• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    No Dave, I LIKE both Matt and Trevor.
    And Matt and I were just exchanging messages that related to my recent crappy attitude.
    BTW - He DOES moderate sometimes, but he seems to be pretty even handed.

Which is why I stated that I was surprised to see you start this thread, questioning, or calling "creepy", the ownership and rare moderation by Matthew of AmigaKit.

Quote:

But, we are waiting on X5000 systems that were put in production quite a while ago, waiting for Hyperion to finish a port of OS4 that is long overdue.

If they were completely unbiased, they would have offered us boards a while ago.

I can't argue this point, but if you look at it from A-Eon's point of view, they have invested an enormous amount of money trying to support AmigaOS4.x, and at one time were even tied together with the owner of Hyperion as a partner in the A-Eon company. I think it will take a huge mistake, or lack of completion of the X5000 port of AmigaOS4.1FE, to get Trevor to give up on AmigaOS4.x and switch to MorphOS (that might not even be something he would consider, as he could get fed up and walk away from the Amiga community, like others have done in the past).

It would be nice if A-Eon would release the X5000 boards and/or systems for sale now, to MorphOS users (and AROS PPC users, if there are still any of those around), but A-Eon may have a contract with Hyperion which states that they must not release AmigaOne hardware, unless it is offered with AmigaOS4.x. That license to use the AmigaOne name probably has some kind of strings attached.

Quote:

I'm glad to have Aeon's support in the community (since I trust the firm they've contracted their design work to), and AmigaKit is the best remaining supplier in the Amiga community.

I'm glad to see that we still agree on this much.

Quote:

But there is a lot of financing being put up for development of the primary OS they are supporting.
    And software packages for us?
    We are on our own.

This may change, if both Trevor and Matthew see that they can make some profit from our market segment. Any money they can recoup should be welcome, as the "RED" ink on the AmigaOS4.x investment side of their ledger has to be huge. It is not unusual in the post Commodore days to have minimum order requirements, or prepayment plans, to get some software and/or hardware produced.

Quote:

We already seem to be losing ground in some areas, so I'm concerned about our future.

That really isn't A-Eon's, or AmigaKit's fault, it is just their choice on which projects to support with financial investments. With their sights set on further PPC custom hardware, and MorphOS moving to, or at least expanding to x64 hardware, it is hard to say what effect this may have on future support for MorphOS from A-Eon.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »12.09.16 - 02:06