• ASiegel
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I interpret takemehomegrandma's emphasis on the importance of a real MUI GUI as evidence that he actually did not write his comment from a pure user perspective.

My argument is that he might have erroneously specified a technical requirement that is not necessarily needed to accomplish what he desires as an end user.

He has already clarified that his original post should not be taken too seriously and that he was merely trying to show appreciation for jaca's efforts and the presumed possibilities his work will offer in the future. I am perfectly fine with that. Apparently, you are not.

Quote:

What I'm wondering about, in terms of software to fill important holes in the MorphOS software pool as well as in terms of setting up arbitrary purity rules, is the consistency of dismissing an X11 solution on the one hand because it likely lessens the motivation of developing real MorphOS software (I can dig up the quotes if wanted), and endorsing local use of web technologies on the other hand. But maybe there are and have always been two distinct groups of people and I just mix them up :-)

There is no "endorsement" of web technologies. Plenty of reservations about this all around.

That said, in order to have at least some real world value as a provider of alternative operating systems you have to offer some modern web browser nowadays. As has been extensively documented, this is actually quite difficult and requires a massive amount of work.

Given that this is more or less a mandatory investment in terms of time and effort, doesn't it make sense to try to reuse all this work for more than a web browser?

The same does not quite apply to X11 environments. Personally, I also find software that may utilize web technologies but is specifically created / adapted for use on MorphOS and can easily interact with other MorphOS applications and the OS (Ambient, OS printing, AREXX / LUA, etc.) to be a preferable choice. Unlike you, I do not consider them to be an equivalent to X11 applications with a familiar window skin. But then again, I cannot say I have any particular interest in discussing this at length and convincing you of anything.
  • »09.04.20 - 14:19