• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Sonnet PCI cards (i.e. Crescendo 7200) max out at 500 MHz.
    >> Faster cards supported by SonnetLibrary are not Sonnet cards
    >> but various PMC cards to be installed on a PCI carrier board.

> The card I was offered via eBay was listed as a Sonnet card pulled from a Mac clone.

Only PCI cards (or non-PCI cards on a PCI carrier) are of use in a PCI-enabled classic Amiga. Faster than 500 MHz Sonnet cards are not PCI but for proprietary Apple connectors.

> If the listing was incorrect, at least it made me aware of the availability of 800 MHz card.

If the listing claimed it was a PCI card, then it definitely was incorrect. Overall, non-PCI Sonnet cards go up to 1.8 GHz.

> I you now state that there were 1 GHz cards.

As I wrote, these are not Sonnet PCI cards but various (non-Sonnet) PMC cards to be installed on a PCI carrier board. The support library is called SonnetLibrary simply because it all started with Sonnet PCI cards. Most cards currently supported by SonnetLibrary are non-Sonnet cards, though.

> the few G4 level cpus still available range around 1.3 GHz (unless you include the 7448).

None of these Sonnet cards are PCI so irrelevant for PCI-enabled classic Amiga.

So provide me some info about the PMC cards.
    And the Mac compatible the card was listed along with Sonnet cards, and was listed as PCI, not a proprietary interface.

But again, could be wrong.
    As to the 1.3 GHz cpus I was referring to, that's just the stock of processors NXP has left (outside of the 7448). Its surprisingly very few.

So, references for the PMC cards and the carriers?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »30.05.19 - 15:47