• rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Even with considerations for some of the residual hard feeling for Ben Herman's, I'd recommend considering Hyperion as a source for OS 3.1.

Cloanto's claim to ownership is somewhat threadbare, and their original license dates back to a company that no longer exists.
    And that is what it was, a license.
    Transactions made with Amiga Inc. after it granted Hyperion the sole right to develop from OS3.1 are highly suspect.

You all may not like this, but this is likely to be resolved in courts in the state I live in, and I'm fairly familiar with the law.

And with previous judgements in their favor, it looks like the courts will rule in favor of Hyperion in this matter.

Hyperion have previously sub licensed the Amiga OS IP. to third parties going back to 2012 when they licensed production of 3.1 ROMs to Amigakit. Individual Computers currently hold licenses to supply Kickstart 1.2, 1.3 and 3.1 with the ACA500+. According to product information page, the new Buddha IDE cards come with OS versions 1.3, 2.0 and 3.1 included.

It would seem that Hyperion are the guys to go to but whether they would be prepared to do a deal relating to a product for a competing OS, especially considering past history, is another matter.

@Papiosaur

I would advise making enquiries with both Cloanto and Hyperion to determine what either party may or may not be willing to offer and then holding off until the dusts settles over rights and ownership, so that you don't fall foul of any future judgment in court or outside settlement.

In the meantime you could do what Amikit does by extracting the files from other legal sources that many user already have or can easily purchase.

[ Edited by rob 14.06.2018 - 22:29 ]
  • »14.06.18 - 22:28