• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    The problem of MorphOS is that with its single core usage most of this processing power just does not get used...........

My bottom line: Old ppc systems are still surprising powerful and it's sad this architecture goes down the drain. But we cannot change it and should go our way toward x64.

Here is a stupid question regarding use of other cores, which I think has been asked before, but I don't remember if it was ever answered, and if answered, what the answer was. Since MorphOS currently can only make use of one core of multi CPU and/or multi-core CPU systems, would it be technically possible to run a virtual machine client on MorphOS, which ran on one or if the quad core G5 was ever supported, ran on the other 3 cores? Is it technically possible to write a virtual machine client for running Linux PPC, for example, on the 1 or 3 cores that MorphOS is not using, and either switch to a screen showing the desktop of the VM Linux machine to run Linux software, or if easier/better, install a 2nd video card in one of the PCIe slots, to run a 2nd monitor, where the VM Linux desktop could be displayed full time, with a single mouse and keyboard and shared clipboard?

No doubt it would be more worthwhile to focus on completing MorphOS for x64, instead of spending any programming resources on this VM client for our current version of MorphOS, but I am just curious if it is even possible to do on our current PPC version of MorphOS? If it is not, should we perhaps request such a feature to be incorporated into the new x64 version of MorphOS, as this would solve the initial problem of a lack of native software to run, by allowing us to run a VM Linux distro, accessible from the x64 MorphOS desktop, so we could run almost any available x86/x64 Linux software, until native x64 MorphOS versions can be ported, or created from scratch. One of the concerns from current PPC MorphOS users, is that there will be almost zero software to run, once the x64 version of MorphOS is released.

I am not familiar with how AmigaOS4 is able to run some Linux software, but I assume it is running some kind of X-Windows compatible GUI wrapper, which I have no idea of how it would work, or if that route is a good or bad option for running more available software. Since there does not seem to be much discussion regarding AmigaOS4.x's ability to run some Linux software using that method, I must assume that it is NOT a great solution for making AmigaOS4.x compatible hardware run more software.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.08.16 - 01:37