• jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Cubic is currently a bit better suited for Hollywood, as Hollwood does not really need project managemnt and running a program is just a click and go (no need to write an executable to disk and run it afterwards).

What I've played around with FlowStudio, is that you can create a new Hollywood project, add your .hws source file to it, and then you can run the program by pressing the "Build" button... while the "Run" button doesn't do anything. So atm it looks for me that you can run the program directly from the GUI, but not compile, and the logic behind the GUI is a bit reversed.

Quote:

With cubic ju can just enter a little code, hit the "run" button and immediately see what happens. That's really nice.

Yes, and you can also run the program with the "resource monitor", which helps you check that you don't "leak" with brushes and other resources into the memory. It's very useful especially for beginners to check this time to time while coding.

Cubic also offers direct options from the GUI to compile the program to any of the supported platforms, couldn't be easier.

Quote:

FlowStudio offers some project mangement closer to what is known from C/C++.
    I think Cubic a a bit easier (donload teh Hollywood plugin and just start writing code), Flowstuio needs a little work to set up a project. No biggie though...

Yeah, Hollywood support is still a bit unfinished in FlowStudio and the whole program is designed mainly with C/C++ in mind, but I guess we Hollywood users should help Nicholai in this regard and send him suggestions and request what we'd find useful, and that way improve the support in the future.

There are also some 3rd party scripts by bitRocky to improve the situation with FlowStudio, check out this thread.

Quote:

I'd suggest CubicIDE for a starter. The hurdle is as low as it probably even can be

Yeah, I agree with this, and I really think the previously mentioned quickhelp that is shown all the time, is really helpful for beginners if you want as smooth as possible start for it. But if you're willing to do certain things from the command line, then FlowStudio is a fine choice too... as said it has unicode support and better code folding feature, which tempts me to change to FlowStudio eventually.

The importance of unicode support is a bit so-so currently in my opinion too. Hollywood uses UTF-8 by default nowadays for its scripts, and if you're using characters that would get encoded (like some umlauts etc for europeans), then it'd be nice that also the editor supports unicode. But if you're writing your source codes just by English words with no special characters, it doesn't matter if the editor supports UTF-8. And you can always disable the UTF-8 from your Hollywood scripts/programs with one line in the source code and do it in ISO 8859-1 if you prefer that.
  • »14.09.20 - 07:20
    Profile Visit Website