• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    - Despite the pros, its userbase is still small and inactive even in the Amiga scale

That is true but changes hopefully now (with being official OS of Vampire)

I think jPV speak about 26 years of AROS being on the market and not really having changed much.
    Quote:

- Isn't binary compatible with 68k Amiga software and doesn't have compatible enough components for re-compiling all the stuff in practise either

That is not true at all. I use this feature for a long time

I didn't know AROS (in genral, and not only 68k-AROS) was binary compatible. Since when? Does it only have an 68k emulator or also a JIT? I think I have seen Amiga Writer or Art Effect once on a screenshot but I must have forgot about that.
    Quote:

- Zune is far from being MUI compatible (many features aren't implemented or crash directly if a programmer tries to use them, many features have glitches)

Zune certainly is by far not perfect but you can easily use MUI

I did not know you can install MUI on AROS (not only 68k-AROS). Wherre is the download packege for x86 or ARM or PPC? I did not find it.
    Quote:

- It's still lacking some basic stuff and is the most unstable Amiga compatible OSdespite being available for the longest time

I do not know what features you mean here. I also do not share your view of unstability here. It is true that not everything is implemented fully 3.1 compatible. That is the strange thing about AROS, offering lots of sophisticated features and at the same time lacking some basics. But compatibility is pretty high despite that.

AROS still delivers many crashes in daily work. Not really fun to play with it. Wouldn't it make sense to finally complete 3.1 compatibility after 26 years before starting "sophisticated" features? Which ones are they by the way? I haven't found some until today. I don't see a reason for a sophisticated feature when the basic is still crashing here or there.
    Quote:

- Doesn't have proper desktop program built-in, Wanderer is way too basic

Yes but there is Magellan (both for 68k and X86)

There is also Scalos but both run on any Amiga type anyway, and the Wanderer is still lacking many basics. So this is no benefit of AROS. But maybe the AROS devs decided "DOpus is any way better so we don't need Wanderer any more". Maybe Wanderer should be removed from AROS to not have to use it any longer.
    Quote:

- Development seems to be quite "random"

Yes behind "core" AROS development there was never anybody feeling responsible for the "package". That is different now on 68k
    [ Editiert durch OlafSch 14.08.2020 - 10:42 ]

68k-AROS is only a small part of AROS. It is not that the 68k actiivty brings the same benefit for all other architectures. So you cannot say that AROS in genreal is that far.
  • »14.08.20 - 12:47