HYPErion OS3.1 released!
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >>"...orthographic..."

I had to look that word up, intense Andreas, seriously.

More simply, yes, its misspelled.

Although that price is good.
    And I have no problem with Hyperion using the sources it has to recompile OS 3.1.
    Unlike Cloanto's 'enhancements', this seems like a pretty basic straight forward product.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »19.10.16 - 21:39
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    >>"...orthographic..."

I had to look that word up, intense Andreas, seriously.

More simply, yes, its misspelled.

Although that price is good.
    And I have no problem with Hyperion using the sources it has to recompile OS 3.1.
    Unlike Cloanto's 'enhancements', this seems like a pretty basic straight forward product.

As far as I do remember, license they won in the end of AmigaInc court was also for use and distribution of AmigaOS 3.x (ending with 3.1 as last CBM product). So its a bit expectable, to generate retro-revenue, plus no much sweat (in terms of real enhancements usable for real 68k or Vampre users).

It generated either much anger (no need, anyone can use their CBM style KS and WB)or too high expectations (that they will develop OS 3.x further, beyond possibility of backporting Enhancer and PPaint and maybe some more AEON products).

Knowing pace AmigaOS 4.x develops, even if it would be true, that would be ... slooow.

And if I would go Vampire ways, a bit patched Real AmiKit and AROS 68k would be all I need.

For OS 3.9 purists, there have been unofficial BoingBags 3&4 - similar to what AmiKit did - a AmiNet packages that extend OS 3.x functionality close to OS 4.x levels.
    http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/bbag4.htm
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »20.10.16 - 08:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

What an extremely strange thing to say. Your Hyperion enthusiasm aside, why are you saying this? Do you have any idea whatsoever what you are talking about?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.10.16 - 11:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    Quote:

For OS 3.9 purists, there have been unofficial BoingBags 3&4 - similar to what AmiKit did - a AmiNet packages that extend OS 3.x functionality close to OS 4.x levels.

That link refers to an obsolete version. The current version is V1.26, available from http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/#others
  • »20.10.16 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    Quote:

That link refers to an obsolete version. The current version is V1.26, available from http://amigan.1emu.net/releases/#others

Thanks, wasnt aware of that. However, there are many nice pages to read about "What makes essence of AmigaOS" on original site.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »23.10.16 - 09:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Has Cloanto officially taken exception to HYPErion's OS3.1 fork? It looks like this is being discussed as a matter of fact now.

Quote:

That this turns out to be a "Hyperion vs. Cloanto" fight is just sad. It would make much more sense to keep development under a common umbrella.

Have any new info Andreas?
  • »23.10.16 - 22:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Bugfix update for Workbench 3.1 (40.43)

Brussels, October 25, 2016

Hyperion is pleased to announce the immediate availability of an update to the recently released Workbench 3.1 (40.43) to address a few reported issues.

Registered customers can download the free update from the restricted download area on the Hyperion Entertainment website, new customers will automatically get the fixed version via our fulfillment partner avangate.

Changes:

FIXED: The Workbench disk image was not bootable
    FIXED: The installation script could wrongly copy the contents of the Install disk into FONTS:

[ Edited by redrumloa 25.10.2016 - 14:05 ]
  • »25.10.16 - 16:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Changes:

How incompetent can the guys at Hyperion be to not realize that the Workbench disks they are making aren't bootable?!?

Quote:

FIXED: The installation script could wrongly copy the contents of the Install disk into FONTS:

"Could wrongly copy"? What does that mean? Sometimes it correctly installs the files and other times it copies them all to the "Fonts" directory/drawer?

Hyperion is such an embarrassment and crippling boat anchor for the Amiga community. Unfortunately, Ben Hermans will probably never give up control of the AmigaOS ip, to allow any more competent person/company or the community itself, to push it forward more quickly and with better quality control.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.10.16 - 18:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Hyperion is such an embarrassment and crippling boat anchor for the Amiga community.

Wait, are you plagiarizing me? I demand you pay royalties immediately! ;-)
  • »25.10.16 - 21:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Has Cloanto officially taken exception to HYPErion's OS3.1 fork? It looks like this is being discussed as a matter of fact now.

Quote:

That this turns out to be a "Hyperion vs. Cloanto" fight is just sad. It would make much more sense to keep development under a common umbrella.

Have any new info Andreas?

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong in this, but didn't that "purchase OS4.1 as digital download" link on Hyperion's website take you to Cloanto's webshop before, where you could buy OS4 for PowerUP/UAE PPC? It still takes you to their webshop, but I can't seem to find OS4 there? I think I recall seeing it there a couple of days ago though, when I was looking for Cloanto's Workbench package for Amigas, but maybe I'm hallucinating...? Or maybe it was never there, but somewhere else...? Anyone remembers...?
  • »25.10.16 - 22:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Hmm, maybe I'm wrong in this, but didn't that "purchase OS4.1 as digital download" link on Hyperion's website take you to Cloanto's webshop before, where you could buy OS4 for PowerUP/UAE PPC? It still takes you to their webshop, but I can't seem to find OS4 there? I think I recall seeing it there a couple of days ago though, when I was looking for Cloanto's Workbench package for Amigas, but maybe I'm hallucinating...? Or maybe it was never there, but somewhere else...? Anyone remembers...?

No, I'm pretty sure it was there! Looks like things aren't friendly between the 2 companies after all, like some of the rabid apologists were insisting.

HYPErion vs Cloanto lawsuit next?

-Edit-
    Yup, it SURE WAS!!
    Quote:

Brussels, December 17, 2015

Hyperion Entertainment CVBA is very happy to announce the immediate availability of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition for Classic for purchase as digital download.

In close cooperation with Cloanto Italia srl, well known for their Amiga Forever and C64 Forever lines of products, this is the first step and testbed for Hyperion Entertainment towards offering gradually its full line of products as digital downloads in addition to the traditional distribution of physical products through the existing dealer network.

To offer the best possible shopping experience to our customers and following the experience of our partners, Avangate was chosen as fulfillment partner to take care of the whole purchase process in the most secure manner possible and allows to offer several local payment options to customers all over the world.

Customers of the digital download version of AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition for Classic get an archive containing

ISO9660 image of the installation media,
    ADF image of the bootfloppy disk,
    PDF of the DVD cover,
    PDF of the CD label,
    PDF of the booklet and
    the serial number in confirmation mail,

which enables them to produce their own backup media including the official artwork*.

After successful completion of the test phase, interested dealers will be welcome to become part of the affiliate network in order to offer the available digital downloads to their respective customers directly on their website.

We all want to use this opportunity to wish you a very merry christmas and a happy new year 2016.

* reduced quality suitable for home printing equipment

Source: http://www.hyperion-entertainment.bi...gital-download

[ Edited by redrumloa 25.10.2016 - 21:11 ]
  • »25.10.16 - 23:07
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Don't worry guys, it's still available.

https://secure.avangate.com/order/checkout.php?PRODS=4670512&QTY=1&CART=1&CARD=1&PAY_TYPE=PAYPAL
  • »26.10.16 - 00:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    Don't worry guys, it's still available.

https://secure.avangate.com/order/checkout.php?PRODS=4670512&QTY=1&CART=1&CARD=1&PAY_TYPE=PAYPAL

Apparently from Hyperion, not Cloanto.
  • »26.10.16 - 01:00
  • rob
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Changes:

How incompetent can the guys at Hyperion be to not realize that the Workbench disks they are making aren't bootable?!?

Quote:

"Could wrongly copy"? What does that mean? Sometimes it correctly installs the files and other times it copies them all to the "Fonts" directory/drawer?

Hyperion is such an embarrassment and crippling boat anchor for the Amiga community. Unfortunately, Ben Hermans will probably never give up control of the AmigaOS ip, to allow any more competent person/company or the community itself, to push it forward more quickly and with better quality control.

Olaf Barthel has provided an explanation of what went wrong and gave some insight into the build process.

"If there are similarities, I expect they resulted from changing what used to work back in 1994 and finding that subtle problems slipped through the testing process.

In the case of this Workbench/Kickstart 3.1 update, the changes made were deliberately kept small so as to reduce the risk of breaking anything. That was the plan, but what caused the troubles was for one part the build process itself, and the subtleties of writing installation scripts.

The build process cranks out ready-made Kickstart ROM images and a set of drawers whose contents correspond exactly to the Extras/Fonts/Install/Locale/Storage/Workbench disks. In order to create those disks, the respective contents are copied to RAD: and the result then goes into an .adf image, one disk at a time. The Install/Workbench disks are special in that they both need to be bootable (they have been since the original 1994 release), and that the respective disk boot blocks need to be installed manually (ever tried "install rad:"?). Lack of automation of this process kept the Workbench disk from being bootable (the A4000T has its own issues with the Workbench disk; see below).

The contents of the Workbench disk set in this update are peculiar in that their contents were slightly rearranged so as to make one single set which can be used both on the A4000T and all other Amiga models. Because the A4000T does not have workbench.library in ROM, Commodore shipped a special variant of the Workbench 3.1 installation disk set, and that wasn't going to fly.

Making an installation disk set which works with all Amiga models resulted in disk space constraints, i.e. you can boot off the Install disk, but due to Workbench disk lacking the workbench.library, booting from it is not an easy option on the A4000T. Something had to give

What broke the installation script, which ended up copying the contents of the Install disk to the newly installed Workbench "fonts" drawer, was a change made so that you could more easily install everything from a single disk: just copy all the disk contents into drawers on the installation medium, set up assignments to those drawers and launch the installation script: no more prompting to insert a disk.

Because the Installer tool allows/needs very strict control over whether installation is permitted from an assignment rather than a volume, this caused trouble with the "Fonts" disk. If the Fonts disk was not present, then the installation script would copy the contents of the drawer which "FONTS:" was bound to. Because there is no "fonts" drawer on the Install disk, the "FONTS:" assignment was bound to the root directory of that disk (this is what the boot process does by default), and hilarity ensued... How do you fix that? You can actually test if "Fonts:" is an assignment, and you can test if that assignment refers to the boot disk's root directory. If so, then you can tell the Installer to prompt for the Fonts disk to be inserted and the assignment to be ignored. Even back in the day there was little love for Installer scripts. Now you know why.

Bottom line is: you will likely miss something important if you change anything at all, no matter how little the change was"

Link
  • »26.10.16 - 17:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

rob wrote:

... a lot!

Why write an essay when he could have just said: "Sorry I didn't test it, maybe I should get myself an Amiga"?

:-o
  • »26.10.16 - 20:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    LOL! The Register has taken notice, and proceeded to mock the whole situation!!

Quote:

What will happen if this momentum continues?
  • »26.10.16 - 21:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The Register has taken notice

...and got two facts wrong in the first sentence alone, not to mention the odd picture.
  • »26.10.16 - 22:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

...and got two facts wrong in the first sentence alone, not to mention the odd picture.

Very good points that I glossed over.
  • »27.10.16 - 01:44
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Yeah...not a source I pay a lot of attention to.

And you guys are enjoying this a little too much.
    The whole situation is kind of sad, two old dogs, neither of which has much claim in the matter, fighting over a bone with no meat left on it.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.10.16 - 03:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    And you guys are enjoying this a little too much.
    The whole situation is kind of sad, two old dogs, neither of which has much claim in the matter, fighting over a bone with no meat left on it.

How can we not pay attention? It's more like 2 bums arguing over 3 day old, warm, half full can of beer. You know you shouldn't look but you can't turn away ;-)

But seriously, it is an IP that is probably of universal interest regardless of what Amiga-like flavor someone uses in 2016. Everything originates from the Commodore Amiga, and that ended at OS3.1. At least Cloanto has been there since almost the beginning, adding some value along the way. HYPErion? It just smacks of them seeing a cash grab, regardless of how little that cash may be in practice.

What a shame though. You have companies like Atari basically open sourcing everything historical,and then there's the Amiga that companies have tried to milk pennies from for 2 decades now.

[ Edited by redrumloa 27.10.2016 - 10:29 ]
  • »27.10.16 - 14:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Hmm.. Are things going south between A-Eonkit and HYPErion too?

As seen on Facebook Commodore Amiga page:

Quote:

Okay - two days of email with AmigaKit and Hyperion about re-issue of my AmigaOS 4.1 Class PPC serial number - story so far - AmigaKit says contact Hyperion, Hyperion says contact AmigaKit - call me crazy, but I see a pattern emerging ...
  • »27.10.16 - 19:30
  • rob
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Hmm.. Are things going south between A-Eonkit and HYPErion too?

As seen on Facebook Commodore Amiga page:

Quote:

Okay - two days of email with AmigaKit and Hyperion about re-issue of my AmigaOS 4.1 Class PPC serial number - story so far - AmigaKit says contact Hyperion, Hyperion says contact AmigaKit - call me crazy, but I see a pattern emerging ...

I'm pretty sure that Amigakit used to record the serial number on the customers file but that was when OS4.x came in a card box with no shrink wrap. With the current FE release there is no way of knowing the serial until you break the seal. To issue a new serial Amigakit would have to essentially give him a free copy so it's only Hyperion could give him a new product key.

I don't know the circumstances behind their apparent loss of the serial but the responsibility of keeping it safe and registering the product surely lies with the customer. Hyperion could give him a new one out of good will but they are not legally required to do so.

How would you have handled a situation like this as a dealer? How do you determine if the story is genuine or if they're trying to pull a fast one?
  • »27.10.16 - 21:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

rob wrote:
    How would you have handled a situation like this as a dealer? How do you determine if the story is genuine or if they're trying to pull a fast one?

I really don't know the situation, but both companies pointing a finger doesn't help. If it is like you said, they should have told him tough luck not pass the buck and point the finger at a partner.

Just thinking this through, if he registered it with Hype wouldn't they be able to pull it up and send it to the email in the registration? If he didn't register and bought a physical copy, he may have screwed the pooch.
  • »27.10.16 - 22:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

rob wrote:

I really don't know the situation, but both companies pointing a finger doesn't help. If it is like you said, they should have told him tough luck not pass the buck and point the finger at a partner.

Just thinking this through, if he registered it with Hype wouldn't they be able to pull it up and send it to the email in the registration? If he didn't register and bought a physical copy, he may have screwed the pooch.

Has he lost his serial number? It's his own fault and consumer law will be on the side of the retailer and manufacturer.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »28.10.16 - 13:28