• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    Just checked to see what the price of the Blackbird mobo is now, and I saw that they are not currently available. I wonder if that is because they have been successful in selling many of the boards, or just because they only had very few manufactured? It's still an expensive computer, when compared to what is available in x64 land, but I'm sure many MorphOS users and team members can't help but wonder what it would be like to run MorphOS on such a powerful CPU. If there were ever any plan to develop real SMP for the PPC version of MorphOS, even if it means breaking backward compatibility with old Amiga software, the Blackbird would be a great high end choice for such version of MorphOS. Even without any guarantee of getting a port of MorphOS, I would participate in a crowd funding attempt to purchase 2 to 5 Blackbird motherboards to be given to Bigfoot and any other MotphOS Dev. Team members who showed an interest in at least working on a proof of concept port to the Blackbird.

I wouldn't mind running Linux on a Blackbird as my daily computer, while waiting for a possible port of MorphOS, but probably I would wait until the port was finished, or an official announcement was made confirming that a port was coming, before I would spend that much money on any PPC system.

Sorry but i don`t get it why we should raise money to buy a Blackbird Board and give it to the Devs.
    This will only slow down the development of MorphOS on AMD64. And why would one want that?
    The Blackbird is more expansive then a full Ryzen Desktop System. And it`s slower has less USB Ports and so on. And it would be a dead end.
    I say let`s concentrate on the future with CPU and GPU.
    We need that ISA switch. And i am happy that the Devs are working on MorphOS on AMD64.
    I own a G5 2,7Ghz with a Radeon9800Pro. And what i would like to see is not more drivers for every GCN Generation. Instead IMHO the MorphOS Team should concentrate the whole forte in AMD64 Port and Polaris or Navi GPU drivers
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »21.08.20 - 10:24