• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Findings:

First a Fast SSD even if it isn't "compatible" with the G5, makes a enormous difference in performance in Wayfarer. I tested my SSD that many use and is compatible with a PowerMac and a SATA 3 SSD that isn't. Wayfayer runs so much faster. I installed the OWC Black Sata III as a second device and for the most part it runs fine. If you turn it off, it may not see it and you will have to repeat to get it. If you warm reboot it is very reliable and works every time.

I do wish that a 3rd party SATA III controller was compatible with MOS, it would bring speed and options to the Power Mac.

Now on to the file system findings:

ICE - Works really nice with large movie files that won't work with any of the other file system because the are greater than 4 gigs. It seems very reliable for this purpose. If you put any transaction activity intensive program with small files like wayfayer on it and ICE will fail in a short period of time. So for large movie files that don't do much ICE will be your go to.

PFS3 - I have had very good luck so far with PFS3, even formatted a 250GB partition using the 'BETA' version of PFS3 and it works perfect thus far. Cranked the Buffers up to 600. I did find that I had to use the PFSFormat supplied with PFS to get it working. If I just formatted with the native MOS format, the partition would disappear upon next reboot. One other issue is that the PFS Repair doesn't seem to work with the 'BETA' version and large partitions. I do prefer this to SFS because I have many years with it and very comfortable with it. So far it has been bullet proof and hasn't failed. One last kudo to PFS is that is seems much friendlier with AMI-Back that I'm getting working reliable (at least until my Power Mac started acting up!).

SFS - This did get a bit funky when I ran the repair. This may be because I don't have much experience with it and don't know what I'm doing but the repair didn't seem to work.

[ Edited by matt3 01.07.2021 - 14:06 ]
  • »01.07.21 - 18:55