• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

gazza wrote:
    guys id much prefer an old G4 compared to what people are asking for used Amiga 1200's

There are numerous ads on ebay for over $1200 to $2000 AUD for a crappy old Amiga 1200.
    A g4 runs rings around that crappy old Amiga.

$100 for a mac mini? seriously that's the bargain of the century.
    who in their right minds would pay over $400 for an Amiga 1200?
    Seriously...

Agreed, even though I have G5 hardware, about a year or so ago I purchased a G4 with a registered copy of MorphOS from redrumloa. I've never regretted that decision.
    The system is definitely easier to open up and work on than the G5.
    And while I'd like a faster cpu, the Xserve 1.33 GHz cpu I installed in place of red's works pretty close to where my last G4 at 1.42 Ghz performed.
    With a plug-in video card, and I think after the cost of the license is factored in a lower price than the Mac Mini you mentioned...its a keeper.
    Plus, before we ha G5 support, this is where the R500 driver work got started.
    Why do you think the FireGL X3 is supported (since it has to be reflashed)?
    Because it was the cheapest way to get an X800XT comparable card into a G4 (at the time).
    And btw, while I'm a big fan of Mark Olsen, let me throw out a big thanks to Frank Mariak for having the guts to recommend our only officially supported re-flashed card.
    You two guys still floor me when it comes to your competency and commitment to the platform.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.04.18 - 17:56