• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

OlafSch schrieb:
    @Zylesa

Certainly you can use MorphOS for daily use to some degree and for sure there are much more users using MorphOS daily than Aros users. There were almost nobody using Aros as a main system as far as I know.

But finally software today defines what you can do on a system and there (and additional driver support) is Windows unbeatable. Even Linux cannot compete there. MacOS only in certain specific fields. The broadest support has windows. You also find most informations for windows if you have a problem (f.e. something not working). That is for me much more important than the weaknesses windows certainly has. Think f.e. if your harddrive with important data not working anymore. On Windows you have still chances to save data, on morphos?

If you do not need up-to-date software and only use it for private purposes you can certainly live with morphos too.

You are belittleing MorphOS again. I use up to date software also on MorphOS and I use it privatly as well as for my job and business. But not exclusively. Pluralism is the key.
    Look for example to the castrated UIs of Android apps - doing real work with it? Close to impossible IMHO. Managing files - well, there is total comander which is a great app, but still it is way more efficient to manage files on MorphOS. And try to use them w/o having google listen to everything what you do - not so easy (on ios devices the same, but with Apple in google's position).
    And as far as that software availablility is the key factor. Only partially true. It's more the overall workflow. I do quite different things, but most stuff I can actually do on MorphOS. During the last months of course a video conference software (in particular Zoom) would have been great. Currently probably the most missed thing on MorphOS. But then again that's more an application Android is good for. I keep it pure and hence rather secure on the tablet.
    Other, rather special purpose software I just under windows. Or I replace it with other applications or program a solution for my own. Depends on mood and need. The statistics for my last scientific work I actually did with Turbocalc and custom written statistic functions in Hollywood and a little help from a statistics website). Why? Because it was actually idiotic to let the big dog spss going on that hand full of scores. And to get myself a bit deeper into the used test methods. Just using the "industry standard" makes you boring. I see it enough - all the ppl who fire up spss (or #?) on little things and in particular doing just the learned ANOVA test (where other tests would be be better). Programming it yourself, makes you think about it. Just using Windows and spss instead would make my brain dry out.

In general I wouldn't call any OS better or worse in general. It's totally dependent on the individual use case. I my case MorphOS does most of the stuff best.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »18.08.20 - 20:37
    Profile Visit Website