• Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Day 5

Day 5 gave me an excuse for unfeterred retro indulgence. Back when I was an a1200 owner, one of my favourite past times was perusing diskmags. One I enjoyed in particular was The Word by NFA. When I saw the 'Mags' directory in morphosfiles, I was intetested to see if there are still diskmags being produced. I downloaded the The Verge, from 2009, and was impressed by the quality of the production on the whole. I thought it might be fun to have a look at The Word too. This required loading up euae as it was created in Amos I believe. Very enjoyable going through these old vaguely remembered articles...and enlightening how long us Amigans have been holding out hope for a better future. Even in 1995 we felt like a highly endangered and misunderstood species.

The highlight of Day 5 was investigating whether there are any remaining Amiga BBSs. Probably the best telnet client for BBSing on the Amiga is DC Telnet, and this seems to work pretty perfectly on MOS. After a few false starts, I tried Genetic Point bbs in Finland. I was nice to have that mini surge of excitment, as you see 'Connecting' flick to 'Connected' and you know from that point you're in the carefully laid out world of a kindred spirit somewhere. Genetic Poinr is a Max's Pro BBS, which provided additional interest as I briefly ran a Max's BBS many years ago. After a brief explore, sysop chat popped up. This is where the sysop of the BBS can chat directly with you, and I enjoyed a good long chat about Amigas and BBSing with the sysop there. I heartily recommend installing DC Telnet (or SyncTerm on a pc) and giving Genetic Point a visit.

Telnet address to follow :)
  • »23.08.16 - 08:20