• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Barren wrote: The rename problem...

Have you checked your Ambient settings - Keyboard - Rename - to see which keys trigger the Rename requester - the use of it you should already know I would think. ;-)
    Quote:

Barren wrote: when u have a project icon (i.e a text associated with a program) often it doesn't work the expected way...

You have to remember that you are new to this change over, and so some things will not be so familiar to you, and this is probably where you are at - at this moment in time, but you will soon get used to the difference of MorphOS to Amiga OS or whatever.
    Quote:

Barren wrote: and this happens apparently on a random basis... when it doesn't work, ambient apparently tries to execute the
    text file, issuing "can't start program [name of text file]"... very weird...

MorphOS is looking in the Icon file for the "Default Tool" if it's a Project Icon to start a program that was probably associated with it from an older system that no longer has that program in C: or wherever it was on that system, as you're now using MorphOS -new directories/new programs - so when it looks for the program it might not find it - and it is telling you so.

Often it is best to go into the Icon - Information, and change the Icon from a Project Icon, to a Tool Icon, and then the Mime Prefs of MorphOS will likely find what it needs to do to open that file. Don't forget you can change some of the Mime types yourself to allow MorphOS to handle more 'exotic' files that need a specific program to be its default rather than the system's initial setup once you have your MorphOS installed from the MorphOS Boot CD.
    Quote:

Barren wrote: I really hoped that Ambient was improved a bit since the old MOS 1.x times but unfortunately it doesn't seem the case... I fear I shall really try out some other desktops...

If you have used an Amiga system and liked it, then MorphOS is a fantastic OS. I used to be an Amiga WB3.9 junkie, but now I am really struck with the similarities between Amiga OS, as I have learned to change that little bit, and it all works great for me, apart from the very few shortcoming with OWB, and a few very minor issues that we all get from time to time, so just keep at it, the learning curve is not that steep, and the benefits are far greater than any Mac OS or Windows OS that I have ever used, so I think you'll like it, you just need to learn to use it, and we're here if you need that support anyway.

Don't forget there is also the MorphOS Library - A Fantastic Resource for Guidance

Have a great New Year with MorphOS, and don't forget there is likely a new update in the 'wings' imminent we all believe, and that seems to have some fantastic new features, so watch this space, and don't go anywhere, or you'll regret it, I'm sure. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »05.01.17 - 00:40