• vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    And I'm not saying I don't want LibreOffice. I'm saying that it is a huge task to port and maintain such a beast. I claim that a port of LibreOffice is either very slow or even not useable at all on PPC hardware.
    I'd rather take small steps and improve software that's already there.
    Manfred

There is no one and no way to improve it that much. Cinnamon is sweet, but a toy, unable
    to edit and handle properly anything a bit more complex. Page Stream is most professional,
    but then again is expensive DTP tool not for everyone.

In my own needs example:
    Translations, students papers, my own papers and presnetations etc. isnt anythings strange - but a need on to do list ... and can be all well be done in Libre. On anything. ARM Android phone, any Linux box out there,
    Windows. Its really open.

A bugfixed 3.x suite is tested, well enough feature-wise and not SO complex as you think
    to creating real 3 package replacement modern suite of any kind (e.g. using CW and Ignition
    as template, and PointRider as PPT viewer). PPC port exists for Linux. I use it everyday on x1000
    and is only way to make monolith a bit productive.

There is even half of Libre I dont use, but some people will find it exciting and needed.
    (I believe Draw is part of 3.x and Math and Base are added since 4.x and present in 5.x.
    I would vote for 3.x port and adding Math and Base later).

Draw A vector graphics editor and diagramming tool similar to Microsoft Visio and comparable in features to early versions of CorelDRAW. It provides connectors between shapes, which are available in a range of line styles and facilitate building drawings such as flowcharts. It also includes features similar to desktop publishing software such as Scribus and Microsoft Publisher. It is also able to act as a PDF-file editor.

LibreOffice 4.0 Math An application designed for creating and editing mathematical formulae. The application uses a variant of XML for creating formulas, as defined in the OpenDocument specification. These formulas can be incorporated into other documents in the LibreOffice suite, such as those created by Writer or Calc, by embedding the formulas into the document

LibreOffice 4.0 Base Base A database management program, similar to Microsoft Access. LibreOffice Base allows the creation and management of databases, preparation of forms and reports that provide end users easy access to data. Like Access, it can be used to create small embedded databases that are stored with the document files (using Java-based HSQLDB as its storage engine), and for more demanding tasks it can also be used as a front-end for various database systems, including Access databases (JET), ODBC/JDBC data sources, and MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL or Microsoft Access.[9][23]

Work is ongoing to transition the embedded storage engine from HSQLDB to the C++ based Firebird SQL backend. Firebird has been included in LibreOffice as an experimental option since LibreOffice 4.2.

[ Edited by vox 04.06.2017 - 22:22 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »04.06.17 - 18:50