Cloanto sues Hyperion
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Amigadave

I agree that wishing Hyperion did not exist is not necessarily a totally negative comment, I never said it was..

However, the statement that I WAS talking about was,

"I just want shit to hit the fan and everything to fall apart. Any legal claim lost, all fucked. That would make me laugh and I wouldnt care at all."

Go ahead and let me know exactly how useful and positive this statement is/was.
    This kind of bullshit comment is of no value to anyone (Other than the author who clearly has no intent on debating anything civilly)

You are correct in that I should probably give up on hoping for anything of value to ever come from anything online moving forward.

Sad but true..
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »06.11.18 - 19:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
    Amigadave

I agree that wishing Hyperion did not exist is not necessarily a totally negative comment, I never said it was..

However, the statement that I WAS talking about was,

"I just want shit to hit the fan and everything to fall apart. Any legal claim lost, all fucked. That would make me laugh and I wouldnt care at all."

Go ahead and let me know exactly how useful and positive this statement is/was.
    This kind of bullshit comment is of no value to anyone (Other than the author who clearly has no intent on debating anything civilly)

You are correct in that I should probably give up on hoping for anything of value to ever come from anything online moving forward.

Sad but true..

Your join date says 2009, but how long have you really been watching the online "Amiga Kommunity"? How closely were you watching since you became a part of it? A majority of us started off as a part of the internet Kommunity in the mid 90s. There is a mountain of baggage.

The MorphOS team certainly don't and most MorphOS users don't consider the OS to be an "Amiga" for a very good reason. Morphzone is a thing for a reason.

There is no fixing the "Amiga Kommunity" as long as Hyperion (and arguably McBill's Amiga Inc) are around. Many of us do still own an Amiga Classic, but we stay far far away from the "Kommunity". It is toxic and the legacy forums have absolutely nothing to offer. They are corporate fan sites for a company, A-Eonkit. The classic platform itself has a handful of nice hardware release, but a flat ZERO when it comes to software releases in nearly 2 decades. The best and brightest are long gone, mostly to MorphOS.

Your idea of people ignoring serious litigation and coming together for a zen session is simply not happening. The Amiga Kommunity is the most toxic retro community in the history of computers. Again, that's why most of us don't consider ourselves "Amigans" even if we own a classic.

[ Edited by redrumloa 06.11.2018 - 19:10 ]
  • »07.11.18 - 01:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    redrumloa does not speak for me, and I disagree that he speaks for the majority of MorphOS users, or the MorphOS Dev. Team members.

I consider MorphOS an Amiga variant, and part of the "Amiga Kommunity", as he likes to phrase it, even though I do admit that MorphOS users and developers have also carved out a tiny niche community of their own, I still consider them all part of the Amiga community.

redrumloa might, or might not be expressing the opinions of a majority of users, but that is not my experience, and I doubt that there is any way to prove which way the majority feels accurately, since the community is so fractured now. I do believe that the classic users are still far more numerous than any other sub group, and I don't believe that there is a large difference between any of the sub groups, in the number of software applications that have been written over the last 15 years.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.11.18 - 02:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I do believe that the classic users are still far more numerous than any other sub group

Not still. There was a resurgence. In the naughties, 68k classic was stone cold dead, people simply weren't interested with the NG machines out. I can say that from some confidence from the number of 68k builds of software, and the number of downloads, and the interest in 68k ports in general. What happened to Amithlon in particular seemed to gut interest in 68k beyond a very low emulator-based level, though I admit classic accelerators still sold for some reason.

It's only recently the retro scene has made a comeback. And, before 3.1.4, it had all the indicators of being healthy and vibrant - you know, like that of other platforms. That's why I said earlier in this thread that I'd prefer Hyperion have no part in the retro. And boy was I proven right. Trouble follows them like stink follows a skunk.

[ Edited by KennyR 07.11.2018 - 15:38 ]
  • »07.11.18 - 16:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the legacy forums [...] are corporate fan sites for a company, A-Eonkit.

That's not the impression I get by reading forums like EAB, Amiga.org, AmiBay or a1k.org. They don't seem to care much for A-Eon.

Amiga.org and AWN are actually owned by A-Eonkit, their staff are largely A-Eonkit employees. EAB always seemed a 2nd tier site, but you may be partially correct. However even there an A-Eonkit employee is a moderator and key figure. Amibay is just worried about Amibay, that's rotten in its own way. a1k.org I can't speak for since I don't speak German.

The biggest Facebook Amiga fan page is relatively healthy since most users seem to be Johnny Come Lately members. That's about it.

Quote:

> The classic platform itself has [...] a flat ZERO when
    > it comes to software releases in nearly 2 decades.

That's also not the impression I get.

http://aminet.net/search?o_date=newer&date=20000101&arch=m68k-amigaos&sort=date&ord=DESC
    http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/list.php?list_year_option=more&list_year=2000
    http://www.indieretronews.com/search/label/Amiga

I meant AAA games or must have software. I'm not going to knock learner hobbyist releases and AMOS creators, but they are not premiere must have releases. The contrast between the Amiga platform and the C64 platform could not be more stark. You can't go a few days without something like the Limbo Preview dropping. Sam's Journey is one of the best platformers I have ever played. Heck, even Megapatch 3 for Geos just got a massive update.

Where's the Amiga equivalent? Retro Wars? The Dream Of Rownan? Not so much IMO.

[ Edited by redrumloa 07.11.2018 - 13:42 ]
  • »07.11.18 - 19:39
    Doffo
    And now for a Commercial Break:

Commercial
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »07.11.18 - 19:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

That's not the impression I get by reading forums like EAB, Amiga.org, AmiBay or a1k.org. They don't seem to care much for A-Eon.

Amiga.org and AWN are actually owned by A-Eonkit, their staff are largely A-Eonkit employees.

I must say that neither Steve, nor Tommi, nor Sibbi (the 3 remaining staff at AW) ever were or are employees of A-eon and/or Amigakit.

• »07.11.18 - 19:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Amiga.org and AWN are actually owned by A-Eonkit, their staff are largely A-Eonkit employees.

I must say that neither Steve, nor Tommi, nor Sibbi (the 3 remaining staff at AW) ever were or are employees of A-eon and/or Amigakit.

Matthew and FOL are no longer associated with the site they own?
  • »07.11.18 - 20:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> the legacy forums [...] are corporate fan sites for a company, A-Eonkit.

>> That's not the impression I get by reading forums like EAB, Amiga.org,
    >> AmiBay or a1k.org. They don't seem to care much for A-Eon.

> Amiga.org and AWN are actually owned by A-Eonkit

As I wrote, Amiga.org doesn't read like an A-Eon fan site to me and most regulars there don't seem to care much for A-Eon.

> their staff are largely A-Eonkit employees.

I don't think that's true for either Amiga.org or AWN.

> EAB always seemed a 2nd tier site, but you may be partially correct.

2nd tier? Isn't EAB the world's biggest Amiga forum site? And of course, I'm fully correct :-)

> However even there an A-Eonkit employee is a moderator and key figure.

While EAB moderator FOL is indeed an AmigaKit employee, EAB doesn't read like an A-Eon fan site to me and most regulars there don't seem to care much for A-Eon.

> Amibay is just worried about Amibay

Indeed, no A-Eon fan site.

> a1k.org I can't speak for since I don't speak German.

No A-Eon fan site, trust me.

So the question remains: Which sites are "the legacy forums" that "are corporate fan sites for a company, A-Eonkit"?

>>> The classic platform itself has [...] a flat ZERO when
    >>> it comes to software releases in nearly 2 decades.

>> That's also not the impression I get.

> I meant AAA games or must have software.

Okay, this is a different statement from just "software releases".

> Where's the Amiga equivalent? Retro Wars? The Dream Of Rownan?
    > Not so much IMO.

More like the games by Pixelglass, Retroguru, Night OWL Design or Anachronia I'd say.
  • »07.11.18 - 22:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> neither Steve, nor Tommi, nor Sibbi (the 3 remaining staff at AW)
    >> ever were or are employees of A-eon and/or Amigakit.

> Matthew and FOL are no longer associated with the site they own?

At least F0L has always just been a normal AWN member.

Edit: According to the Wayback Machine, he became "Team Member" somewhen between May and September 2021.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 10.10.2022 - 15:54 ]
  • »07.11.18 - 23:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> neither Steve, nor Tommi, nor Sibbi (the 3 remaining staff at AW)
    >> ever were or are employees of A-eon and/or Amigakit.

> Matthew and FOL are no longer associated with the site they own?

At least F0L has always just been a normal AWN member.

I agree with Andreas_Wolf, and as a former active moderator for both AmigaWorld.net and Amiga.org during, or shortly after A-Eon acquired both forum sites, I can tell you that neither Trevor, or Matthew wanted to be involved in the day-to-day activities of running or moderating either site. They always stated that they wanted the sites to remain community run. To my knowledge, that desire to have the community members run both sites has not changed, even though Trevor, and/or Matthew might have made a few changes to the rules of either site, for users, and moderators.
  • »08.11.18 - 02:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I agree with Andreas_Wolf, and as a former active moderator for both AmigaWorld.net and Amiga.org during, or shortly after A-Eon acquired both forum sites, I can tell you that neither Trevor, or Matthew wanted to be involved in the day-to-day activities of running or moderating either site.

I was a moderator for Wayne's AO up until shortly after -redacted- bought the site. They most certainly were meddling, I'll leave it at that.

-Edit-
    Wrong owner mentioned.

[ Edited by redrumloa 08.11.2018 - 15:29 ]
  • »08.11.18 - 15:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I agree with Andreas_Wolf, and as a former active moderator for both AmigaWorld.net and Amiga.org during, or shortly after A-Eon acquired both forum sites, I can tell you that neither Trevor, or Matthew wanted to be involved in the day-to-day activities of running or moderating either site.

I was a moderator for Wayne's AO up until shortly after A-Eonkit bought the site. They most certainly were meddling, I'll leave it at that.

Define what you mean by "meddling", or just accept that you are attempting to express a negative personal opinion, which I am fairly sure you can't get any other current or former moderators to agree with you on.

If you mean that meddling means that they have used the forum site to advertise their own products, I won't disagree, but anyone who wishes to advertise on the site can do so by purchasing advertising space. A-Eon just happened to buy the whole site when it became available, and therefore don't need to pay themselves for advertising space.

I don't agree with 100% of what A-Eon, or AmigaKit do, or say, but I didn't see any fault in how they asked the moderators and other A.org & AWN administrators to run the sites. On occasion, one or more of the moderators have acted too strong in their attempts to restrict or lessen disruptions by confrontational members, but that is not the fault of the site owners, and often other moderators, site admins, and/or Matthew & Trevor, have admonished over zealous moderators, for their actions.

I won't waste anymore of my time arguing with you about their "meddling", just show me one other moderator, or site admin that shares your opinion on that false accusation.

Sorry to the rest of you for going so far off topic, I'm done.

[ Edited by amigadave 08.11.2018 - 08:02 ]
  • »08.11.18 - 16:59
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    I was a moderator for Wayne's AO up until shortly after A-Eonkit bought the site. They most certainly were meddling, I'll leave it at that.

Actually, Wayne sold the website to DiscreetFX who owned it for several years before finally passing it on to the current owners...
  • »08.11.18 - 17:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Actually, Wayne sold the website to DiscreetFX who owned it for several years before finally passing it on to the current owners...

Didn't he sell it to some imaginary "Mozilla executive" and some mental storyline was perpetuated by Bill P for a few years about him acting on behalf of this imaginary man
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »08.11.18 - 17:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Whops! Yeah, I have egg on my face as I forgot that step completely.

The bulk of the meddling I am thinking of was during the DiscreetFX period.

My apologies to A-Eonkit.

[ Edited by redrumloa 08.11.2018 - 15:34 ]
  • »08.11.18 - 21:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:

Didn't he sell it to some imaginary "Mozilla executive" and some mental storyline was perpetuated by Bill P for a few years about him acting on behalf of this imaginary man

Yeah that was the rumor being pushed. Someone behind the scenes running the site was doing some not so friendly things. I'm trying to remember if the Amigakit account was also a moderator/admin during this period. My memory ain't what it used to be, and I haven't thought about this period since well before I left the site for good.

Someone behind the scenes was trolling the existing moderators held over from previous ownership.
  • »08.11.18 - 21:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

I won't waste anymore of my time arguing with you about their "meddling", just show me one other moderator, or site admin that shares your opinion on that false accusation.

I confused DiscreetFX ownership period with early A-Eonkit ownership. Another moderator or site admin? Wayne Hunt. He stayed on for a while helping out after the transition. I mention him because he publicly stated his distaste on some things that were done. Others I won't mention because they didn't air any drama. They just quietly moved on. Some of those names should be pretty easy to figure out though.

[ Edited by redrumloa 08.11.2018 - 15:33 ]
  • »08.11.18 - 21:33
    KennyR
    Everyone knows that Wayne Hunt was Amiga.org's "rogue moderator", Red. Things were done that even a normal moderator couldn't do, like deleting private messages.
  • »08.11.18 - 22:54
    KennyR
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

Source with link in following post

Looks like the floppies and roms will be C&D'd too then.

Hyperion desperately trying to make money to survive, dragging dealers into the mess.
  • »08.11.18 - 23:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
    So Magicm please go ahead and continue wishing the worst on anything Amiga and continue to live your sorry dark and depressing life.. I will simply try to ignore the hate... Which seems to be a more difficult proposition every day

I'm tired of the Amiga drama and want an end. I dont care if OS4 is gone, Hype goes down with it..scorched earth. Looking forward to more shit hitting the fan :-)

Its the same situation like ligma.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 08.11.2018 - 20:37 ]
  • »09.11.18 - 03:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Your join date says 2009, but how long have you really been watching the online "Amiga Kommunity"? How closely were you watching since you became a part of it? A majority of us started off as a part of the internet Kommunity in the mid 90s. There is a mountain of baggage.

...SNIP

I agree with everything you said, Red!
  • »09.11.18 - 03:32
    Profile Visit Website