• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

ncafferkey wrote: I used HDConfig on MorphOS 3.7 to create a partition in the unused space at the end of my SAM440's system disk.

Are you saying you are booting MorphOS on your Sam440 system? I thought the Sam440 was unsupported on MorphOS that's all! :-o
    Quote:

ncafferkey wrote: The disk was attached to my MorphOS machine (Peg-II) through a SATA to USB converter.

I take it you are aware that the OS4/68k SFS, certainly v2, is incompatible with MorphOS's version of SFS AFAIK! :-?

Quote:

ncafferkey wrote: When I attempted to boot the SAM from this disk afterwards, it couldn't find the SLB (second-level bootloader), so HDConfig had apparently clobbered it. Would it be possible for HDConfig to preserve the SLB information in the RDB, or is OS4 embedding the SLB in a hacky or non-standard way that the devs don't want to support?

I think this is probably an issue with using the MorphOS specific version of SFS instead of the OS4/68k version. I seem to remember there are major differences with the 2 filesystems - same name, but very confusing that they are now so very much different from one another - IIRC.
    Quote:

ncafferkey wrote: A related problem was that OS4's Media Toolbox reported this RDB error: "rdb_RDBBlocksHi is too low: 2063. It should be 1529977020." Is it right?

I'm not sure frankly, as I don't use the 68k or OS4 SFS filesystems currently, only the MorphOS SFS version. Though maybe someone else in the forum will be able to offer you a more complete response on this topic to you.
    Quote:

ncafferkey wrote: In retrospect I realise what I did was probably silly, but I still think it's an edge case worth mentioning. I also realise that if there *are* any bugs here, they may have been fixed in more recent versions.

As I said, I think it's incompatibilities between the 2 systems, as you don't see on Aminet that SFS is shown as compatible (no butterfly logo) next to the 68k/OS4 versions of SFS, so that is definitely a clue. I can't currently find the link that mentions the 2 versions are incompatible, but I think that is where the issue lies, sadly for you. :-(
    Quote:

ncafferkey wrote: BTW, when I clicked on the empty space and selected to create one partition with the ~129GB available, I wasn't initially warned that the partition was too big for SFS (which was chosen by default IIRC). The size warning tooltip only appeared after I selected another FS for the partition and then switched back to SFS.

Usually as you try to save a partition on a HDD that is too large to be formatted by SFS on MorphOS you get a warning, but initial sizing does not generate a warning - IIRC.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »05.01.21 - 02:47