MorphOS pricing drop announced? Official?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Someone posted to Facebook that MorphOS had announced a pricing drop for registration. I don't find that news here, on the official website nor Wikipedia. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If confirmed, news link?

Speaking of Wikipedia and pricing, the info on Wikipedia is grossly out of date. Also on the official website I don't find pricing info at all.
  • »26.10.16 - 22:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Someone posted to Facebook that MorphOS had announced a pricing drop for registration. I don't find that news here, on the official website nor Wikipedia. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If confirmed, news link?

Speaking of Wikipedia and pricing, the info on Wikipedia is grossly out of date. Also on the official website I don't find pricing info at all.

From the FAQ page:

"The price of a MorphOS hardware bound keyfile depends on your choice of target system. The prices are 111.11 EUR for one PowerBook G4 system, iBook G4 or Power Mac G5, 79 EUR for one eMac, Mac mini G4, Pegasos I, Pegasos II or PowerMac G4, and 49 EUR for one EfikaPPC or Sam460 system. "

[ Edited by amigadave 26.10.2016 - 17:40 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.10.16 - 22:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    From the FAQ page:

"The price of a MorphOS hardware bound keyfile depends on your choice of target system. The prices are 111.11 EUR for one PowerBook G4 system, iBook G4 or Power Mac G5, 79 EUR for one eMac, Mac mini G4, Pegasos I, Pegasos II or PowerMac G4, and 49 EUR for one EfikaPPC or Sam460 system. "

OK, I'm feeling dumb but where is the FAQ page?

2zxpell.jpg

-edit-
    Apologies for the terrible English :-o

[ Edited by redrumloa 26.10.2016 - 23:33 ]
  • »26.10.16 - 22:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > where is the FAQ page?

HELP DESK.
  • »26.10.16 - 23:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    There is indeed a new pricing scheme in effect as of today:

So the FAQ should read something like this now:

The price of a MorphOS hardware bound keyfile depends on your choice of target system.

The prices are 79 EUR for
    - PowerBook G4 system,
    - iBook G4
    - Power Mac G5
    - eMac
    - Mac mini G4
    - Pegasos I
    - Pegasos II
    - PowerMac G4
    and 49 EUR for
    - EfikaPPC
    - Sam460 system

And, just to make this clear again for people being afraid of loss of keyfile investment due to defective hardware: The hardware bound keyfile will be transferred free of charge to a replacement machine if ever required - not bound or time limited to the original registration date. The keyfile will also stay valid for every future MorphOS3 update that is ever going to be released.

The information has not been updated on the webpages yet but it is going to happen soon ...
  • »27.10.16 - 00:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:

The price of a MorphOS hardware bound keyfile depends on your choice of target system.

- PowerBook G4 system,
    - iBook G4
    - Power Mac G5
    - eMac
    - Mac mini G4
    - Pegasos I
    - Pegasos II
    - PowerMac G4
    and 49 EUR for
    - EfikaPPC
    - Sam460 system

And, just to make this clear again for people being afraid of loss of keyfile investment due to defective hardware: The hardware bound keyfile will be transferred free of charge to a replacement machine if ever required - not bound or time limited to the original registration date. The keyfile will also stay valid for every future MorphOS3 update that is ever going to be released.

The information has not been updated on the webpages yet but it is going to happen soon ...

Good stuff! Thank you for the clarification!
  • »27.10.16 - 01:34
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:

- PowerBook G4 system,
    - iBook G4
    - Power Mac G5
    - eMac
    - Mac mini G4
    - Pegasos I
    - Pegasos II
    - PowerMac G4
    and 49 EUR for
    - EfikaPPC
    - Sam460 system

Yes, good stuff.
    And thanks to the developers for the drop in prices and for making the pricing more even.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.10.16 - 03:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    At 79 Euro I may register my 2nd powerbook now. Its a shame I just paid 111.11 for my G5 a month ago, lol!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »27.10.16 - 04:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Elric
    Hello!

Very fine new!

And I realy like the new picture of the home page at morphos.de!
    Just one thing on it can be "more": for sure you (MOSTeam) know that there are blue stars too in our univers... ;-)

Waiting firmly for MOS 3.10! :-)

Thanks guys, you are the MOST's!

Amigan salutations.

[ Edited by Elric 27.10.2016 - 12:08 ]
  • »27.10.16 - 09:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Now there shouldnt be any whining about pricing.
  • »27.10.16 - 11:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    datura
    I've just joined into MorphOS community, after using long time AmigaOS 3 series on classic hardware then having long break in last decade. That's great news for me! I was planning to register recently. I have two PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz and one iBook G4 1.42 GHz. Now I can register for two computers not only one; yes! Thank you for the information.
    PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 17", 128GB SSD, Radeon 9700, MorphOS, OS X Leopard, Ubuntu MATE
    PowerBook G4 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 15", 160GB HDD, Radeon 9700, MorphOS, OS X Leopard, Ubuntu MATE
  • »27.10.16 - 13:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:

You are more optimistic than I am.

”Linux is t3h free!11!!”, ”OS4 is 25 quid!” etc.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »27.10.16 - 13:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

TheMagicM schrieb:

There will be always some whining.
    But probabyl less than before.

Thumbs up for the new pricing scheme.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »27.10.16 - 14:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

datura wrote:
    I've just joined into MorphOS community, after using long time AmigaOS 3 series on classic hardware then having long break in last decade. That's great news for me! I was planning to register recently. I have two PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz and one iBook G4 1.42 GHz. Now I can register for two computers not only one; yes! Thank you for the information.

Welcome! :-)
  • »27.10.16 - 14:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:

LOL! Yeah, we'll get some of that.
  • »27.10.16 - 14:11
    Kronos
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    At 79 Euro I may register my 2nd powerbook now. Its a shame I just paid 111.11 for my G5 a month ago, lol!

Over the time I had about 10 keys and the highest price paid was 150€

For the Efika........
  • »27.10.16 - 15:03
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Blasterreal
    What is the date of release MorphOS 3.10 ?
  • »27.10.16 - 17:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    I paid 150Euro for my G4 Powermac key (MOS2.7) - and I don't want my money back *lol*

It's a good decison to have only 2 different prices.

Quote:

you can have QNX as a 30-day free evaluation and you can delete it aftererwards! (if anyone cares about that)

[ Editiert durch defender 27.10.2016 - 19:54 ]
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »27.10.16 - 17:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Acill wrote:

Over the time I had about 10 keys and the highest price paid was 150€

For the Efika........

I bought it for my Efika while they had the lower introductory price.
  • »27.10.16 - 18:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    someone should post a news item on AO about the new price........................
  • »28.10.16 - 03:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:

- PowerBook G4 system,
    - iBook G4
    - Power Mac G5
    - eMac
    - Mac mini G4
    - Pegasos I
    - Pegasos II
    - PowerMac G4
    and 49 EUR for
    - EfikaPPC
    - Sam460 system

Thanks for this info, I am sure it will make many people who previously complained about the different prices happy, or happier than they used to be.

Off Topic: 3rd party software development for AmigaOS4.x is currently getting a big boost mostly from A-Eon/AmigaKit, which seems to be helping by increasing software development for that platform. I know that MorphOS team members code only in their spare time, and many/most of you have less free time, now that you are a little older, and have more responsibilities (families to raise and care for), but is there anything that MorphOS users can do to help the MorphOS Dev. Team, or 3rd party software developers who want to create/port software for MorphOS? Not the first time I have asked this or similar question, but I figure it does not hurt to ask occasionally, in case anything has changed, and there is anything new the users can do to help out.

As always, I applaud the MorphOS Dev. Team members for not charging for any updates, but even though I paid full price (150 euros) for my first MorphOS keyfile for my Efika, I would not object to paying for future updates, if those funds would help sustain development of MorphOS in the future.

I think everyone expects to pay a new license fee, for the X64 port of MorphOS, due to the massive amount of work needed to complete it, and the fact that it will essentially be a different OS, with modern features, but I expect that OS to take years to complete, and hope that continuing improvement of our current PPC version of MorphOS will continue, along side the work being done on the X64 version.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.10.16 - 04:24
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    As always, I applaud the MorphOS Dev. Team members for not charging for any updates, but even though I paid full price (150 euros) for my first MorphOS keyfile for my Efika, I would not object to paying for future updates, if those funds would help sustain development of MorphOS in the future.

This has been discussed many times and I still think that would be a bad idea. MorphOS has a natural update plan, because the keyfile is bound to hw. I bet many of us don't use the machine with 150 euros keyfile much anymore, but have been upgrading to faster systems and paid the "update" price by buying keyfiles for them.

For example, I have bought my first keyfile for Pegasos1, which I don't use that much anymore and it's mainly for occasional testing, and I definitely wouldn't buy a paid update for it anymore. Since then I've moved to Mac mini, IBook, and PowerBook. And now I still have G5 and another IBook waiting for future registration.

The worst thing with paid updates would be that it would split the user/machine base. It would create more work to developers if they'd want to support both old and new version with their software, or if they wouldn't do that, not-updated machines would be left for even less use. We saw how many MorphOS users stopped being active in 1.4.5 -> 2.0 switch, which was a similar situation. Our active userbase dropped dramatically by that.

And if you look at the sold keyfiles chart, the amount of keyfiles sold per month has been constantly increasing, and I think that it's a prove that the natural path seems to work. I think that paid updates would scare users from registering new or secondary machines, and overall sales would drop. Users are what we need, and that wouldn't serve it.

If MorphOS team would want more money, I think the better way could be an official voluntary donation option instead?

And it's now clearly stated, that all updates to 3.x will be free always, so it's a bit useless to bring up the topic :)

[ Edited by jPV 28.10.2016 - 09:10 ]
  • »28.10.16 - 05:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if you look at the sold keyfiles chart, the amount of keyfiles sold
    > per month has been constantly increasing

It's not the *sold* keyfiles chart, but the *issued* keyfiles chart (and not even that, as attempting to register a machine but finally failing to pay for the license creates a new keyfile number, too). As the failure rate of PPC Mac hardware is constantly increasing as well due to age, the rate of free keyfiles issued for replacement machines is likely increasing as well, adding more and more to the numbers recorded by the chart. I don't know how the chart would look like if the number of issued replacement keyfiles (and keyfiles finally not paid for) was subtracted in the chart, though. Given the current marginal rate of increase, there's a possibility real sales rate is stagnating or even decreasing.
  • »28.10.16 - 07:00