• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Me only being a "wanna be" programmer, I can't contribute much of anything yet, but I do know how important Java "seems" to have been on other platforms, and I can assume that having Java runtime, or JVM for MorphOS and other Amiga variants, would be a great thing for some programmers, who are used to working with it, and might allow the porting of many other software programs, that have previously been unavailable to us.

I have also read the arguments against Java, and I agree that bloat is not what we want for MorphOS, either our current PPC version, or any future version on x64 hardware. I guess it could depend on each user to decide to install Java on their system, as long as the MorphOS Dev. Team does NOT make any part of MorphOS for PPC or x64 dependent on having Java installed, or included as part of the OS.

For a while, it seemed to me that Java was going to be a requirement for all web browsers, and I think that there are some websites that won't work correctly, unless Java is available on the system running the browser visiting the site, but thankfully, my assumption was not realized, and most sites still work without having Java on our MorphOS, and other Amiga/Amiga inspired systems.

If we could have the choice to use Java and the cost in development resources was only 1, or 2 additional programmers working with the current person working on it, I think it would be worthwhile to have. I certainly don't advocate that we ask for any of the current MorphOS Dev. Team members take time away from porting MorphOS to x64, to help implement Java for MorphOS.

The problem is, and has always been, not enough programmers available, and too few programming hours left in the busy days and nights of what little programmer base we do have, and this is where Java is a double edged sword. Having it, would make programming/porting many software applications for/to MorphOS easier and quicker (assuming that all the programming tools for Java are also ported to MorphOS), but maintaining Java for MorphOS, takes programming resources away from working on other programming projects.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.08.17 - 13:55