• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    I guess most of us were kinda around when it started (as in using Amigas around 2001).

Weren't we all there, when it started back in '85? Heh :)

Seriously though, I switched from OS4 about a decade ago, after a relative short yet very bad experience with SamEP440/OS4 combo. Prior, I could't justify the money needed for PPC legacy boards, so my 1200 was never expanded up to the point of being MorphOS compatible and when Peg I/II were sold I was focused on the PC, thus I couldn't afford to keep upgrading on two or more platforms.

Gathered money, spent them on my 1st NG, got burned. This was the only time which giving up on the Amiga crossed my mind. Then a friend suggested MorphOS. While I had never sheen it in action - and was greatly undermentioned / badmouthed on international amiga fora, I chipped in a small amount when a 2nd hand PMac G4 became available. I thought, what the hell 200 euros more or less compared to what I had spent already wouldn't make any difference and if MorphOS didn't work, then I would stop this NG endeavor.

Well, I still remember the moment it booted, same like I felt when my A500 first started. The speed, the quickness, the features, stability, compared to whatever Amiga solution had passed from my hand up to that point. Basically, if I could design an Amiga OS, that's the why I would choose to go (with a damn dual lister on Ambient, Jesus Christ just do it already! :P). I also tripled booted it with MacOS (can't remember the version) and an Ubuntu distro, which were both significantly inferior to what mattered to me the most, so I single partitioned the drive and MorphOS never shared any bits with another OS :)

That said my only complain has to do with the weirdness of the Apple systems, which makes it very difficult to upgrade/work with on hardware level. I bought (used) Apple only because of MorphOS and will never - ever bought any again when MorphOS slowly drifts away from PPC.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »10.02.20 - 15:39
    Profile Visit Website