• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    What's so difficult to understand is that despite you knowing that most Hollywood program authors do not distribute the required plugins with their programs, you tell Papiosaur that you "don't think [he] should add any plug-in's for Hollywood" to the Chrysalis Pack, which does contain Hollywood programs requiring plugins.

Your assumption that I know that most Hollywood program authors do not distribute the required plug-ins with their programs is completely false, and you should have been able to figure that out with my explanation of how I believe Hollywood programs should be distributed as stand alone products. I could not explain it any clearer than jpv, so perhaps you should just refer to his post on this subject for any further clarification.

Papiosaur will have to include any plug-ins for software poorly distributed without the needed plug-ins, but as jpv stated, it is currently a waste of RAM to include all of the Hollywood plug-ins in LIBS, as they will ALL be loaded, when any Hollywood program is started, if they are needed or not. All Hollywood plug-ins are only needed by purchasers of the Hollywood programming language who intend to use them in their programs, and they know where to get them, and most likely have already downloaded and installed them.

Quote:

Regarding the specific point you are trying to make, I'm not sure about the practical difference between having the plugins included in the executable file or having them included as files in the installation archive.

See jpv's post for the practical implications, and why currently it is not a good idea to have all Hollywood plug-ins installed in a pack intended mostly for users who do not want to "pick and choose" each piece of software they are going to install. For MorphOS, RAM is more important than hard drive space in most, if not all of the MorphOS systems. I made my suggestion, which I think was a valid one, and he can take it or leave it as he sees fit. Papiosaur is smart enough to figure out what to do, and which plug-ins to install, now that he is aware of the implications, that jpV explained clearly.

I'm done with this topic. jpv explained it much better than I did, but he completely understands my reasoning for suggesting that Papiosaur not include all Hollywood plug-ins. I won't waste space in this thread to debate coding styles, and why some Hollywood programmers do NOT include the needed plug-ins for their software. Start another thread for that if you like.

Edit: @OlafSch, if anyone started any drama in this thread, it wasn't me. I just made a simple suggestion, which another member here either did not understand, or like you, just disagrees with. Making such a big deal out of my simple suggestion is my definition of creating drama, where none existed.

[ Edited by amigadave 09.10.2020 - 08:07 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.10.20 - 15:53