AWN claims MOS users stalk and make death threats
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I don't want to get too deep into psychology Nick, since most of the people I know in the field admit the science can be a little soft.
    And we just start playing sides again, "I know you are, but what am I?".

And maybe having some sympathy for the Friedens seems misplaced, but after hearing some of the BS I've heard about Bill Buck from the OS4 community, I can't help but draw some parallels.

No argument from me Jim, those nutjobs that threatened the twins are beyond r the pale. The Amiga world seems to attract oddballs more than any other retro computing scene sadly.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »18.11.16 - 18:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
    @redrumloa

to be clear the term 'usual suspects' has *nothing* to do with MOS users. if there are moderation actions i've taken that seem to be unfair to you, please point them out via PM or the moderator feedback forum on a.org. i'm not perfect, and feedback helps me do the best i can. and while i tend to use AOS4 more than AROS or MOS, i enjoy all three, and use all three. i do not have animosity towards this community, MOS developers, or MOS enthusiasts.

just wanted to clear that up.

-- eliyahu

Go back and re-read the statements about "usual suspects" making death threats and stalking. I don't think such statements should be left with even a vague target. If there are people in the Kommunity who are really that unhinged, they should be named by name. I don't think any average user of any platform wants to be associated with someone who makes death threats. That person(s) would have to be mentally unhinged and is a danger to everyone. These people shouldn't be allowed to be sleepers in Kommunity, if they really exist.

Unlike AmigaDave, I don't think such actions, if real, should be taken lightly.

[ Edited by redrumloa 18.11.2016 - 15:59 ]
  • »18.11.16 - 18:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Sharing a link to Google Maps that includes the official address of
    > a corporate entity (namely Arix Foundation Inc.) is not nice?

IIRC it wasn't (just) a link to Google Maps but (also) a link to a screenshot of that page uploaded to some image hosting site. I'm not sure whether this would increase or decrease the niceness level, though ;-)
  • »18.11.16 - 20:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 18.11.2016 - 21:09 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »18.11.16 - 20:48
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

You pulled the whole post grandma?
    This one seems to be drawing some comments that aren't being filtered before they are posted.
    But when you've sorted out WHAT you think...
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »18.11.16 - 21:41
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
    @redrumloa

to be clear the term 'usual suspects' has *nothing* to do with MOS users. if there are moderation actions i've taken that seem to be unfair to you, please point them out via PM or the moderator feedback forum on a.org. i'm not perfect, and feedback helps me do the best i can. and while i tend to use AOS4 more than AROS or MOS, i enjoy all three, and use all three. i do not have animosity towards this community, MOS developers, or MOS enthusiasts.

just wanted to clear that up.

-- eliyahu

Go back and re-read the statements about "usual suspects" making death threats and stalking. I don't think such statements should be left with even a vague target. If there are people in the Kommunity who are really that unhinged, they should be named by name. I don't think any average user of any platform wants to be associated with someone who makes death threats. That person(s) would have to be mentally unhinged and is a danger to everyone. These people shouldn't be allowed to be sleepers in Kommunity, if they really exist.

The "usual suspects" tends to be used to refer to a small band of members who thrash out the same tired old arguments again and again. It covers users tending to have an entrenched bias towards one particular variant, be that OS4, 68k, MorphOS or AROS.

You could always try to rise above it rather get angry about what someone said on a forum you no longer use. Surely you gave up posting there because you'd had enough. Why lurk there if what people post only serves to irk you, and if you can't help looking then you might as well challenge anything you believe to be untrue or to have gone too far right there and then. People on sites like Morphzone and Amigans are relatively pleasant towards each other so why bring trouble to your front door.
  • »19.11.16 - 00:13
    hooligan
    I want my five minutes of reading this BACK.

FUCKING NOW!
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »19.11.16 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

Wow, either you're a pretty fast reader or you've just scanned though the thread, but then you should rather write:

"I want my five minutes of scanning through this BACK"
  • »19.11.16 - 15:10
    hooligan
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

Wow, either you're a pretty fast reader or you've just scanned though the thread, but then you should rather write:

"I want my five minutes of scanning through this BACK"

Then I am a fast reader. But to be completely honest, I did not time it.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »19.11.16 - 15:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

Death threats are usually signed by the person making them???

Now I know you live in a different universe contained entirely within your mind.

And what statement did I ever make that could be interpreted that I think death threats "should be taken lightly"?

You have really fallen off the deep end Red.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »19.11.16 - 22:02
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    The "Amiga"-community is the worst, it feels like there can't be one single week without drama and fighting over nothing...

And just to make myself clear, by Amiga-community I mean all branches of Amiga including MOS.

Why can't we all just be friends :/

[ Edited by fx 21.11.2016 - 10:24 ]
  • »21.11.16 - 10:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Baseless slander is being allowed on one of the corporate sites. Vague accusations are being made without a single citation that such things happened. The language is vague on who they are accusing, but it is pretty obvious enough given users like eliyahu's statements in the past. Such accusations towards a small community is slander that should not be allowed to stand. If it really happened, which I doubt, they should name names.

Well, I agree, although not on the slander. Any accusation this serious needs to be aimed, otherwise it's almost as unpleasant as making death threats in the first place. If I had a pound sterling for every time I've seen or heard of such an accusation fold when the accuser(s) have to supply details, well... I wouldn't need to work, put it that way. Assuming that it is not invented, I can understand a need to vent, but that helps nothing and no-one: it gratifies the threatener and turns people against the threatened, and generates bad feeling all round. If the case warrants sufficient concern and is highly specific (i.e. pictures obviously not lazily doxxed or taken from google street view), the police should be the first people to complain to, not a forum.

Let's also be serious: I know this shit goes on, so I'm not going to assume slander. It's been going on in Amiga land since usenet and before, by every and all sides. In a platform with 100 million users, all it takes is one fruitloop, whether a true believer or a false flagger. The vast majority of death threats have the equivalence of abuse in the average youtube thread, generally about as threatening as a tin of rice pudding: untargeted, lazy, and easily ignored - and tends only to be an issue when some pseudo-political want to gather victimhood as political point scoring.

TLDR: If it's serious, go to the police. If it's not worth going to the police, then it's not serious. Ignore.
  • »21.11.16 - 18:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    It it simple.
    Many years ago Amiga OS API was made in cpu dependent way.
    Apps peek and poke into system and other apps and excpect data to be in 32 bit big endian format.
    CPU may be changed, but only to one that support 32 bit big-endian mode.
    Some idiots do not acccept reality, and thinks that if they attack enough long powerpc and Hyperion reality will change.
    Of course it will not happen, old apps do not rewrite themselves in a magical way.
    The only way to go further is to accept the reality by red, terminilis, olaf Schickelgruber and others.
  • »27.11.16 - 08:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Best menaces, trolling and stalking Amiga users thread I ever read in years.

Can you ask "usual suspects" to post some more curses, menaces and statements of MorphOS superiority on AWN in order to being banned, and making this thread even more intriguing while I make some good popcorn, to better enjoy the reading? :-)

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte 27.11.2016 - 10:54 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »27.11.16 - 10:53
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    "Are you not entertained?"

Personally I prefer my horror stories to be fictional.
    And these don't appear to be, and again, they don't appear to be the fault of people in our community.

We get enough flack for the occasional posted reminder that we might have a better solution. ;-)
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.11.16 - 15:46
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > The only incident I can remember someone posting photos of someone's house
    > and their kids playing in the garden was when an OS4 using lunatic did that
    > to Terminills when ARIX was being announced.

To put this into perspective, what was posted was the public Google Street View image of the official Arix Foundation Inc. corporate address. It's not like the "OS4 using lunatic" drove from Oregon to Florida and made photos of terminills' home.

Either way, it's not a very nice thing to do.

All good and TBH if I had it to do again... I wouldn't have spent the almost $50,000 on random software to update nor bothered with anything in this community. For the record it was NY not Florida ;)

[ Edited by terminills 30.11.2016 - 10:58 ]
  • »30.11.16 - 11:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> It's not like the "OS4 using lunatic" drove from Oregon to Florida and
    >>> made photos of terminills' home.

>> Either way, it's not a very nice thing to do.

> if I had it to do again... I wouldn't have spent the almost $50,000 on
    > random software to update

That's what you paid for the rights to FinalWriter and FinalData?

> For the record it was NY not Florida ;)

Thanks for the correction. I think I got confused by the filing state being Florida.
  • »30.11.16 - 13:55
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >>> It's not like the "OS4 using lunatic" drove from Oregon to Florida and
    >>> made photos of terminills' home.

>> Either way, it's not a very nice thing to do.

> if I had it to do again... I wouldn't have spent the almost $50,000 on
    > random software to update

That's what you paid for the rights to FinalWriter and FinalData?

> For the record it was NY not Florida ;)

Thanks for the correction. I think I got confused by the filing state being Florida.

Not just those two. Those were just the two I mentioned in public.
  • »30.11.16 - 17:39
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

terminills wrote:
    Not just those two. Those were just the two I mentioned in public.

Whatever will happen to those projects in the future, I am happy for you that you have this level of disposable income to spend on side projects in the first place :-)
  • »30.11.16 - 18:12