• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Eventually, PPC development will no doubt be stopped, just as support for Classic Amigas with Phase5 & DCE PPC accelerators was stopped, but by that time the x64 port of MorphOS should be very mature, and running MorphOS on PPC hardware will only be for nostalgic reasons.

The fact that Classic releases have become infrequent does not mean that the support was dropped.

The fact that when I returned to using Amiga systems, and couldn't get a keyfile for MorphOS1.4 tends to indicate that support for "Classic" systems was no longer really available. Not that I am complaining, selling my 2 Phase5 Cyberstorm boards and buying NG hardware, was probably one of the best things I have done for my AmigaOS/MorphOS hobby. Although, at times I have wondered if maybe I would have been better off just sticking with the retro crowd using the original, or FPGA and software emulated systems. I don't have any serious regrets about any money, or time spent on any of this.

@AmigaKit,

It will be interesting to see what direction your companies go over the next 5 years, but it is hard for me to imagine today, that I will still be using PPC desktop systems for anything but nostalgia beyond that 5 year time frame, if the only hardware available new at that time is IBM Power9, 10, or 11, plus a few small embedded boards meant for routers, or similar applications. Stranger things have happened though. Who could have guessed that Commodore would have been so totally clueless regarding promoting and selling the Amiga after it was first released, and failing to over take MSDOS, MacOS Classic, and Windows 3.0 in schools, business and the home markets? I'm sure most of us who got our Amiga's in 1985, or 1986 thought that they would become the new standard, which all other platforms would try to catch up to, and eventually conform to the Amiga standards. Of course, that would have only worked, if Commodore also had the budget and foresight to remove (over time) all the short comings that were (and still are) contained within AmigaOS and all of it's derived siblings. I really don't see how Hyperion is going to survive past another year or two, if they continue to fail at delivering AmigaOS4.2, with all of the features promised working, for most of the available AmigaOne hardware. How many more users can they afford to lose, as their user base continues to shrink, because they are fed up with the lack of progress?

Edit: Just had a nasty thought regarding Hyperion's past practices with regard to releasing an OS when it had promised; isn't that the way they grabbed control of AmigaOS4 in the first place, by delaying the release of that code to Amiga Inc. until it was far too late, and after law suits from both parties had drained any potential future programming funds from both of them? Every time I think about the actions of Hyperion, it renews my disgust and dislike toward them (him). McBill was an a$$ and a con man, but how is Ben any better, and after all this time, who still believes that McBill could have done any worse? I think McBill might have been easier to reason with, if he were in control of AmigaOS4.1FE just as it stands today. Who knows, maybe if he had seen the obvious differences in progress, features and speed between the beta versions of AmigaOS4, and MorphOS1.3, or 1.4 (not sure if those versions are matched up on a timeline), and maybe he would have reconsidered the offer to have the MorphOS Dev. Team be the creators of the official AmigaOS4.x and beyond.

[ Edited by amigadave 10.07.2016 - 22:55 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »11.07.16 - 04:44