• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    @Jim:

I think its the lack of software. I'm not talking Amiga OS legacy. While its "OK" to reminisce and use old software, its just dated, its limiting. Yes we have a large library of software at our disposal but nothing written to take advantage of MorphOS and the system its running on. Its like that previous thread about an office suite.

I use MorphOS sparingly. I have other hobbies that are going on which take precedence over retro computing. I will say this though, MorphOS makes it easier for me to do retro computing if I want to play around with legacy Amiga software. Kinda disappointed because while I can code, theres alot going on to where it prohibits me from setting time aside to read stuff and play with for example, FPC or Hollywood.

I dont know how the MorphOS Dev Team does it...dunno how they stay motivated to code. One day they will need to pass the torch to someone else and I hope that when that day comes someone will be there for the handoff...

THAT is a major stumbling block. I've discussed with others including Wiktor Glowacki (Pampers) and I rank it in importance above porting to new hardware or advancing the OS.
    And I don't have a lot of time to devote to learning something like Hollywood myself, plus I'm not that familiar with Amiga-like OS' or MUI.
    My programming skills are more in line with 68K assembly code and C.
    Not to mention that when I'm not working, or taking classes for my MBA, I've got a lot of other things eating up my time.

But...I'd like to do more to encourage work on projects that run in MorphOS.

I've been asking this question, or similar questions for years. How is any of the great knowledge and expertise from dozens or hundreds of existing and former Amiga and MorphOS programmers and hardware hackers being transferred to new users. This lack of documenting and saving existing knowledge and expertise, and lack of teaching newer and younger users that knowledge, is probably the most serious threat to the longevity of our platform. It is certain that we are losing talented people with knowledge and expertise much faster than we are gaining new users that have the desire and talent to learn the skills needed to plug the hole that is the "knowledge and expertise drain", from our community.

Unfortunately, the members of our community that do 95% or more of the coding and inventing work, are also the busiest and have the least time and desire to spend trying to teach new users, or writing detailed documentation, so their knowledge can be passed on to later users, programmers, and hardware designers.

[ Edited by amigadave 27.06.2017 - 16:34 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.06.17 - 00:30