A look at the new MorphOS
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Debaser wrote:
    Wasn't there mention of a possible email client (or maybe I have had too many ciders tonight)?

The email client will have to wait until 3.12 I am afraid. It is in the beta tests but much of the necessary functionality is still missing. I'll share some screenshots soon though ;)
  • »31.10.17 - 11:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    No problem at all - just glad to hear one is in the works. :) Thanks.
  • »31.10.17 - 11:44
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Debaser wrote:
    Wasn't there mention of a possible email client (or maybe I have had too many ciders tonight)?

The email client will have to wait until 3.12 I am afraid. It is in the beta tests but much of the necessary functionality is still missing. I'll share some screenshots soon though ;)

3.12...hmm, good. It's like waiting for the second shoe to drop.
    But if there are plans to go at least that far (and hopefully further), my plans to obtain an X5000/40 ( and possibly a SAM460 motherboard once the prices drop), those won't go unsupported at least for awhile.

[ Edited by Jim 31.10.2017 - 06:21 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »31.10.17 - 12:20
    Kronos
    @Jim

Dropping shoes.....

It was quite obvious that there would be a 3.11 to fix whatever issues will somehow make it into 3.10.

Doing another "add new stuff" release (aka 3.12) for PPC is also quite obvious as so far no one has really seen anything on "4.0"/"MorphOSNG"/whatever.

I'd expect the 3.x line to continue for quite some time after the 1st outing of "4.0" maybe even past it's release.
  • »31.10.17 - 12:36
    Kronos
    "obvious"

a) the team has been real secretive regarding 4.0 and what will be known as 3.10 is really just a back port of some 4.0 components

b) after 3.10(3.11) there will be a loooooooooooong dryspell

I don't believe in a) and I'd rather not see b).
  • »31.10.17 - 13:37
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @Jim

Dropping shoes.....

It was quite obvious that there would be a 3.11 to fix whatever issues will somehow make it into 3.10.

Yes, 3.11 was a given since that would be a bug fix.

Quote:

Doing another "add new stuff" release (aka 3.12) for PPC is also quite obvious as so far no one has really seen anything on "4.0"/"MorphOSNG"/whatever.

Obvious to you, at each even number, trepidation for me.

Quote:

I'd expect the 3.x line to continue for quite some time after the 1st outing of "4.0" maybe even past it's release.

I'd hope so too, since I intend to invest in more PPC hardware.
    In fact, until completely obsolete, I intend to continue using PPCs.
  • »31.10.17 - 14:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Jim: Don't buy a hardware because of future expectations, judge whether the price/performance ratio *now* is reasonable. Noone will warrant you future support. MorphOS is about enjoying what is actually there, not about a hypothetical future.

--

In about an hour the kids of the neighbourhood will start ringing the door bell, my basket of sweets is filled...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »31.10.17 - 15:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Jim: Don't buy a hardware because of future expectations, judge whether the price/performance ratio *now* is reasonable. Noone will warrant you future support. MorphOS is about enjoying what is actually there, not about a hypothetical future.

--

In about an hour the kids of the neighbourhood will start ringing the door bell, my basket of sweets is filled...

Pretty much true, except we do know we are getting X5000 support and support for video cards introduced before the GCN based cards (since it's been shown).
  • »31.10.17 - 17:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

naTmeg wrote:
    The GUI, except for the icons, does look like Win10. I don't like those modern flat designs, but that's just my opinion.

Looking forward for the updates below the hood.

I also am not a great fan of such 'flat' designs, and I hope there is scope for retaining much of the 'look' of 3.9, and earlier - as that is where we originated from (amiga look - rather than Windows look), if that look is preferable for some users. ;-)

However, I am looking forward to the updates within it, that we have been, and still are, waiting for, and for such a long time it feels like. :-(
    Though hopefully, not for much longer.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.11.17 - 06:04
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I also am not a great fan of such 'flat' designs

While everyone talks about "flat design", I think a more accurate term for the current trend would be "simplified design". Unfortunately, too often user interfaces step far over the line that separates "simple" from "simplistic". Visual indicators should never be removed without careful consideration.

Quote:

and I hope there is scope for retaining much of the 'look' of 3.9, and earlier - as that is where we originated from (amiga look - rather than Windows look)

Have you looked at Cloanto Workbench 1.0 lately?

If you make the task bar white and add some orange, Windows 10 is not too far off :-)
  • »02.11.17 - 08:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    As promised, a sneak peak at the new email client:

Iris
  • »02.11.17 - 12:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    jarokuczi
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Iris

Well done HTML view. Can we compose email in HTML either? Can't wait MOS 3.12.
  • »02.11.17 - 12:47
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:...Have you looked at Cloanto Workbench 1.0 lately?

If you make the task bar white and add some orange, Windows 10 is not too far off :-)

And with that comparison...since I've gotten used to Win10 (which took some doing after using Aero under Win 7), I guess I rather like the new skin.

I will look more modern when I demo it to outsiders.
  • »02.11.17 - 14:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

jarokuczi wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Iris

Well done HTML view. Can we compose email in HTML either? Can't wait MOS 3.12.

The plan is to allow some basic editing and inline images.
  • »02.11.17 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Iris

I especially like all those girls and boys around the email client.

Manfred
  • »02.11.17 - 16:32
    Kronos
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Iris

U got SPAM !!!
  • »02.11.17 - 17:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Iris

U got SPAM !!!

Not showing images properly using [img]-BBCode from whatever image host (turning images into an URL instead) is a defect since long of this site. Reported it repeatedly. The remedy is to use proper HTML, preferably with a width='100%' attribute (explicitly *not* quotation marks) to adapt the image size and not destroying the page layout.

And make the image url clickable for the full view.

Like this:

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »02.11.17 - 22:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Hmm, and when *I* click it, I only get Jesus figures and Madonnas...

:-)
  • »02.11.17 - 22:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: While everyone talks about "flat design", I think a more accurate term for the current trend would be "simplified design".

My comment about 'flat' design was based on a previous comment by naTmeg not really my choice of wording, but it was so others looking back at the thread knew what I was refering to. So I agree 'simplified design' would be a better way to describe it overall.
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:and I hope there is scope for retaining much of the 'look' of 3.9, and earlier - as that is where we originated from (amiga look - rather than Windows look)

Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Have you looked at Cloanto Workbench 1.0 lately? If you make the task bar white and add some orange, Windows 10 is not too far off :-)

I'm not bothered what Cloanto or Windows do to their systems, I'd just prefer MorphOS not to offer just that one option of "simplified design", as I quite like the PNG icon style/desktop look and feel of 3.9 so if that 'look' can be retained after the update to 3.10 then I'd be happier, and hopefully others would as well. ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.11.17 - 01:43
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:and I hope there is scope for retaining much of the 'look' of 3.9, and earlier - as that is where we originated from (amiga look - rather than Windows look)

Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Have you looked at Cloanto Workbench 1.0 lately? If you make the task bar white and add some orange, Windows 10 is not too far off :-)

I'm not bothered what Cloanto or Windows do to their systems

Did you click on the link?

You did specifically reference the look of Workbench and Windows. Commodore sold far more Ax00 computers with version 1.x of Workbench than with any subsequent OS releases and it just so happens that Workbench 1.0 and Windows 10 share a similar color theme (white / blue) and an overall "flat" look.

Quote:

I'd just prefer MorphOS not to offer just that one option of "simplified design", as I quite like the PNG icon style/desktop look and feel of 3.9 so if that 'look' can be retained after the update to 3.10 then I'd be happier, and hopefully others would as well. ;-)

I perfectly understood your overall point. Zero objections from me.
  • »03.11.17 - 05:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I remember Workbench 1.3, and I didn't really like it but then I soon migrated to OS2.x and OS3.x and higher and was smitten - in a cyborg sort of way. ;-)

I have Windows XP, and rarely use it, but .... of all the Windows versions I have tried I have to say that XP was the best Windows format IMHO, and anything since then has been less useful, and generally a step backwards IMHO.

Glad to hear you'd no objections to my overall point.
  • »03.11.17 - 07:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

So...when do WE get 3.10?

”One of the team did let me know that they are looking at releasing this on the X5000 towards the end of this year.”

https://amigax5000.blog/2017/10/29/amiga-32/
  • »03.11.17 - 13:23
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

”One of the team did let me know that they are looking at releasing this on the X5000 towards the end of this year.”

Cool. thanks for the reference.
    And for my part, sorry about the previous friction, I'm a bit reactionary.

@ Andre, that new look has kind of grown on me, but I must admit that when it comes to Windows, I think Vista and Win 7 looked much better than Win 10.

I'd look to see MorphOS adopt that direction rather than the minimalist look, transparency, gradients in shading, lots of color, complex background (and one of the few feature I like from OS4 - the animated backgrounds provided by Candi).
  • »03.11.17 - 15:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Cool. thanks for the reference.
    And for my part, sorry about the previous friction, I'm a bit reactionary.

@ Andre, that new look has kind of grown on me, but I must admit that when it comes to Windows, I think Vista and Win 7 looked much better than Win 10.

I'd look to see MorphOS adopt that direction rather than the minimalist look, transparency, gradients in shading, lots of color, complex background (and one of the few feature I like from OS4 - the animated backgrounds provided by Candi).

The good thing is that it is about choice. I doubt that MorphOS 3.10 with _my_ favourite Clara Skin will look much different from MorphOS 3.9 with the Clara skin.
    I mean that's the benefit from a good skinning system.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »03.11.17 - 17:07
    Profile Visit Website