Ambient questions (newbie to Ambient)
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Barren wrote:
    U may insist that Ambient is not the Amiga Workbench, ok, but I still insist that this behaviour is wrong IMHO... MIME or not MIME, if u want to associate a project to a default tool command operating in CLI mode, not WB mode (and if they didn't want to support this, why the CLI tooltype has been supported ?) you simply can't cos said default tool command can't reach the project file.

I don't think anyone is going to insist that kind of things, classic Amiga compatibility should reach these kinds of things. So it seems that there is a bug when using CLI tooltype and it should be reported in official way with a good test case and enough information. And yes, this doesn't seem to be MIME related thing.

Maybe this just has been gone unnoticed, because using MIME types have made these kind of project icons pretty obsolete. People just haven't noticed it bugging. I myself have only been using IconX project icons, but all other stuff I've configured though MIME.. like editing files by right clicking them to get different options etc.

Quote:

Just create a text file, create a solid project icon for it and put c:ed in the Default Tool and u can suddently verify that Ed will open an empy windows (of course).

As already said, Ed fails here, not Ambient. Maybe another thing worth reporting. But if you put for example SYS:Applications/Scribble/Scribble as the default tool, it works as expected.

Quote:

I have still to check whether programs operating in WB mode can receive the right path and arguments to open the project file (I assume they can but must check).

Yeah, I think they do, but didn't test these things properly either yet.
  • »07.01.17 - 11:05
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @Zylesea

I wouldn't mind Ambient having no version on it's own as in Ambient in MorphOS3.9 simply being Ambient3.9.
  • »07.01.17 - 11:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > each new version of MorphOS automatically comes with the latest version of all included
    > components. It is impossible some old component makes its way onto a new iso.

https://www.morphos-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=44240#p44240
    https://www.morphos-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=45765#p45765
    https://www.morphos-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=46442#p46442

;-)

Das ist doch genau was ich geschrieben habe. :)

Der einzige Unterschied ist das OWB damals die einzige Komponente war, die nicht fürs ISO kompiliert wurde. OWB zu bauen ist ziemlich komplex, dauert sehr lange und der cross build hat eigene Tücken.

Mittlerweile wird auch OWB automatisch compiliert und aufs ISO gemacht.

EDIT:

Somehow wrote in german. :) I followed the links provided and the posts are german, so i wrote german here. Sorry for that. :D

I just stated that OWB is inside the ISO for quite some time, but unlike the other components it was a binary copied into it. That has been changed and now OWB gets compiled fresh for each release from sources.
  • »07.01.17 - 11:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Der einzige Unterschied ist das OWB damals die einzige Komponente war, die nicht fürs ISO kompiliert wurde. OWB zu bauen ist ziemlich komplex, dauert sehr lange und der cross build hat eigene Tücken.

A po ludzku się napisać nie dało?
  • »07.01.17 - 13:01
    Kronos
    Quote:

koszer wrote:

I still blame roschmyr
  • »07.01.17 - 13:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Sorry, fixed the post above. :D
  • »07.01.17 - 14:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> each new version of MorphOS automatically comes with the latest version of all
    >>> included components. It is impossible some old component makes its way onto
    >>> a new iso.

>> https://www.morphos-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=44240#p44240
    >> https://www.morphos-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=45765#p45765
    >> https://www.morphos-forum.de/viewtopic.php?p=46442#p46442

> Das ist doch genau was ich geschrieben habe. :)

Err, no.

> I just stated that OWB [...]

Your comment #25 I replied to was not about OWB, and neither are the postings on morphos-forum.de I linked to. If you have a look again you will see that they're referring to Showgirls and aiff.demuxer.
    Showgirls 1.2 was released in December 2009, yet it took a year (MorphOS 2.7) to replace version 1.0 in the MorphOS ISO image. Similarly, aiff.demuxer 51.7 was released in August 2008, yet it took almost 4 years (MorphOS 3.0) to replace version 51.6 in the MorphOS ISO image. This shows that it has indeed been possible that some old component makes its way into a new MorphOS ISO image.
  • »07.01.17 - 19:22
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I don't think anyone is going to insist that kind of things, classic Amiga compatibility should reach these kinds of things. So it seems that there is a bug when using CLI tooltype and it should be reported in official way with a good test case and enough information. And yes, this doesn't seem to be MIME related thing.

I will report everything officially, of course

Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Maybe this just has been gone unnoticed, because using MIME types have made these kind of project icons pretty obsolete. People just haven't noticed it bugging. I myself have only been using IconX project icons, but all other stuff I've configured though MIME.. like editing files by right clicking them to get different options etc.

Personally I had created many automated stuff on my old workbench installation... including scripts and things intended to
    run in a shell context, and I would like to be able to use them again under Ambient.

Quote:

As already said, Ed fails here, not Ambient. Maybe another thing worth reporting. But if you put for example SYS:Applications/Scribble/Scribble as the default tool, it works as expected.

Well as I said, it's not Ed fault.
    Ed was programmed to work in the commandline. So with this bug it can't address the project file, the path
    doesn't get supplied.

What I would underline is, if Ambient/MorphOS developer decided to deprecate the cli-launching mode,
    WHY then they kept support for the CLI tooltype ???
    They should just fix the CD when a tool is launched in CLI mode, period... I think that a CD on the default
    tool directory is wrong and can be deemed a bug :)
  • »07.01.17 - 20:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

Showgirls 1.2 was released in December 2009, yet it took a year (MorphOS 2.7) to replace version 1.0 in the MorphOS ISO image. Similarly, aiff.demuxer 51.7 was released in August 2008, yet it took almost 4 years (MorphOS 3.0) to replace version 51.6 in the MorphOS ISO image. This shows that it has indeed been possible that some old component makes its way into a new MorphOS ISO image.

I guess Geit meant "old component" compared to a more recent component found in an more recent MorphOS version.
    Binaries released by 3rd party obviously don't count... Even if the 3rd party is part of the MorphOS Team :-p
  • »07.01.17 - 21:27
    Profile Visit Website