• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Travis_H wrote:

It's been a long time since I used shell commands and I made a few mistakes at the beginning, but I was surprised when 'copy ALL FROM System: TO MOS_Backup: CLONE' didn't do what I thought; instead, it created a folder in the location I was -- RAM: -- and copied there, until the ram: drive filled and everything crashed!

Weird.. maybe a typo somewhere, a missing space or so?

Quote:

Perhaps I'll try a couple different sticks of better quality (Sandisk?), or go the piecemeal way.

Yeah, some sticks don't seem to be that reliable, especially with large amounts of small files. Maybe adding buffers for the partition on the stick could help then? Writes would go on bigger chunks then... something like 4096 or so (you can change that with HDConfig or by the AddBuffers shell command).

I have some reliable sticks for backup use and haven't had problems with them, but I always keep the USB prefs window open when doing important copy operations on USB to see if there are fails like nak timeouts. And also double check the result with MirrorCheck to be sure I get a 1:1 copy.
  • »03.04.22 - 15:40
    Profile Visit Website