• Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ncafferkey
    Hi,

I recently came across an apparent incompatibility in the handling of RDB disks between MorphOS and OS4. As I'm not sure if this is a bug (in one or the other OS) or the result of a divergence in standards, I thought I should share my experience.

I used HDConfig on MorphOS 3.7 to create a partition in the unused space at the end of my SAM440's system disk. The disk was attached to my MorphOS machine (Peg-II) through a SATA to USB converter. When I attempted to boot the SAM from this disk afterwards, it couldn't find the SLB (second-level bootloader), so HDConfig had apparently clobbered it. Would it be possible for HDConfig to preserve the SLB information in the RDB, or is OS4 embedding the SLB in a hacky or non-standard way that the devs don't want to support?

A related problem was that OS4's Media Toolbox reported this RDB error: "rdb_RDBBlocksHi is too low: 2063. It should be 1529977020." Is it right?

In retrospect I realise what I did was probably silly, but I still think it's an edge case worth mentioning. I also realise that if there *are* any bugs here, they may have been fixed in more recent versions.

BTW, when I clicked on the empty space and selected to create one partition with the ~129GB available, I wasn't initially warned that the partition was too big for SFS (which was chosen by default IIRC). The size warning tooltip only appeared after I selected another FS for the partition and then switched back to SFS.
  • »05.01.21 - 01:08