• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I think everyone expects to pay a new license fee, for the X64 port of MorphOS,
    > due to the massive amount of work needed to complete it, and the fact
    > that it will essentially be a different OS, with modern features

There's even a more technical reason as to why this will likely be the case:

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=14&topic_id=5875&start=831

Isn't it quite obvious even with the current licensing scheme without thinking it too difficult? New machine, new license :) I think only question would be that if "4.0" will also be available for PPC and not only for X64, what would happen then.

I think a certain degree of confusion would happen then; same HW, same processor, but suddenly a MorphOS version (and programs made for it as well) that is incompatible with all previous versions. But if they really differentiate the name, like using a "4.0" branch version for example (or some suffix like "Nova", "Neo" or whatever), they could make it more clear. Perhaps they could then even continue with the old PPC branch in parallel, like 3.11, 3.12 etc? If someone has energy and time to do that...

In a way I think it would be interesting if the OS and SDK could be enough abstracted to become HW independent from a user/developer POV (compile your application for any and all platforms by setting a flag or something). When Amiga backwards compatibility requirement is dropped, this will of course much more realistic. Maybe the PPC could be supported then as well? And at least some ARM platform, like Raspberry Pi's. :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.10.16 - 10:41