• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Edicus_Rex wrote:
    Right on, Dave- after talking to my young friend (I'm 47) I thought, "oh man, Amiga needs young blood!" :)

You know what could be a lot of fun is to hold a hackathon with a cash prize- teams compete to write software for MorphOS after being given a theme. "Create software to check public transit times in Barcelona" "Write a word processor competitor to google docs called MorphOS docs"

Winning team takes home the purse.

Or even find a way to get HS kids interested somehow.

My wheels are spinning

Don't get too worked up yet. You haven't been around here, or probably the rest of the Amiga and MorphOS communities lately, and might need a dose of reality to curb your enthusiasm, but I'm glad you are interested in my suggestions.

It is hard to promote an OS that has the limitations that MorphOS inherited from AmigaOS when they (correctly) chose to make it compatible, and able to run a lot of Amiga software through MorphOS translation layer. It is also hard to promote anything on PPC hardware, that is only available used, or embedded based motherboards that are very expensive, but I think we still can attract "some" new users. Then there is the fact that learning how to program for MorphOS (and AmigaOS3 and 4) is not easy, and programming tools are limited. For me, even if we only bring in a few dozen to a few hundred new users, and if only 1 to 10 of those new users are programmers willing to write native MorphOS software occasionally, then my efforts are well rewarded.

Raising money and/or donations of hardware won't be as easy as you might think. Specially large sums of money, or expensive hardware, but I'll keep an open mind, and hope for the best. First, lets see who else is interested in working on promoting MorphOS to new users.

Edit: I'm not sure where you live, but High School kids in the USA would laugh at anyone trying to promote the use of any Amiga or MorphOS system to them. There might be one or two who would be interested in running an Amiga emulator on their existing computer, or a Raspberry Pi, just to see what the games looked like 30 years ago.

What I think we need first is ideas, artwork and advertising bullet points, or slogans. Then we can work on figuring out where and how we are going to present the advertising materials, and how much money is needed to buy advertising space. Lastly we figure out how we are going to raise that advertising money.

[ Edited by amigadave 27.08.2019 - 08:19 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »27.08.19 - 02:32