MorphOS 3.12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v15.lha

There are more recent versions, the most recent being yt_v20 from 3 months ago. Or is there a specific reason to use v15, seeing as you reported v20 as non-working a month ago?

Oh, took the wrong link. This one is OK: http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v20.lha
    There are only some videos, which are blocked by advertisement here in Austria - they won't run. For these it's better to use Invidious ( https://www.invidio.us/ ).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »09.10.19 - 08:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> yt_v20

> Oh, took the wrong link. This one is OK:
    > http://igracki.square7.ch/download.php?file=yt_v20.lha

...but still worse than mine, which is clickable ;-)
  • »09.10.19 - 17:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Welcome from the 2019 AmiWest Show! I'm posting this message from my 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook, with a 2nd monitor connected to the DVi output via a DVi to HDMI adapter, connected to a 37" 720p LCD TV. The TV display is working, but the laptop display is scrambled, even after adjusting the screen prefs to use the native 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? Unfortunately, I did not have time to test dual monitor display before coming to the show.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.10.19 - 20:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    How about VRAM? Tried unchecking the enhanced display?
  • »26.10.19 - 21:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    How about VRAM? Tried unchecking the enhanced display?

I've got 128mb VRAM, and reduced the color depth to 16bit for both screens, so I doubt that I am running out of video memory, but I'll try turning off the enhanced display to see if it helps.

Edit: Can I use two different screen resolution sizes for the different displays?

[ Edited by amigadave 26.10.2019 - 13:45 ]
  • »26.10.19 - 21:44
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Can I use two different screen resolution sizes for the different displays?

You can. Please consider asking via IRC on #morphos for more timely instructions but note that it is quite late in Europe already.

Also, if you have access to an external keyboard and mouse, you could just close the lid before MorphOS shows its boot logo. This way, your Powerbook will work just like a desktop computer.
  • »26.10.19 - 22:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Can I use two different screen resolution sizes for the different displays?

You can. Please consider asking via IRC on #morphos for more timely instructions but note that it is quite late in Europe already.

Also, if you have access to an external keyboard and mouse, you could just close the lid before MorphOS shows its boot logo. This way, your Powerbook will work just like a desktop computer.

I know it is too late to get a reply today, but I'm hoping that someone will reply to this question while I am sleeping, and I'll find my answers when I wake up. I want to demonstrate the new ability to display two screens at the same time, with different content, and at different resolutions, from my PowerBook, as I think that being able to work from two screens is very useful. I can't imagine going back to using only one display on my Windows desktop, which is why I want to show this working on my MorphOS system. I think others at the show will also find it useful. I doubt that I will be able to get on IRC to ask questions, but maybe I will try tomorrow, before it gets too late in Europe.
  • »26.10.19 - 23:56
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Welcome from the 2019 AmiWest Show! I'm posting this message from my 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook, with a 2nd monitor connected to the DVi output via a DVi to HDMI adapter, connected to a 37" 720p LCD TV. The TV display is working, but the laptop display is scrambled, even after adjusting the screen prefs to use the native 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Do you mean that you got 1680x1050 on the external display? I guess that you are thinking it wrong way how this should work. The display isn't mirrored or desktop "extended" or anything like that, but you just work with normal Amiga style screens here. Certain screenmodes are just shown on the internal display and certain on the external. So, you have to have at least two screens open to have a display on both monitors. In the initial situation you only have one screen set/open and other is scrambled because it isn't set in use (I don't know if developers could make it blank or something, but in the current version it's just scrambled).

So, if you take a closer look at the screen mode list, for example, in MorphOS Preferences -> Screens -> Ambient (or any other screen), you can see there are screenmodes starting with "Radeon9700Mob" and "Radeon9700Mob.1". "Radeon9700Mob" modes are for the internal display and modes ending to ".1" are for the external display.

You could do like this, for instance:

1) Edit the Ambient screen to open to "Radeon9700Mob 24bit 1680 x 1050" to get Ambient displayed on the PowerBook's internal display.
    2) Create a new screen and set it to use a "Radeon9700Mob.1" mode that matches native resolution of your external TV. You can name the screen as "Extrenal" or something like that if you want a generic screen that can contain several programs.
    3) Set any MUI program you want to use the external screen by using program's MUI settings, or by sending it to the external screen temporarily by using the "Jump to Screen" option from the window popup menu button. If you don't have that button, enable it from the global MUI preferences (Windows -> Titlebar has a ... popup button).
    4) Swap between the screens by the screen depth gadget or the command-m shortcut to get the mouse pointer to the wanted screen.

Here's a tutorial how to make OWB to use its own screen, you can look at it as an example how to set a program to a different screen. Just remember to select a mode ending to ".1" in this case. Making OWB to Use Its Own Screen

[ Edited by jPV 27.10.2019 - 08:59 ]
  • »27.10.19 - 07:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @jPV

If he gets a picture on the external screen at boot without closing the lid or setting Ambient that way in prefs something is off.

Default behaviour is, Ambient opens on the internal, external stays dark till you open a ".1" screenmode.
  • »27.10.19 - 08:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Default behaviour is, Ambient opens on the internal, external stays dark till you open a ".1" screenmode.

Not here. On my PowerBook when I hook an external monitor it shows mirror display till I open a ".1" screenmode.
  • »27.10.19 - 08:52
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Humm... everyone is having different experience then.

On my PowerBook 5,9 if I have external monitor connected and boot from the ISO ( = clean system) with the lid open, the MorphOS bootpic is shown on the internal display, but then I get Ambient displayed on the external monitor (already at the keyboard selection window) and the internal display shows trashed graphics. I have to manually configure Ambient to the internal display on the installed system then. This sounds exactly like on amigadave's machine, and I have thought it's a normal situation :)

[ Edited by jPV 27.10.2019 - 10:04 ]
  • »27.10.19 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @jPV

Yeah, I guess I have to correct mysel. On ISO boot (aka no screenmode saved in prefs) thats normal, heck on my PMacG4 Ambient will even open on the Voodoo in that case.....
  • »27.10.19 - 09:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    By default, the system will open using a screenmode with highest resolution. Once you save a screen size, it'll do its best to find a matching mode. That said, there's currently no logic which display path to pick when selecting a mode (so whether it'll pick a 1680x on internal or external display is undefined). Hopefully I'll have a chance to improve this for 3.14.
  • »27.10.19 - 09:21
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @jaca

Well that explains that
    Radeon -> 1600x1024
    Voodoo -> 1680x1050
  • »27.10.19 - 09:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @jPV,

Thanks, I was hoping for a "step-by-step" message that could walk me through setting up the dual monitor displays, to show everyone at the show. I'll probably set up OWB on the 37" TV, and leave Ambient on the PowerBook's built-in LCD. Then I'll also demo a few other programs on the larger screen, if I can get them working like OWB. I knew I could count on you guys, thanks.

I was looking for the tool to monitor the different temperature sensors in both my PowerBook, and my G5 PowerMac, but couldn't find the tool. I think I remember reading somewhere that the fan control tool is a command line only tool, but thought that there might be other tools for displaying the temperature of the different sensors. I think that the liquid cooling system in my G5 PowerMac isn't working properly, so I'll be using my backup (unregistered) Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac at some points during the day. I was thinking of possibly trying to sell my backup system. Both G5's have Apple X800XT video cards, which is nice.

I'll report more later, but now I need to get back to getting ready for the show to begin this morning.
  • »27.10.19 - 16:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I was looking for the tool to monitor the different temperature sensors in both my PowerBook, and my G5 PowerMac, but couldn't find the tool.

Do you mean SensorsList?
  • »27.10.19 - 17:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    The PowerMac7FanControl doesn't work on a PowerBook.
  • »27.10.19 - 18:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Think, you are searching for that tool:

https://bigfoot.morphos-team.net/test/PowerMac7FanControl

Thanks for the link and thanks to igracki for the "SensorList" suggestion, I will check them both out in a few minutes.

I did get my external display working, and have OWB running on the 37" TV, and ambient on my laptop LCD. I really like having two displays to work with. Now to download and install more 3rd party software. Daniel is here and kindly has provided a link to the MorphOS version for Bomberman, that will be the first thing I install and try out. It was great that he could make the trip here to attend AmiWest 2019, and it was also great meeting his beautiful wife and their baby. That is one of the best things about attending shows in person, instead of just watching videos of the events online, you get to meet wonderful people, and make friends.
  • »27.10.19 - 18:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Well, the 2019 AmiWest Show is starting to wind down, as more and more people need to leave to catch their flights home, or some need to leave because of the fires and electrical shut down. So this will be my last message posted from my MorphOS system at the show. I didn't have the time I wanted to prepare properly, so I'll have to do a better job of that next year. It was great meeting some new people, and seeing many younger people attending this year's show. And as always, it was great seeing my old friends, after not being able to attend AmiWest the past few years.

I want to encourage all of you reading this message to consider coming to a future AmiWest Show. It is always good to meet with like minded people, who share your interests and enjoy your hobby. Consider planning a trip to see the USA, and do it during the month of October, so you can also attend AmiWest.
  • »27.10.19 - 22:13
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Bomberman for Mos? I dont know it?!
    regards
    eliot
  • »28.10.19 - 06:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Swap between the screens by the screen depth gadget or the command-m
    > shortcut to get the mouse pointer to the wanted screen.

Unless misread, this sounds like MorphOS 3.16 now behaves more like mainstream operating systems:

"Intuition
    Reimplemented handling of monitors with multiple outputs, enabling mouse movement between displays
    "
    https://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.16
  • »09.03.22 - 15:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    There seems to be a serious issue in 3.16 screen blanking!
    I've "no blanker" choosen and after a while (without action), screen went black (as is does also in MOS <3.16). But it is'nt possible to wake up system again (can only reboot)!! System seems to run (can access drives in Envoy), but doesnt accept any input from mouse or keyboard (USB)
    Never had seen this behaviour before MOS 3.16.
    It happens on both G5-2.3GHz where I've installed MOS3.16 till yet. Graphiccard is in both cases a Radeon 9600P.

Is there any possibility to switch that blanking completely off?
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »11.03.22 - 19:34
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    beworld
    @AmigaHarry2 you can put 0 minute to disable it

[ Edité par beworld 11.03.2022 - 20:52 ]
    IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »11.03.22 - 19:52
    Profile Visit Website