• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:
    Maybe not, but that is 10 year old hardware. How does it fare against a modern processor (i5 or i7)?

Difficult to say as there is no established test for it. It's clear a current I7 is way above a G5, but not dimensions from it. From the different sources I read I assume a current 4 core i7 should be about 4 to maybe 10 times faster than a top G5 quad. IMHO still a surprising good result for the G5. But I may be wrong with my assumption (thought it would be a bigger difference).

The problem of MorphOS is that with its single core usage most of this processing power just does not get used. And you cannot easiliy benefit from software optimizations done by the gazillions of developers for x64 (like the well known JS or JS JIT examples that impact our small comunity pretty hard). And ppc is not really progressing any more.

My bottom line: Old ppc systems are still surprising powerful and it's sad this architecture goes down the drain. But we cannot change it and should go our way toward x64.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.08.16 - 23:31
    Profile Visit Website