Hints and rumoured sightings of the very shy 3.10
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yeah...I'm pretty familiar with that info Andreas, I had to tear it apart in order to figure out what cores were used.
    I did skip the 4350, I'll have to ask Bigfoot if he wants one.
    He has some of the R600 and R700 cards he needs to start with, and I have a few more here that need to be shipped, along with a few R800 cards.
    I'll have the first of those out in about a week, with the rest shipped before the end of January.

Mark should have the needed representatives from the R600 to R900 series' before Spring (there is a HUGE delay shipping into South Africa), and I'm sure he will work his way through the cards progressively.

But I doubt that they will hold up the release of 3.10 until all the cards without acceleration are updated.

And I doubt he will tackle the GCN cards until he has these legacy cards working.
    But I'd assume they are eventual targets.

I have all the cards I think are needed up to the HD6970 (I'm not considering the 6990 as its a dual gpu solution) except for a few I'm still sourcing.

Frankly, there are some nice solutions available in the 5000-6000 series, in particular the 5670, 5750, 6670, and 6750.
    These are all relatively low power cards that have more power than we really need.
    That's one of the reasons I'm in no hurry to see the GCN cards supported, everything after the 4000 series is frighteningly powerful.

[ Edited by Jim 07.01.2017 - 12:19 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.01.17 - 05:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I don't expect to see the GCN cards addressed anytime soon.
    The next series would likely be the R600s.
    That should include everything from the HD 2400Pro to the 3870.
    After that the R700s should be next, with the HD 4450 to 4890.
    Then there are the cards from the HD 5450 to 6970.

AFTER those, then it would make sense to tackle the GCN cards.

When we get to the R7, R9, and RX cards, we will have a base of earlier cards that will be fully supported (unlike the jump in OS4 from the R200 series to the GCN cards).

IMHO it makes the most sense to start with whatever shipped with the X5000. Then support earlier/later generations after that. I mean, if there are several unsupported GPU families, why not start with whatever people needs/wants? And will anyone really need/want R600 cards at all if newer ones are better and easier ot obtain? What's the point in that?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »07.01.17 - 09:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> R700s [...] with the HD 4450 to 4890

>> Wouldn't this start from HD 4350?

> I did skip the 4350

Then the next higher one would be the HD 4550. At least I couldn't find any info about HD 4450.

> I have a few more here that need to be shipped, along with a few R800 cards. I'll
    > have the first of those out in about a week, with the rest shipped before the end
    > of January. Mark should have the needed representatives from the R600 to R800
    > series' before Spring (there is a HUGE delay shipping into South Africa)

Thanks for your support.
  • »07.01.17 - 10:38
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    You are right, it is a 4550.
    And as to support, it was something I could do, I`m not looking for any credit.
    I am just trying to support the endeavor of a friend.
    And the cards are easier to obtain here than in South Africa.

I just wanted to help defray the costs Mark was facing.
    After all, had anyone really thought about the shear number of cards that currently need accelerated drivers?
    You can not really expect the guy to buy dozens of video cards AND then do all the creative work, can you?

And as to the repeated calls for a driver for the HD 7750, you will have one...eventually.
    Frankly, I would be happy refitting an X5000 with an X1950XTX video card, if I could just get current MorphOS support for the X50000 itself.

And those earlier cards I mention should easily be able to match the 7750 as we are soon to be somewhat CPU bound when it comes to graphics performance.

Think about it, if you were a SAM owner, would you want to spend $150 on an HD 7750 when you could get an earlier card for $20-30?

It's rumored (and I have not asked) that Frank and Mark started the SAM460 port with X1300 video cards until they obtained 4650 cards.
    That would be a cool card to have, and I am sure there are plenty of X1000 owners that would have loved accelerated drivers for the card that shipped with their systems.

My point is, the GCN cards will happen, but throwing in your two cents with this "it ought to be done now to the exclusion of the earlier cards" crap isn't`going to affect the approach Mark is pursuing.

[ Edited by Jim 08.01.2017 - 09:50 ]
  • »07.01.17 - 18:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I don't expect to see the GCN cards addressed anytime soon.
    The next series would likely be the R600s.
    That should include everything from the HD 2400Pro to the 3870.
    After that the R700s should be next, with the HD 4450 to 4890.
    Then there are the cards from the HD 5450 to 6970.

AFTER those, then it would make sense to tackle the GCN cards.

When we get to the R7, R9, and RX cards, we will have a base of earlier cards that will be fully supported (unlike the jump in OS4 from the R200 series to the GCN cards).

IMHO it makes the most sense to start with whatever shipped with the X5000. Then support earlier/later generations after that. I mean, if there are several unsupported GPU families, why not start with whatever people needs/wants? And will anyone really need/want R600 cards at all if newer ones are better and easier ot obtain? What's the point in that?

Actually, a Radeon HD6970 outperforms an HD7750, and earlier cards like the HD5750 are not far behind the 7750, while they can be had at a fraction of the cost.

As to the R600s, I have one in reserve here for myself, so yeah, I guess a few might find those cards interesting.
  • »07.01.17 - 18:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if you were a SAM owner, would you want to spend $150 on an HD 7750 when you
    > could get an earlier card for $20-30?

If I was a Sam460 owner then this would certainly be the case because I wanted to also run OS4 with a 3D-supported graphics card. Thus, I would of course spend the surcharge (just found a new HD 7750 on eBay Germany for 88 EUR (= 93 USD) and a used one for 25 EUR (= 26 USD)) for a 3D-supported GCN-based card instead of buying a cheaper pre-GCN card unsupported in terms of 3D.

>> IMHO it makes the most sense to start with whatever shipped with the X5000.
    >> Then support earlier/later generations after that.

> throwing in your two cents with this "it ought to be done now to the exclusion of
    > the earlier cards" crap

Supporting earlier cards later on wouldn't equal exclusion. And I think takemehomegrandma has a point.
  • »07.01.17 - 21:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Radeon HD6970 outperforms an HD7750, and earlier cards like the HD5750
    > are not far behind the 7750, while they can be had at a fraction of the cost.

Current best price on eBay Germany for used card:

HD 5750: 33 EUR (= 35 USD)
    HD 6970: 99 EUR (= 104 USD)
    HD 7750: 25 EUR (= 26 USD)
  • »07.01.17 - 21:43
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > if you were a SAM owner, would you want to spend $150 on an HD 7750 when you
    > could get an earlier card for $20-30?

If I was a Sam460 owner then this would certainly be the case because I wanted to also run OS4 with a 3D-supported graphics card. Thus, I would of course spend the surcharge (just found a new HD 7750 on eBay Germany for 88 EUR (= 93 USD) and a used one for 25 EUR (= 26 USD)) for a 3D-supported GCN-based card instead of buying a cheaper pre-GCN card unsupported in terms of 3D.

>> IMHO it makes the most sense to start with whatever shipped with the X5000.
    >> Then support earlier/later generations after that.

> throwing in your two cents with this "it ought to be done now to the exclusion of
    > the earlier cards" crap

Supporting earlier cards later on wouldn't equal exclusion. And I think takemehomegrandma has a point.

You would.
    But then, how much time have either of you spent using OS4?
    Until recently most Amiga software relied on composting, and they still managed to get fairly decent results.

Most of the cards I've mentioned work fine under OS4.
    And like I said before, I'd settle for an R500 card in an X5000 right now.
    Then again, I'd primarily be running MorphOS or Linux, rarely OS4.

Now IF we could use two Radaeon cards simultaneously...
    I'd like to have an HD Radeon PCIe card and a Radeon 9200 PCI card running simultaneously on two or three displays.
  • »07.01.17 - 22:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> if you were a SAM owner, would you want to spend $150 on an HD 7750 when you
    >>> could get an earlier card for $20-30?

>> If I was a Sam460 owner then this would certainly be the case because I wanted to
    >> also run OS4 with a 3D-supported graphics card. Thus, I would of course spend the
    >> surcharge [...] for a 3D-supported GCN-based card instead of buying a cheaper
    >> pre-GCN card unsupported in terms of 3D.

> You would.

...if I was a Sam460 owner, yes.

> But then, how much time have either of you spent using OS4?

My time spent using OS4 equals the time I have spent on a Sam460 ;-) For someone who doesn't want to run OS4 there's no reason to buy a Sam460. Thus, someone who buys a Sam460 wants to run OS4, either as sole OS or with MorphOS and/or Linux multi-boot options. I'm sure that virtually every Sam460 owner prefers his graphics card to be 3D-supported by every OS he boots on the machine.
    Current and future X5000 owners are surely no different in that, but they should be able to install a second graphics card in the PCIe x4 slot (the PCIe x16 slot also has just 4 lanes connected, so bandwidth is the same).

> Until recently most Amiga software relied on composting,
    > and they still managed to get fairly decent results.

Compositing doesn't work too well with real 3D programs (as opposed to apparent 2D programs which use 3D functions for effects), and it doesn't work at all for ports of 3D programs from other platforms that only support 3D hardware rendering.

> Most of the cards I've mentioned work fine under OS4.

...in 2D and Compositing. Bar ancient R100/R200-based cards, pre-GCN cards are not supported by Warp3D or Warp3D Nova, and thus also not supported by MiniGL or OpenGL ES 2.0.

> I'd settle for an R500 card in an X5000 right now. Then again, I'd primarily be running
    > MorphOS or Linux, rarely OS4.

Yes, that's you. Most current and future X5000 owners' priorities are reversed, I bet. And there may be X5000 owners with priorities quite balanced between OS4 and MorphOS who would like to have 3D support under both OS.
  • »08.01.17 - 00:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I have to agree with Andreas Wolf on this topic Jim. Unless Mark and Frank need to work their way up through all the different video cards, in order to learn how each one works, and add 3D acceleration piece by piece, as they learn, it really does not make sense to me to try to support so many different video cards, when supporting just a half dozen should be more than adequate, with more being worked on in the future as necessary. Starting off with the video card that A-Eon has chosen to supply with X5000 systems that are sold as a complete computer system, would make sense to me.

Of course, I have no knowledge on how and why Mark (and/or Frank) are choosing which video cards to work on next, and I trust their judgement, but I hope that they are not doing more work than they really need to do, as I know it is taking a large part of their free time to work on these video card drivers.

If Mark (and/or Frank) skip several video cards, and only choose ones that make the most sense to support, I think the majority of the community will understand and approve of that course of action.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.01.17 - 00:38
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Radeon HD6970 outperforms an HD7750, and earlier cards like the HD5750
    > are not far behind the 7750, while they can be had at a fraction of the cost.

Current best price on eBay Germany for used card:

HD 5750: 33 EUR (= 35 USD)
    HD 6970: 99 EUR (= 104 USD)
    HD 7750: 25 EUR (= 26 USD)

Point me to the 7750, because I want one for my Lenovo SFF system (which currently has a 6450), the cost of those here is several times higher.
    But it has to be a SFF card (that is what is shipped with the X5000 and what I need for the Lenovo).

In fact, if the 7750 is still shipped with the X5000 when I buy a system, I'm pulling it for install in my X64 system, and installing a 6970 or 7850.

[ Edited by Jim 08.01.2017 - 08:40 ]
  • »08.01.17 - 01:25
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I have to agree with Andreas Wolf on this topic Jim. Unless Mark and Frank need to work their way up through all the different video cards, in order to learn how each one works, and add 3D acceleration piece by piece, as they learn, it really does not make sense to me to try to support so many different video cards, when supporting just a half dozen should be more than adequate, with more being worked on in the future as necessary. Starting off with the video card that A-Eon has chosen to supply with X5000 systems that are sold as a complete computer system, would make sense to me.

Of course, I have no knowledge on how and why Mark (and/or Frank) are choosing which video cards to work on next, and I trust their judgement, but I hope that they are not doing more work than they really need to do, as I know it is taking a large part of their free time to work on these video card drivers.

If Mark (and/or Frank) skip several video cards, and only choose ones that make the most sense to support, I think the majority of the community will understand and approve of that course of action.

David, I'm not here to argue about what we want, just to guess what we ARE getting.
    If YOU all want to wait for the GCN cards to be supported, by all means...wait.

I don't have a problem starting with an R500 or R600 card and replacing them as I upgrade.
    Video cards are a cheap investment for me, AND I've gotten a BIG kick out of testing the cards I bought for Mark.
    Before that I relied on lower end cards or SFF cards.
    Even the 4870 was a revelation.
    Guys, we have nothing like that in our repertoire.
    And the 5850 is about twice as powerful.
    The 7850 is not only fast, but surprisingly low draw.

I myself, I'll probably skip the R7 and R9 cards, I'd really like an RX470.

But honestly ALL of you, GET OFF IT.

It will be ready when its done, not a second sooner, and you ought to be grateful that these guys are willing to go to this much trouble.

PLUS, these drivers will be a great base for recompilation to X64.
  • »08.01.17 - 01:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Current best price on eBay Germany for used card: [...]
    >> HD 7750: 25 EUR (= 26 USD)

> Point mew to the 7750

Unfortunately, it apparently was snapped up shortly after posting:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/182410655468

Current best price for used one is 48.50 EUR (= 51 USD):
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/272507337364

> it has to be a SFF card

Sorry, I don't know if they are.

> that is what is shipped with the X5000

Looking through the offerings of the various X5000 distributors I can see that each of them bundles different cards with the system. It's apparently not like A-Eon is stipulating which card to sell with X5000 systems, as long as they are supported by Warp3D Nova.
  • »08.01.17 - 08:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm not here to argue about what we want

Simply keep out of the discussion about what most MorphOS-interested current and future Sam460 or X5000 owners most probably want, then ;-)

> If YOU all want to wait for the GCN cards to be supported, by all means...wait.

That's exactly the point. Tackling the GCN-based cards earlier would mean less waiting for the above-mentioned target group, wouldn't it?

> I don't have a problem starting with an R500 or R600 card

You've made that more than clear by now, but at this point, this part of the discussion isn't about you.

> Video cards are a cheap investment

Our point is not about price but about the ability to use both OS4 and MorphOS with one 3D-supported graphics card in a system that is supported by both OS.

> we have nothing like that in our repertoire.

Our point is also not about performance, see above.

> surprisingly low draw

Our point is also not about power consumption, see above.

> honestly ALL of you, GET OFF IT.

Honestly, I don't think I, takemehomegrandma or amigadave will get off our opinions as to which graphics cards we think would make the most sense for most MorphOS-interested current and future Sam460 or X5000 owners to be supported next.

> you ought to be grateful that these guys are willing to go to this much trouble.

I sure am, but I think I'm allowed to have my own opinions about alleged MorphOS team decisions, and I also think I'm allowed to venture them here on MorphZone.
  • »08.01.17 - 10:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Sure Andreas, you're allowed to have whatever opinion you would like.
    And right now it would appear that you, grandma, and David would like one of our hardest working, and most talented programmers to stop what he is doing and focus his attention not on a specific card, but a group of related cards that will require some additional research (and slow the development of the cards he's been working with).
    Might happen, who knows...
    Personally, as I have a 3870 sitting in waiting, I couldn't care.

I'm not in the drivers seat, nor would I want to be, Amigans are TOO demanding.
    I'm just impressed that Mark is tackling this huge project, while some of you expect ALL the 2D drivers done before 3.10 is released (2D and 3D drivers now go hand in hand and that involves dozens of separate drivers). Or, of course, Mark could shift to the GCN cards, and then he would have to pick a specific target (because they are evolving too).

So, again, not my decision, AND I don't know what is going to happen because (as I've said more than a few times recently) I no longer ask questions about specifics. I trust these guys to make the decisions.
    I am just helping Mark defray some costs.

But, since we're discussing GCN cards, what card would make a good focus? Amiga On The Lake is shipping 7750s. I don't know about the other vendors.

I have nine card here ready to ship, but I could include a few additional cards, including an HD 7850.

If I add Radeon HD 6850, 6970, and 7850 cards to that package it only increases to 12 cards (14 if I add two more). Of course, then there is the long delay getting there).

SO, by Spring, Bigfoot would have everything from R600 to GCN cards on hand.

BUT, the last card he mentioned working with was an R600, so I would expect that series to be first guys.
    Then again, I could be wrong, because again, I don't ask.

I'll leave that up to you guys, because to me it seems...kind of ungrateful.

Edit @ Andreas, I checked out the HD4350 and its not needed, it uses the same core as the HD4550.
    That has been the trick with all these cards, ATI/AMD gives them their numeric designation, but what is really important is what core they are based on.
    Especially from the 6000 series up, where there is a lot of reuse of older tech.

Oh, and to all, I just added the HD7850 to the other nine cards, so that will arrive before the higher end 6000 cards.

[ Edited by Jim 08.01.2017 - 08:51 ]
  • »08.01.17 - 12:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it would appear that you, grandma, and David would like one of our hardest working,
    > and most talented programmers to stop what he is doing and focus his attention not
    > on a specific card, but a group of related cards that will require some additional
    > research (and slow the development of the cards he's been working with).

You misread on two levels. First, nobody here wants him "to stop what he is doing" currently. What was declared against was your proposition of working all the way up through every generation (R600, R700, R800, R900) before starting work on supporting any GCN-based cards. If R600 support is what's currently being worked on, this should be finished of course.
    Second, the fact that we didn't propose a specific GCN-based card doesn't mean there shouldn't be focus on a specific card (or a number of specific cards). Of course, focus should be on the cards that were shipped with the AmigaOne 500 and Sam460 systems and those that are being shipped with the X5000 systems. For the AmigaOne 500 and Sam460 systems this would primarily be HD 77x0 (except HD 7790) and R7 250. For the X5000 see below.

> Amigans are TOO demanding.

Nobody here in this part of the discussion has demanded anything. There were just opinions stated.

> some of you expect ALL the 2D drivers done before 3.10 is released

Who does expect this? Names please.

> Mark could shift to the GCN cards, and then he would have to pick a specific target

Exactly.

> since we're discussing GCN cards, what card would make a good focus?
    > Amiga On The Lake is shipping 7750s. I don't know about the other vendors.

I just had a look at the X5000 vendors:

Amiga On The Lake: HD 7750 or R9 270X (option)
    Alinea: R7 250X
    Amedia: R7 250X
    Relec: R7 250X

So considering the cards shipped with AmigaOne 500 and Sam460 systems mentioned above, these are HD 77x0 (except HD 7790), R7 250(X) and R9 270X. These are all GCN1.

> the last card he mentioned working with was an R600, so I would expect that series
    > to be first guys.

I certainly welcome R600 support.

> to me it seems...kind of ungrateful.

To me it seems you've been misreading what was stated.

> I checked out the HD4350 and its not needed, it uses the same core as the HD4550.

This means all the more that R700 support would start from HD 4350 :-)

> AMD gives them their numeric designation, but what is really important is
    > what core they are based on.

Yes, I know.

> I just added the HD7850 to the other nine cards

Thanks. Core-wise the closest (but not the same) to this from my above list is the R9 270X.

> so that will arrive before the higher end 6000 cards.

Is graphics card support added in the order you ship them? ;-)
  • »08.01.17 - 20:15
    Kronos
    Wow alot of argueing about something neither of you knows (on which cards bigfoot works in which order and in what timeframe) and that won't change a bit (on which cards bigfoot works in which order and in what timeframe).

Thank god bytes on the internet are cheap these days.
  • »08.01.17 - 20:22
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >Is graphics card support added in the order you ship them? ;-)

My shipments, of course.
    I have NO idea what Mark is planning, and no interest in bugging him about it or interjecting my opinion as to how he should approach the project.
    As I've said before, I trust the developers to approach everything as they see fit.

As to the 4350, I'm sure that the R700 driver will cover it.
    I personally wouldn't buy one, primarily because I can get 4450s cheaper.
    And the 4000s don't really get interesting until the 4650/70.

As to the GCN1 cards, yeah, I'd assume the 7850 should serve.
    I think the highest end card Mark mentioned already having was an HD7450 (Caicos, basically the same as a 6450, pre-GCN).

And I think Mark and Frank had 4650 cards for the SAM460 port.

I don't even know if they received cards with the X5000s, but I doubt it.
    And if they did, were they similar to what is being included now?
    Again, f'd if I know, I try not to ask too many questions (the less I know, the less I can blab about).

NOW, if you'd all like to send an R9 270x and possibly an HD7750 (or 7770), that is one less thing I need to worry about.

I've repacked my latest group of cards to include the 7850, and I'll get those out next week.
    That leaves a few higher end 6000 cards to ship and Mark will have a fair representation of the cards after the R500 series.

Then all we'll have to worry about is GCN2, 3, and 4.

That, AND the fact that we could use an OpenGL upgrade.
  • »08.01.17 - 20:40
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Wow alot of argueing about something neither of you knows (on which cards bigfoot works in which order and in what timeframe) and that won't change a bit (on which cards bigfoot works in which order and in what timeframe).

Thank god bytes on the internet are cheap these days.

YES!

Thank you SO much for pointing that out.
    I don't have a freaking clue what Mark's up to, and I'd never try to influence his course anyway since his abilities are vastly beyond my own.
    Frankly, I spent more time last month asking him questions about South Africa, Christmas, and his general welfare than I did discussing MorphOS.

After all guys, these are people (talented people, but people) and I'm sure they get burned out talking shop constantly just like anyone else would.

So, kick back and relax, y'all.
    The only statement I got on GCN is that it would be awhile.
    How long? How the f*ck would I know?

The last time, when I was waiting for the R500 driver, and it popped up fairly quickly with a couple of features I didn't expect (AGP compatibility and Atom bios support).
    When will the R600 driver be ready?
    You guys ask, because I'm satisfied to wait.

And the R700 series? Well Frank and Mark have had one of those for awhile, so that (again) is anyone's guess.

The R800s? Mark has one, I have a few more in the current package (and three more for a shipment after that).

And soon he'll have one GCN1 card, but it could take as long as two months to get to him (South African customs appears to like to hold onto packages for a looonnnggg time).

So, to wrap up this prolonged diversion, I wouldn't expect GCN support with 3.10.
    But you'll get a GCN driver...eventually.

[ Edited by Jim 08.01.2017 - 14:57 ]
  • »08.01.17 - 20:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > alot of argueing about something neither of you knows (on which cards bigfoot
    > works in which order and in what timeframe)

I was arguing about which graphics cards most MorphOS-interested current and future Sam460 or X5000 owners most probably want supported sooner than later. And I was arguing against Jim's original proposition of working all the way up through every Radeon generation before starting work on supporting cards that would be best for the mentioned target group. I was certainly not arguing about "on which cards bigfoot works in which order and in what timeframe", because, as you say, I simply don't know "on which cards bigfoot works in which order and in what timeframe".

> that won't change a bit

This goes for the majority of arguing on the WWW, doesn't it? :-) But wait, our arguing did change a bit, namely that Jim will now include a GCN-based card into his shipment to bigfoot :-)
  • »08.01.17 - 22:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I can get 4450s cheaper.

;-)

> I don't even know if they received cards with the X5000s, but I doubt it.
    > And if they did, were they similar to what is being included now?

Most probably not.

> Then all we'll have to worry about is GCN2, 3, and 4. That, AND the fact that we could
    > use an OpenGL upgrade.

Indeed.
  • »08.01.17 - 22:44
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ Andreas,

Agreed, our primary disagreement is based on how we think this should be approached.
    I don't really care if Mark wants to work on the earlier cards first (I don't even know what his plans are in regard to the GCN cards, except that he mentioned it would be awhile before those were supported).
    If you guys want to push for more focus on the latter cards, by all means do so, I'm happy to wait.
    And being a hardware head, I'd be happy upgrading as newer cards were supported.
  • »08.01.17 - 22:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The only statement I got on GCN is that it would be awhile. [...]
    > I wouldn't expect GCN support with 3.10.

I think nobody really does.
  • »08.01.17 - 22:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The only statement I got on GCN is that it would be awhile. [...]
    > I wouldn't expect GCN support with 3.10.

I think nobody really does.

Yep, I don't ever remember hearing it was to be included, I'm just happy to know its in the developer's sights.
    I chaff at the bit as much as anyone, as I've already mentioned with my constant waffling on whether or not to settle for the dual core X5000.

But it will be cool, I just have to have patience, and I should eventually have a four core X5000 with a GCN based video card to round out my PPC collection.

Then I can wait for how ever long it takes to make the move to X64, WITH some damned cool hardware.

I do wish there were some SAM460s to be had though, it would make a good 'appetizer'.

I have received absolutely zero response from Acube when inquiring about that board.

[ Edited by Jim 08.01.2017 - 18:00 ]
  • »08.01.17 - 23:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    In Frying Pan the DVD±R/W UJ-875 drive is found, and I can use it to write DVD±R/W discs, but it won't recognise DL discs it seems, so does anyone know if Jalapeno can use/write to DL discs, or Frying Pan, as I don't seem to be able to find any docs that indicate if it/they can/not?

I mention this as I put a DL DVD in my Matsushita (Panasonic) UJ-875, which is a DL DVD recorder/reader and I could see the disk listed on Ambient/MyMorphOS, but I couldn't get it to open or be read via MPlayer as that too could not 'see' the disc to open the disc files it seems.

I just wondered if anyone knows if Dual-Layer (DL) DVD drives and recording disks to them is supported with any software with MorphOS currently, and reading from them, or if it will be supported in future releases?

Might Blu-ray be supported at any time in the future - is it in any 'future-roadmap'?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »09.01.17 - 03:56