• ASiegel
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I think it should also be mentioned which font you are using, not just size.

It´s helpful context for sure.

Quote:

If I pick almost any scalable font sized 13, it looks (and is in practise) much smaller than my XHelvetica/13. And there seems to be differences between scalable fonts themselves too.

With TrueType fonts, there is always a bit of padding. In a "best-case scenario", a size 13 vector font gets close to a size 11 with bitmap fonts.

As you noted, some vector fonts require higher size numbers than others. There are ways to reduce padding by using custom settings with FTManager, for example, but this can negatively affect glyph rendering so one has to be careful about it.

Quote:

I think a good measurement could be to compare actual sizes of upper case characters. For XHelvetica/13 upper case characters are 8 pixels high, for Bitstream Vera Sans/13 they are 7 pixels high, for Computer Modern/13, Open Sans/13 and Noto Sans/13 etc they're just 6 pixels and VERY blurry, they look almost like half smaller in real life! And that Geit's DejaVu Sans/13 gets only 5 pixels high upper case letters :p

I looked into this too. Unfortunately, I do not have size 11 available with topaz so I picked XHelvetica at the larger size 13, which you also used. The letter "h" in Xhelvetica/13 is exactly 9 pixels tall. With Geit´s Deja Vue Sans Mono/24, "h" is 14 pixels. That is a 50% difference in size although it feels even bigger when you compare the font settings side by side.

Anyway, I was not judging, I was just surprised by the difference in size between the old and the new font settings. Whatever works for any of you is great. The point of this thread is obviously to learn more about it.
  • »30.09.16 - 14:39