Cloanto sues Hyperion
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Ben's obviously gunning to take over that market from
    >>> them - [...] hence Jens' sudden involvement

>> I don't think this causality is for real. Cloanto is merely
    >> a P96 licensee and never claimed more in this regard.

> I mean Jens needs Picasso96, not Ben.

Yes, I got this much. What I don't get is how Ben wanting to take over the OS3/m68k/classic market from Cloanto can be a reason for Jens having purchased P96 from Abt&Kneer.

> On 3.1.4 you can simply keep using whatever driver your card came with.

With the caveat that using CGX instead of P96 prevents some features from working due to some CGX internals being kept closed.

> Jens [...] seems to have taken umbrage at Cloanto. Hence a (very) tenuous
    > InCo-Hype... well, I wouldn't even call it an alliance. More like mutual sympathy.

I think the causality is more likely the other way round, i.e. Hyperion has handed out some licenses to Jens, which are essential to his Amiga business and are now being disputed by Cloanto in court, so Jens is trying to (financially) harm Cloanto where he can, hoping this will help Hyperion against Cloanto and increase the probability of upholding his licenses. Remember that Jens announced to leave the Amiga market should Cloanto win a lawsuit (which would most likely mean the annulation of the licenses).
  • »09.08.19 - 22:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:

-clipped advocacy chest pounding-

And your other erroneous statement about folks pirating it is ridiculous as well as you have to have the ROM installed to use it... So clearly you have never used it and have no idea what you are talking about.

<smh>

You don't think people know how to burn a ROM image? Bless your heart...

And to answer your question before you ask, no I do not have a pirate copy of 3.1.4, I'm not interested in it. I am using a distro based on 3.9 (Coffin) since I already own 3.9, and don't see as an end user (as stated) any advantage of buying 3.1.4. I don't have to fumble with patches or such nonsense, it is turn key.

[ Edited by redrumloa 09.08.2019 - 21:08 ]
  • »10.08.19 - 02:05
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Awww Bless my heart... You Snarky Douchebag.. Even you could probably figure out that burning a ROM is quite limiting for MOST individuals.. Or maybe you aren't that bright..

And not everyone knows about multiple distros based on other versions of Amiga OS so once again 3.1.4 DOES have merit for new users.

Thanks for pointing out that you are nothing but an elitist asshole. Much appreciated.

Dont let anyone get in the way of your Hyperion hate-fest as that seems to be all you have to offer.
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »10.08.19 - 19:17
  • Just looking around
    Adonay
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
    Awww Bless my heart... You Snarky Douchebag.. Even you could probably figure out that burning a ROM is quite limiting for MOST individuals.. Or maybe you aren't that bright..

And not everyone knows about multiple distros based on other versions of Amiga OS so once again 3.1.4 DOES have merit for new users.

Thanks for pointing out that you are nothing but an elitist asshole. Much appreciated.

Dont let anyone get in the way of your Hyperion hate-fest as that seems to be all you have to offer.

To be honnest any ACA or Blizzard 030 and up has maprom\blizzkick or whatever. Who would bother to burn roms with any of those ?

And how many new users buy a 30 year old amiga? Most would just download winuae AND the roms.
  • »13.08.19 - 21:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Adonay wrote:
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:

To be honnest any ACA or Blizzard 030 and up has maprom\blizzkick or whatever. Who would bother to burn roms with any of those ?

And how many new users buy a 30 year old amiga? Most would just download winuae AND the roms.

Even though I share the very strong dislike for Ben Hermans and just about everything else about Hyperion Entertainment, I have to agree with outlawal2 and his recent posts in this thread. I won't buy 3.1.4, because I don't want to support Hyperion Entertainment any more than I already have in the past. I just want Ben to lose and go away, so putting any more money into his insane excuse of a company, is just counter productive at this point in time. I hope more users begin to think this way, and maybe we can just force him out of OUR market some time in the future. It is just too bad that the good and honest developers who did all the work to create 3.1.4, took it to Hyperion (not that they had many other options at that time), because maybe if they had waited, they could have taken it to Cloanto, who I believe to be honest and who I believe have better respect for the community of remaining Amiga users.

I know for a fact that there are still "some" new Amiga users, who are buying 30 year old Amiga hardware, because I have met several of them over the past 10+ years. Outlawal2 has a very valid point.

[ Edited by amigadave 13.08.2019 - 13:26 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.08.19 - 21:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @thread

Nothing much new to report except a new request for extension of time. These are usually granted.:

Quote:

MOTION for Extension of Time (Ex Parte) to Extend Time For Filing Initial Disclosures, Holding Rule 26(F) Conference, and File Joint Status Report , filed by Plaintiffs C-A Acquisition Corp, Cloanto Corporation. Noting Date 8/21/2019, (Troy, Gordon)

Source item 13

This delay, if/when granted, would "likely" push the trademark case past the date of the reported, but unconfirmed by public document...bankruptcy hearing posted about on July 8, 2019

Source

No idea whether this delay is mere coincidence with the report of the bankruptcy hearing, since the court has been silent since they announced this initial legal proceeding in June, 2019, with the expectation that the court would know the resolution by end of June, 2019.

*shrug*

• »22.08.19 - 16:18
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:

"It seems to offer very little compared to OS3.9 from an end user perspective. "

That is not true at all. It offers the ability to install the OS to 68000 thru 68060 with large disks, large filenames and every fix rolled up without having to manually run a dozen fixes and boing bags and the rest of the crap it used to take to install the OS. You can continue to hate on whomever you like but don't talk crap about the product as it DOES provide considerable value especially to folks just getting into Amigas for the first time. FAR better experience installing 3.1.4 and having it work rather than dicking around with all of the "tweaks" required before.

<smh>

OK, but OS 3.5 or OS 3.9 with those tweaks is way advanced. Its pacthed 3.1

OS 3.1.4 lacks at least:

• Workbench (AsyncWB - adds asynchronous copying and delete functionality to Workbench.
    • Multimedia programs (MP3 player, AVI & QT player, new CD player).
    • Web browser AWEB 3.4 SE (new version).
    • GENESIS (full Internet and network access).
    • AmiDOCK (new program start bar).

Gladly, OS 3.1.4 can be applied on top of OS 3.9

Its just improved milking scheme. I somewhat suppose any further m68k software
    coming from AOEN or Hype, be it AmiStore or Enhancer, will require OS 3.1.4 for no real reason.

Too bad both OS 3.1.4 and OS 4.0 started from 3.1 sources, so they both miss some
    of OS 3.9BB2 feats. And that no one continued development from OS 3.9BB2
    so this is "artficial fork" - of OS 3.1. Same milking manner as Enhancer.

[ Edited by vox 03.09.2019 - 19:17 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »22.08.19 - 17:49
    KennyR
    Directory Opus would have been a great addition to 3.1.4, but Hyperion shit all over that one as well.
  • »22.08.19 - 20:53
    KennyR
    Heh. This morning I saw an email tagline that sums up the Hyperion situation perfectly:

Q: How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: One. Only it's his light bulb when he's done.

One might assume that the application for delay has been submitted to give Ben time to prepare for Hyperion's bankruptcy hearing. Now he's recapitalised the company one might also assume they won't be folded.

So for Trevor waiting on the wings, the upside is that he didn't lose Hyperion or OS4. But the downside is that he lost Hyperion and OS4.
  • »23.08.19 - 10:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

Nothing much new to report except a new request for extension of time. These are usually granted.:

Quote:

MOTION for Extension of Time (Ex Parte) to Extend Time For Filing Initial Disclosures, Holding Rule 26(F) Conference, and File Joint Status Report , filed by Plaintiffs C-A Acquisition Corp, Cloanto Corporation. Noting Date 8/21/2019, (Troy, Gordon)

Source item 13

This delay, if/when granted, would "likely" push the trademark case past the date of the reported, but unconfirmed by public document...bankruptcy hearing posted about on July 8, 2019

Source

No idea whether this delay is mere coincidence with the report of the bankruptcy hearing, since the court has been silent since they announced this initial legal proceeding in June, 2019, with the expectation that the court would know the resolution by end of June, 2019.

*shrug*

Delay in trademark case granted. New schedule is pushed back about 2 months and may (as before with the contract case) see further amended scheduling. Barring settlement, neither case will go to trial until 2020.

• »24.08.19 - 13:07
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:

"It seems to offer very little compared to OS3.9 from an end user perspective. "

That is not true at all. It offers the ability to install the OS to 68000 thru 68060 with large disks, large filenames and every fix rolled up without having to manually run a dozen fixes and boing bags and the rest of the crap it used to take to install the OS. You can continue to hate on whomever you like but don't talk crap about the product as it DOES provide considerable value especially to folks just getting into Amigas for the first time. FAR better experience installing 3.1.4 and having it work rather than dicking around with all of the "tweaks" required before.

<smh>

OK, but OS 3.5 or OS 3.9 with those tweaks is way advanced. Its pacthed 3.1

OS 3.1.4 lacks at least:

• Workbench (AsyncWB - adds asynchronous copying and delete functionality to Workbench.
    • Multimedia programs (MP3 player, AVI & QT player, new CD player).
    • Web browser AWEB 3.4 SE (new version).
    • GENESIS (full Internet and network access).
    • AmiDOCK (new program start bar).

Gladly, OS 3.1.4 can be applied on top of OS 3.9

Its just improved milking scheme. I somewhat suppose any further m68k software
    coming from AOEN or Hype, be it AmiStore or Enhancer, will require OS 3.1.4 for no real reason.

I don't see it as "just improved milking scheme". While you are correct that 3.5 and 3.9 offer more bells and whistles, not everyone wants all of that. Also, 3.5/3.9 require accelerated Amigas to run decently where you can use 3.1.4 on bog standard Amigas and I think this is an important distinction.
    Again, if a person is new to the Amiga or simply hasn't been around it for 20+ years and doesn't want to IMMERSE themselves into it for DAYS to get setup... Then the ability to quickly install 3.1.4 on an un accelerated Amiga and be up and running in an hour or so is quite appealing to folks. I have multiple Amigas with different versions of Amiga OS and I like 3.1.4 because it installs CLEAN and SIMPLE and incorporates 30 years of fixes without the hassles of patching after the fact.

And Again I don't like the companies involved or the people but this PRODUCT is pretty damn good if you care about the things I just stated.

And if you are a purist that has worked with Amigas for decades or you have a lot of time set aside and want the challenge of setting things up more traditionally (for lack of a better term) then 3.1.4 is not for you.

I can tell you from experience however, that setting up a fresh 3.1.4 machine is FAR easier and quicker than setting up a 3.9 machine.

It just depends on what is important to YOU.
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »27.08.19 - 14:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > activity from the somewhat dormant trademark case

At least they could have the obvious mistakes (see comments #882 and #886) corrected before re-issuing :-)

I used the word "dormant" because it's so different than the contract case.

obvious back and forth between parties in the contract case
    trademark case with only 1 party?

so I ponder...

If anyone can explain how a complaint would be filed followed by months of silence and then a re-issue granted amended complaint gets filed with still no word from the other party, I'd appreciate it.

Apparently I'm not the only one who saw the lack of replies from Hyperion's attorneys to be somewhat out of order.
    Yesterday a "compel" was filed.

Quote:

A motion to compel asks the court to order either the opposing party or a third party to take some action. This sort of motion most commonly deals with discovery disputes, when a party who has propounded discovery to either the opposing party or a third party believes that the discovery responses are insufficient.

Item #75

That is all I know about this at this time.

• »30.08.19 - 15:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @thread

Actually today Pacer has a bit more as to the recent filing:

Quote:

MOTION to Compel and for an Award of Attorney's Fees and Costs Incurred

Source

• »30.08.19 - 17:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ number6

Given Hyperion's track record and play against Amiga Inc, I think it would be a fitting karma-like ending if they just defaulted into oblivion...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »30.08.19 - 17:37
    KennyR
    I can't even consider how many sleepless nights Ben must be pulling trying to fight the Cloanto lawsuit, keeping Hyperion solvent and actually doing his real job.

If he isn't careful, he could end up out of another job. And this time I doubt he'd recover.
  • »30.08.19 - 20:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

Quote:

Source

At this point is Hermans living under a bridge using the local McDonalds free wifi? And McDonalds just cut him off?
  • »03.09.19 - 15:27
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
    <smh>

Its all tweaks, its just implemented as early as boot menu, because OS 3.1.4 has its own ROM.
    OS 3.9 Remus Roms of 512k offer way more.

While large disk support is nice, it exists in OS 3.5 - OS 3.9 in more rudimentary form.

I can count 15 small things that OS 3.9 has and OS 3.1.4 dont - like MUI, WarpOS, AmiDock, newer datatypes included.

Yes, OS 3.1.4 is bugfix release, it offers less then OS 3.5 or OS 3.9 did, and its only hope is it might be develop further. OS 3.1.4 even eats about the same RAM as OS 3.5 while offering less.

Its current strongpoint is availiability since there are very few OS 3.9 left.

And there is some more hope for 3.1.4/3.9 purchases on Vampire standalone.

But with 3.1.4 Hype did not bother to optimize 020 version, or to put 080 ID.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »03.09.19 - 18:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

Quote:

Source

Is there a free copy of the May 14, 2019 letter available to read anywhere, without having to sign up for, or pay a fee to read it? Or can someone who has seen it just summarize what it says?

I am so hoping that Cloanto does NOT settle this conflict out of court and let Hyperion off the hook. If Hyperion doesn't just concede and pay all the attorney costs, withdraw all copyright and/or trademark filings around the world, and submit a statement agreeing with Cloanto's ownership rights to all Amiga IP, except for AmigaOS4, then I would like to see this go to a jury trial, and find out what a jury thinks of Mr. Hermans behavior in a court of law.

Edit: removed double negative
    Edit 2: Actually, I'm hoping that the court will find that Hyperion has indeed violated the 2009 agreement, and such a finding will cause Hyperion to lose all control and rights to AmigaOS4, so that a reasonable person/company can pick up the pieces, and we can see some better development progress in the future.

[ Edited by amigadave 03.09.2019 - 15:22 ]
  • »03.09.19 - 23:18
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @thread

Quote:

Source

Is there a free copy of the May 14, 2019 letter available to read anywhere, without having to sign up for, or pay a fee to read it? Or can someone who has seen it just summarize what it says?

I am so hoping that Cloanto does NOT settle this conflict out of court and let Hyperion off the hook. If Hyperion doesn't just concede and pay all the attorney costs, withdraw all copyright and/or trademark filings around the world, and submit a statement agreeing with Cloanto's ownership rights to all Amiga IP, except for AmigaOS4, then I would like to see this go to a jury trial, and find out what a jury thinks of Mr. Hermans behavior in a court of law.

Edit: removed double negative
    Edit 2: Actually, I'm hoping that the court will find that Hyperion has indeed violated the 2009 agreement, and such a finding will cause Hyperion to lose all control and rights to AmigaOS4, so that a reasonable person/company can pick up the pieces, and we can see some better development progress in the future.

In all honesty amigadave. Do you believe anyone would pick up Amiga OS 4 development if Hyperion lost rights? I just don't see it. It is a dead OS, running on outdated, under powered, overly expensive hardware. I think it would be the nail in the coffin for the last of Amiga. To be honest I think MorhphOS will die out sooner rather than later if they don't do the ISA shift sometime soon. PowerPC Apple hardware is now at least 14 years old at best and not getting any younger. Tabor, is stillborn and the x5000 is 2000.00 for something with the performance of an Athlon processor. Even all that said. If Tabor came out I would buy it with OS4. I loved Amiga and I would buy it just so that I could have the "last" of the Amiga. I feel MorphOS is the only hope for the future. I just kind of have doubts about them porting to a new platform anytime before I die.
  • »04.09.19 - 16:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @amigadave

I don't see the letter of May 14, 2019 listed anywhere documents have been uploaded.

• »04.09.19 - 22:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @amigadave

I don't see the letter of May 14, 2019 listed anywhere documents have been uploaded.

Any ideas about it's content, has there been anyone who has commented on that letter?
  • »05.09.19 - 16:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    @amigadave

Any ideas about it's content, has there been anyone who has commented on that letter?

That that I can find, no.
    It was not listed in the court records, so it was a private communication between attorneys imo.
    And AmigaDocuments made no postings during that time, nor do I see it in the documents listings there.

• »05.09.19 - 16:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    In all honesty amigadave. Do you believe anyone would pick up Amiga OS 4 development if Hyperion lost rights? I just don't see it. It is a dead OS, running on outdated, under powered, overly expensive hardware. I think it would be the nail in the coffin for the last of Amiga. To be honest I think MorhphOS will die out sooner rather than later if they don't do the ISA shift sometime soon. PowerPC Apple hardware is now at least 14 years old at best and not getting any younger. Tabor, is stillborn and the x5000 is 2000.00 for something with the performance of an Athlon processor. Even all that said. If Tabor came out I would buy it with OS4. I loved Amiga and I would buy it just so that I could have the "last" of the Amiga. I feel MorphOS is the only hope for the future. I just kind of have doubts about them porting to a new platform anytime before I die.

A-Eon would try to reach an agreement with all of the developers who have worked on AmigaOS4, and re-start work to move it forward on PPC. They have too much invested in their X1000, X5000, and Tabor A1222 hardware to let AmigaOS4 die.

Wouldn't it be ironic karma if Hyperion lost the rights to develop AmigaOS4, and Cloanto ended up with those rights. I'm sure Trevor and Matthew from A-Eon would have an easier time working with Mike B. from Cloanto, than they have had working with the guy pulling all the strings at Hyperion. I don't think Mike will lose $10,000, or was it Euros, or English Pounds that Hermans said he lost in a cab? What a crock! Honestly, how can anyone continue to work with such a person in any way? Why are users still sending money to Hyperion for any products? They are only prolonging the agony of having to deal with Hyperion.
  • »05.09.19 - 16:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @amigadave

Quote:

Why are users still sending money to Hyperion for any products? They are only prolonging the agony of having to deal with Hyperion.

Because if you read EAB in particular (but A.org will do as well), all most people care about is product that gets shipped.

Often we assume everyone knows about issues that we discuss in this thread. Frankly even some of the owners have no clue about things we've posted here...until they get tipped off.
    That's how little people really know...or care about these aspects.

• »05.09.19 - 17:14
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @amigadave

You make good points. I wish something would happen...soon. I fear that any window of opportunity as already passed for any Amiga like OS. How many, long, long, long years now have MorphOS users been hearing and waiting for the ISA shift? I hear a lot about Arm really being the up and coming platform. I truly hope that MorphOS devs will port it sooner rather than later. We already have Arm laptops and even more coming. Soon there should also be Arm desktops. It would be a sin to just rollover and let MS take it over without any alternative for anyone else. They already stole the x86.
  • »05.09.19 - 19:27