The wait for 3.10 :(
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    The X5000 under MorphOS...
    Again, if you want support delayed further, talk to Mark.
    The man has busted his ass getting the remaining Terascale cards up to snuff.
    He has a Radeon HD 7770 and an HD 7850 (as well as a GCN 2ND R7 260X).
    I have a Radeon R5 240 here I haven't shipped to him yet, and plan to add an R7 250 to that.
    I don't know what other GCN cards he might have, but I don't think he has an R9 270 (any of you want to buy him one, feel free to do so).

I have an HD 7750 and R9 270X that can be lent. Sorry but they cost too much to give away permanently. Any idea how long he would need them?
  • »05.08.17 - 05:37
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Pgovotsos wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    The X5000 under MorphOS...
    Again, if you want support delayed further, talk to Mark.
    The man has busted his ass getting the remaining Terascale cards up to snuff.
    He has a Radeon HD 7770 and an HD 7850 (as well as a GCN 2ND R7 260X).
    I have a Radeon R5 240 here I haven't shipped to him yet, and plan to add an R7 250 to that.
    I don't know what other GCN cards he might have, but I don't think he has an R9 270 (any of you want to buy him one, feel free to do so).

I have an HD 7750 and R9 270X that can be lent. Sorry but they cost too much to give away permanently. Any idea how long he would need them?

Thanks, that is considerate of you to offer, but he already has a Radeon 7770 and after thinking about it I realized that the Radeon HD 7850 I've already shipped him covers Pitcairn (albeit Pitcairn Pro not XT), so those gpus are covered.

What I'd like to obtain now is a Radeon R7 250 or 350 (early models, not 250X or 350X, gpus are different).
    I'll get to it, and btw, the donations are permanent.
    Shipping costs to South Africa, and the value of continued support make this essential.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »05.08.17 - 10:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Spectre660 schrieb:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99859

The bug title is a bit misleading. Glamor does work on Big Endian hardware (it does on the Radeon HD 5450 in my PM 11,2). The problem is with the GCN-cards for the time beeing: but the r300-r600 cards run with glamor. If not getting stopped by other bugs. ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »06.08.17 - 17:45
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

esc wrote:
    I feel like there's been a significant downward trend in interest in MorphOS while we wait for 3.10 to be released. Software for MorphOS has also been infrequently released or updated. It's a shame, I don't feel as excited about using my MorphOS computers lately. Anyone else feel this way?

I have the same feelings nowadays...
    Just find myself ordering a cheap chinese Android tablet. :(
  • »19.09.17 - 08:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I've got an X5000 and specifically wanted to run MorphOS on it. Its a shame that I may have to change the video card to do so since mine came with a 250X in it. I'd rather keep using my G5 and not deal with a lesser card. I do like OS4.1 in this thing as well, and yeah while paying for driver updates sucks every time a better one comes out, they do work great. Its no MorphOS though.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.09.17 - 15:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    I've got an X5000 and specifically wanted to run MorphOS on it. Its a shame that I may have to change the video card to do so since mine came with a 250X in it. I'd rather keep using my G5 and not deal with a lesser card. I do like OS4.1 in this thing as well, and yeah while paying for driver updates sucks every time a better one comes out, they do work great. Its no MorphOS though.

Pity you're not attending AmiWest, you probably could have talked the developers into letting you have a demo/beta copy of 3.10 for that.
    The last time I exchanged messages with Mark (which was at least two months ago), GCN cards were not being given prority, the drivers for cards up to that were.
    So how long it might take to get a driver for your 250X is anybodies guess.
    Personally, if I buy an X5000 anytime soon, I'm using a Radeon HD6000 series card or lower because there is better Linux support for those cards.
    I can loan you an HD 6750 until a GCN driver is available if you need it.
  • »19.09.17 - 16:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Pity you're not attending AmiWest, you probably could have talked the developers into letting you have a demo/beta copy of 3.10 for that.
    The last time I exchanged messages with Mark (which was at least two months ago), GCN cards were not being given prority, the drivers for cards up to that were.
    Personally, if I buy an X5000 anytime soon, I'm using a Radeon HD6000 series card or lower because there is better Linux support for those cards.

I may be attending if I can find a room or someone willing to let me share one with them Saturday and sunday. Its looking like I will be back in time to drive out early Saturday morning.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.09.17 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

I may be attending if I can find a room or someone willing to let me share one with them Saturday and sunday. Its looking like I will be back in time to drive out early Saturday morning.

Can you take the X5000 with you?
  • »19.09.17 - 21:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Jim, yes and I planned on it if I get the chance to go. Its only a 6 hour drive for me.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »19.09.17 - 21:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Jim, yes and I planned on it if I get the chance to go. Its only a 6 hour drive for me.

'Only'? Six hours would get me to Pittsburg. Pretty grueling trip by my standards, considering Florida only takes me about three times that.

You guys out west must be like my relatives in Texas, where it's normal to drive a couple of hours to get somewhere.
    You can travel the entire length of my state in about that much time.😀

BTW -I sent Mark an email asking about the idea. However, depending on how busy he is (and he's always pretty busy), it may take awhile for him to get back.

So, all we need is a hard drive and a video card for the swap. The first question is what is the best video card to use.

[ Edited by Jim 19.09.2017 - 19:14 ]
  • »19.09.17 - 23:10
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    FWIW - not to derail the thread - it took me longer than six hours to drive through the Los Angeles area the day before Thanksgiving, but I digress. :)
  • »19.09.17 - 23:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Just show up Paul, and I am sure we will figure out some kind of arrangements for you to share a room with someone. I'm moving rooms from Friday night to Saturday night, but won't be staying Sunday night, as I don't want to inconvenience my neighbors, who will be taking care of my dogs for the weekend.

You should contact Brian Deneen, the president of SACC, and ask him if he knows of anyone needing to share a room. I waited too long, and ended up not being able to get a room at either hotel, but luckily, a friend of mine decided to go, and had reserved a room for Saturday night, and Bill Bosari has a room with an extra empty bed for me on Friday night, as the person sharing his room can't arrive until Saturday.

It sure would be great if you could make it, specially if you also had a beta copy of MorphOS3.10 with you, to run on your X5000.

Keep in touch and let me know if you still can't find a room to share.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »20.09.17 - 02:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Just show up Paul, and I am sure we will figure out some kind of arrangements for you to share a room with someone. I'm moving rooms from Friday night to Saturday night, but won't be staying Sunday night, as I don't want to inconvenience my neighbors, who will be taking care of my dogs for the weekend.

You should contact Brian Deneen, the president of SACC, and ask him if he knows of anyone needing to share a room. I waited too long, and ended up not being able to get a room at either hotel, but luckily, a friend of mine decided to go, and had reserved a room for Saturday night, and Bill Bosari has a room with an extra empty bed for me on Friday night, as the person sharing his room can't arrive until Saturday.

It sure would be great if you could make it, specially if you also had a beta copy of MorphOS3.10 with you, to run on your X5000.

As much as I would like to just show up, that's a long way to go and risk having to sleep in the bed of my truck!
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »21.09.17 - 16:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

As much as I would like to just show up, that's a long way to go and risk having to sleep in the bed of my truck!

Hotels almost always have roll-away beds they can add to any room for a nominal fee. Having attended so many AmiWest shows over the last 10 to 12 years (only missed one I think), I am sure that we will be able to get you into a room with other AmiWest attendees. I would promise you a place in the room I am staying in, but it's not my room and I can't speak for the person who actually made the reservation.

If we can't find anything better, I'll give you my bed, and I'll sleep in my car (which is quite comfortable). I am 100% certain that we can get you into someone's room on a couch or roll-away bed. IIRC, many of the rooms at the Hampton next door to the Hilton Express, have couches that fold out to make an extra bed.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.09.17 - 12:32
    Kronos
    /me donates 50 cans of Redbull so Acill can demo that X5000 21 hours a day (he will be occupied elsewhere for the remaining 3 hours)
  • »22.09.17 - 13:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Kronos

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.09.17 - 13:51
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    /me donates 50 cans of Redbull so Acill can demo that X5000 21 hours a day (he will be occupied elsewhere for the remaining 3 hours)

Sounds good, I rely on energy drinks, coffee, and just about any other source of caffeine myself on a daily basis. ;-)

Remember, we'll hold you to this promise, Kronos.

Um, as an aside, I exchanged a message with Mark yesterday. He's willing to consider it, but he wants to know who is going to be doing the demo (I told him Acil @ AmigaDave's table), and he wants assurances that the OS will remain secure.
    I informed him it was Acil's intent to install it on a separate drive and that I was fairly sure that neither Acil or David would allow it to leak.

Now we just need to know what the best choice for a video card would be, I haven't heard back from Mark on that or on my reply about the presenters.
    I tested a Radeon HD 6750 I had on hand today under Windows and Linux, and that's a really nice card. Low draw and good performance.
    But if need be, I can dig up a Radeon HD 4870, which would have the advantage of supporting composting (Mark mentioned in a previous email that the R600 and R700 card drivers support this, butr that the HD 5000 and above don't have it yet).

Still, a 6750 would offer a better cross comparison etween OS4 and MorphOS as both drivers would be accelerated.

SO, if everything goes right, we might have a MorphOS 3.10 demo represented at AmiWest this year.

That REALLY makes me wish I could attend (hey a good OS for the X5000, after all ;-) ).

[ Edited by Jim 22.09.2017 - 17:12 ]
  • »22.09.17 - 21:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Okay, IF I am actually back in town early like I am being told and not held up with work related things I will come out early saturday morning. I will know more as we get closer! I'm leaving this sunday the 25th on a week long trip, so here is hoping I can get out of the next one!
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »23.09.17 - 05:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Hmm, so we don't have a firm commitment that Acill will show up?

If Mark's willing to provide the beta, I'd feel more comfortable knowing it will be used.
    Maybe we could talk to Trevor or Aaron about securing a demo system.

If I can't assure Mark that the demo will be used, Acill might have nothing to show on his X5000 except OS4.1, which doesn't really help our cause.
  • »23.09.17 - 13:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Why all the secrecy about MorphOS 3.10?
  • »23.09.17 - 15:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Current development MorphOS versions are frequently demonstrated, so I don't think it's an issue of secrecy really, more a security issue: they don't want it to be leaked.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.09.17 - 15:07
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:

As mentioned before, its not about secrecy, its about security, the beta just can't be distributed, it wouldn't be fair to the development team.
    So if its to be given to a user to demo, I'm sure they'd prefer it be someone they know and are familiar with (so, its not a secrecy issue, its about trust).

Luckily David will be there to demo MorphOS, and I'm absolutely certain he's responsible enough to make sure no copies are made of this pre-release OS. Dave's been a supporter of MorphOS for a long time (and even shipped a heavy G5 system to Mark at one point).
    And for that matter, Acill is well known in the Amiga community, and his repair work has helped a number of people.

OK, so, to update, I just talked to Aaron at Amiga On The Lake, an he has a developer friend who is attending, so he's going to contact him about sharing his hotel room. So HEY! Acill won't be sleeping in his truck.

Aaron also agreed to supply a video card if my HD 6750 isn't suited to the current beta.
    If you guys haven't realized it yet, I'm a big fan of Amiga On The Lake, primarily because I think Aaron has a good grasp of basic business principles, he offers great prices, and superior support.

IF we can pull this all together, we'll have a demo of MorphOS on the latest AmigaOne to show to the attendees of AmiWest '017.

Personally, I like this platform (and with regard to the naysayers, I WILL be buying one), so I for one want to see OUR OS demoed on it (after all, MorphOS IS better than OS4 ;-) ).
  • »23.09.17 - 16:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:

As mentioned before, its not about secrecy, its about security, the beta just can't be distributed, it wouldn't be fair to the development team.
    So if its to be given to a user to demo, I'm sure they'd prefer it be someone they know and are familiar with (so, its not a secrecy issue, its about trust).

Luckily David will be there to demo MorphOS, and I'm absolutely certain he's responsible enough to make sure no copies are made of this pre-release OS. Dave's been a supporter of MorphOS for a long time (and even shipped a heavy G5 system to Mark at one point).
    And for that matter, Acill is well known in the Amiga community, and his repair work has helped a number of people.

OK, so, to update, I just talked to Aaron at Amiga On The Lake, an he has a developer friend who is attending, so he's going to contact him about sharing his hotel room. So HEY! Acill won't be sleeping in his truck.

Aaron also agreed to supply a video card if my HD 6750 isn't suited to the current beta.
    If you guys haven't realized it yet, I'm a big fan of Amiga On The Lake, primarily because I think Aaron has a good grasp of basic business principles, he offers great prices, and superior support.

IF we can pull this all together, we'll have a demo of MorphOS on the latest AmigaOne to show to the attendees of AmiWest '017.

Personally, I like this platform (and with regard to the naysayers, I WILL be buying one), so I for one want to see OUR OS demoed on it (after all, MorphOS IS better than OS4 ;-) ).

Awese, and I do plan to show up. It's just then when Saturday I can get in. Certainly before noon though.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »23.09.17 - 17:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    Awese, and I do plan to show up. It's just then when Saturday I can get in. Certainly before noon though.

I mentioned Aaron at AOTL was talking to a friend about his room reservation...well that didn't work out, but we're still ready to help with the hardware you'll need.
    I still need to hear back from Bigfoot about the beta, and what video card would work best.
    We already know your SB Live audio card is supported.

I've sent a PM to AmigaDave about space at his MorphOS demo table, but Dave's a big supporter of both Aeon and MorphOS, so I'd be surprised if it was an issue.

Anyone have any alternatives on the hotel room?

[ Edited by Jim 23.09.2017 - 15:28 ]
  • »23.09.17 - 18:12
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    is just uboot (new)
  • »26.03.18 - 13:57