Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the AmigaOS4.x laptop/netbook based on the Limebook [...] probably
    > hadn't even gotten to the point of [...] how much those rebranded
    > Limebooks would cost Hyperion to purchase.

According to the reports of Trevor Dickinson and others, the purchase price was the deciding factor for the abandonment of the project.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7967&start=100

That information doesn't change the timing of Hyperion's announcement, to act as a counter measure to lessen the possibility of AmigaOS4.x users from considering switching to MorphOS and the G4 Powerbook, as they were tempted with a new laptop/netbook running AmigaOS4.x, which was not even close to being a reality, both in development, and it the completion of a contract to purchase the Limebooks at a price that made sense.

I don't think you could reasonably expect that a Limebook with OS4 would hold much appeal to anyone considering a G4 Powerbook with MorphOS. As you say yourself, the performance would be pretty poor in comparison. I think the timing was simply because they decided to announce it at Amiwest and any announcement after the news of MorphOS on Powerbook could be viewed as cynical if you're inclined to view it that way.

I don't think there was any deceit here. The project simply failed because the manufacturer had dramatically increased the price by the time they were ready to negotiate an order. I'm kind of glad it didn't happen because I think that even if it had been under £200 it was simply too weak. It's just a shame that Hyperion's limited resources were spent getting the kernel up and running, hopefully the PowerVR support never went beyond a framebuffer.
  • »12.07.16 - 12:19