• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    @amigadave

I agree with your comment on leaving PPC. Once MorphOS goes x86, I wouldnt go back either. No back porting.. just a "final release" and walk away from that. Concentrate efforts on x86 as I'm sure that will bring much newer set of dev tools/software to MorphOS.

Well, as we continue to advance in the coming releases, I think I may be tempted to stay for awhile after this transition/fork.
    Each coming release promises to address issues we are currently facing, and who know when we we will see an X64 fork, or what that will bring.

So, I'm just enjoying what we're getting now with PPC MorphOS.

I have a case for an X5000, some DDR 3 memory, an OWC SSD, and a VIA ENVY24 based sound card stashed away (I can't decide whether to fork over the cash for an X5000/20 or wait for the X5000/40, but if we see the latter before the next AmiWest, I'll go with that).

Unfortunately, the 'Radeon HD 8490' I recently ordered turned out to be an R5 240 when it showed up (apparently the seller couldn't tell the difference). We can't use those yet, as 3.10 will only support up to the R5 235X (which is basically what an HD 8490 is).

Which reminds me, I already have an R4 240 from a previous purchase that I need to ship to Mark (as he needs an 'Oland' based card). As he already has HD 7770 and 7850 cards (as well as an R7 260X), this will give him a few options when he has time to work on GCN drivers.

I think where ever this ends up, our terminus in this long running PPC OS will provide some nice improvements in functionality.
    When I first started using MorphOS, the highest level cards supported were R200 cards like the Radeon 8500, 9000 and 9200. Soon after the R300s were supported, later even before G5 support was introduced work on R400 support began. We have R500 support now. And despite the grousing about the lack of GCN drivers, this next update covering everything from the R600s up to the Terascale families is pretty impressive (its a LOT of gpus).

So, once you guys are ready to rocket off to X64, I'll hopefully have a quad core PPC system, with a nice VIA Envy24 sound card and an advanced AMD video card to use.
    New equipment...and not a bad upgrade from the last hardware available new, the Peg2.

And if in the future zero updates to MorphOS PPC means an eventual switch to the 'dark side' (at least for this system), no big deal.

As to X64, I'm exploring Minix 3 right now, and if development of that picks up, I may move to that eventually.
    Its another microkernel OS, like MorphOS, but with support for BSD applications.
    It definitely needs an improved user interface though.

[ Edited by Jim 02.11.2017 - 08:29 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.11.17 - 13:25