• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > the AmigaOS4.x laptop/netbook based on the Limebook [...] probably
    > hadn't even gotten to the point of [...] how much those rebranded
    > Limebooks would cost Hyperion to purchase.

According to the reports of Trevor Dickinson and others, the purchase price was the deciding factor for the abandonment of the project.

http://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7967&start=100

That information doesn't change the timing of Hyperion's announcement, to act as a counter measure to lessen the possibility of AmigaOS4.x users from considering switching to MorphOS and the G4 Powerbook, as they were tempted with a new laptop/netbook running AmigaOS4.x, which was not even close to being a reality, both in development, and it the completion of a contract to purchase the Limebooks at a price that made sense.

It was still false marketing (to some degree or other) used to keep AmigaOS4.x users hoping for their own portable systems, and here we are how many years later, and AmigaOS4.1FE is still without any portable hardware, unless you want to count running the Classic version of AmigaOS4 via emulation with UAE.

Even if it had been sold to Hyperion at an acceptable price, the performance would have been close to that of the SAM440, or Efika, which is nothing to brag about, and several times slower than the G4 PowerBooks that are supported by MorphOS.

Maybe Jim is right, and the focus of Hyperion and the 3rd party programmers that A-Eon funds, can be shifted to working on the Tabor, because all the work to port to the X5000 is done, or almost done, but it hardly seems to make sense to delay the release and sales of the X5000 by even one day, if as Jim said, AmigaOS4.1FE port to the X5000 is finished. Those boards have been manufactured for what, over a year now, close to two years? What advantage is there to shifting development focus to the Tabor before the X5000 is finished and available for purchase, unless as I said, Hyperion is delaying the obvious comparisons between AmigaOS4.1FE, and MorphOS3.10, which will be widely reported, as soon as the X5000 is purchased by users of both operating systems. Unless Hyperion is holding up the final release of the port of AmigaOS4.1FE for the X5000 for some other reason. A-Eon's owners, Trevor & Matthew, have no control over when AmigaOS4.1FE for the X5000 will be declared "finished" and available for release, so Ben has them over a barrel in that regard. It is hardly a secret that Trevor's attitude of including support for all Amiga derived platforms is in direct opposition to Hyperion's view point of only wanting the "Official", or only "Real" continuation of AmigaOS to be supported, so I am sure this creates some friction between the two main men, and the companies they directly control. I feel bad for Trevor, being dependent on the actions of Hyperion and Ben Hermans, but that was the path that Trevor chose to go down, so I won't feel too sorry for him and his ability to succeed, or fail. He is a great fellow Amiga user and very genuine and personable to spend time around, so I always hope for the best in all of his endeavors. As I wrote earlier, I really need to stay away from thinking about Hyperion and their practices & lack of performance in completing what they have promised, or stated they would achieve.

I don't think that sales of the X5000 will matter one bit to the success of MorphOS, other than proving the advantages MorphOS has over AmigaOS4.1FE, and possibly getting 1 or 2 AmigaOS4.1FE users to purchase a MorphOS3.10 license key, so they can run both. The success of MorphOS has already been proven. It competes very well in sheer performance, but not features or software, against even MacOSX for PPC, so it doesn't have anything to prove on the performance front. And for those who say A-Eon should just buy AmigaOS4 IP from Hyperion, they can't, at least not for a reasonable price. Ben would probably sell it for 10 million Euros, but from a business standpoint, AmigaOS4.x isn't worth 100th of that price, IMO. In fact, I think it might be a waste of money to purchase even if it were offered to A-Eon at 1,000th of that 10 million Euro amount. Then of course there is the legal nightmare of trying to determine exactly what Hyperion can legally sell to another company.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »12.07.16 - 04:15