Issues and general confusion
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > You will be able to view up to 720p videos in the browser with less than 40% CPU load.

On a 1.67 GHz G4 with H264/VP8 video?
  • »14.06.16 - 00:10
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I've never gotten youtube to be useable either and I've tried all the above suggestions. I finally gave up and rarely use MorphOS at this point. I have some hope for 3.10, I will at least give it a try.
  • »14.06.16 - 00:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Quote:

Ozfer wrote:
    Now I understand the ole icon mode thing and that explains all the missing file problems I was having. Thats much better now.

Really don't like how it hides files and folders. I am trying to switch the theme to others that are hidden but so far havn't found a way to do it. Also I see there are other hiden wallpapers...

Uh. Just switch to a lister or and browser mode, all files etc., snapshot a window at volume level or mymorphos, all dirs deeper will be displayed in a mode you saved. (volume needs to have a disk.info)

No idea what themes you are talking. There are MorphOS skins, MUI presets, both can be selected easily via preferences. If you have some 3rd party they should simply be in approriate places in SYS:. Default icons can replaced manually (you can also do it one by one in Ambient mime prefs).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »14.06.16 - 00:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Ozfer wrote:
    I also installed the youtube script and youtube still refuses to go fullscreen and cpu usage is high.

Did you wait that video playback really started before clicking the fullscreen button, like explained in the links I gave earlier? If you try to click the fullscreen button while it's still buffering (the small rotating circle), it doesn't work then or until you reload the page.
  • »14.06.16 - 06:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

I also installed the youtube script and youtube still refuses to go fullscreen and cpu usage is high. OWB is at version 1.24 already. Tried spoofing as chrome and it didnt fix it.

OK, let's get over that again.

1. Download the "YouTube fullscreen fix" and copy it to your OWB/Scripts directory
    2. Enable it as seen on this screenshot
    3. Go to the "Content blocking" OWB prefs and add a line to allow youtube.com (as seen here)
    4. Restart the browser, try running a video. If that fails - spoof as Chrome and reload the page.
    5. To reduce CPU usage set the video to either fullscreen or panoramic view.

It just has to work.
  • »14.06.16 - 07:51
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    6. And be sure you don't have flash plugin (plugins/swfdec_plugin.library) installed, or at least in use (plugins enabled). It breaks the YT too (unless spoofing as Chrome would fix it, but I don't think so). For example Chrysalis pack installs it by default... maybe Papiosaur should fix it by disabling it from the default settings or just by removing it totally from the pack?

[ Edited by jPV 14.06.2016 - 13:08 ]
  • »14.06.16 - 09:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    clr666
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

I also installed the youtube script and youtube still refuses to go fullscreen and cpu usage is high. OWB is at version 1.24 already. Tried spoofing as chrome and it didnt fix it.

1. Download the "YouTube fullscreen fix" and copy it to your OWB/Scripts directory
    3. Go to the "Content blocking" OWB prefs and add a line to allow youtube.com (as seen here)
    4. Restart the browser, try running a video. If that fails - spoof as Chrome and reload the page.

It just has to work.

I'm tryin to setting up OWB on both my PB1.67 and MM1.67 (overclocked) and still have about 100% cpu load.
    Maybe some other tricks you missed?
  • »14.06.16 - 09:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > still have about 100% cpu load.

With 720p or 360p videos?
  • »14.06.16 - 11:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    clr666
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

720p
  • »14.06.16 - 12:38
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    Quote:

clr666 wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

720p

To play a 720p video on a PB 1.67 is almost impossible even with MPlayer. On youtube, it is more painfull.
    You should try only 240p/360p videos.
  • »14.06.16 - 13:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Quote:

deka wrote:

To play a 720p video on a PB 1.67 is almost impossible even with MPlayer. On youtube, it is more painfull.
    You should try only 240p/360p videos.

Set loopfilter to skip all frames - it gives a substantial boost (both in mplayer and owb), but in general 720p h264 is the max. you can get on a G4.

Also, youtube was providing (maybe they still do) a nice 480p or something which was really nice for PB and mini G4 (no crazy spinning fans ;)), but for this you need some additional scripting probably.

[ Edited by Korni 14.06.2016 - 16:25 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »14.06.16 - 13:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    I've never gotten youtube to be useable either and I've tried all the above suggestions. I finally gave up and rarely use MorphOS at this point. I have some hope for 3.10, I will at least give it a try.

Why? You are missing a step somewhere. I've done that before when I went away and came back assuming things were the same. Did you follow these suggestions?

What part of Florida are you in? I'm in the Fort Lauderdale area and could fix it if you were local (though IIRC you are not).

[ Edited by redrumloa 14.06.2016 - 10:51 ]
  • »14.06.16 - 13:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Ozfer wrote:
    So I am new to morphos and new to Amiga but I have had many problems with using morphos. First off I am using a 1.67Ghz 2GB DDR2 17' PowerBook G4 with a fresh install. The system randomly hangs and freezes to the point where it needs to be hard rebooted multiple times a day when I am using it.

Sounds like a hardware issue - most likely either one of the DDRs are broken or one of the RAM slots on the motherboard (which was pretty common in those PowerBooks, sadly).

Quote:

I don't know about the Amiga Command line originally but the MorphOS command line seems very lacking compared to linux/BSD. Package management seems non-existant and basic things like ssh and telnet don't work from the terminal

For SSH there's the RemoteTerminal application. Standalone ssh cannot really work due to compatibility issues - the Amiga console has always used a different set of escape sequences than linux. If you want typical nix commands in shell, you should install the SDK. There's no package management from shell, this is no linux distro.

Quote:

Also the GUI (maybe since im not used to Amiga) seems VERY inefficient. Not being able to minimize a program (when I hit minimize IDK where it goes to), and not being able to have a box go even slightly off the screen does not help with multitasking. Having to go up to the top bar to do basic tasks in time consuming, and having to right click to do things that you should not have to hold down right click to do. Take for example in mac OSX, it would be very inefficent if for every program you opened you had to go to the top bar right click and drag up then go to the mac bar. Instead when a window is selected mac automatically puts those choices in the top bar.

All of your complaints can be addressed by going to System Preferences / IControl.
  • »14.06.16 - 14:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    jacadcaps from Canada now?

You do get around all over the world. Are you in Canada for work, or have you come to North America to stay?

In either case, welcome to the left side of the map, and if you are ever in California, I would love to buy you a drink, or just shake your hand.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »15.06.16 - 01:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    This is a problem with new users and Amiga like systems. Its a steep learning curve I guess. We need to do a better job of having an intro run or something for new users that show off some of the basic things. The show all files option should be default I would think too. I never thought of that as a problem since I have used Amiga since the beginning, but I can see how it would be confusing!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »15.06.16 - 03:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    The show all files option should be default I would think too. I never thought of that as a problem since I have used Amiga since the beginning, but I can see how it would be confusing!

Well, it would make program dirs, system partition etc quite mess. The purpose of icon only mode is that user sees only the files which are meant to be accessed. It could cause confusion if all files would be shown, for example in the system partition where (clueless) users really shouldn't mess around that much. It actually is a good feature still and improves the normal user experience compared to other systems which just show all the mess.

But maybe if it would be default mode for USB drive icons, that would be good I guess.

I also think that if user doesn't find this feature, he's been quite rushed to test the system. At least I would imagine that if someone doesn't see the files, he'd start looking the options, and cycle buttons on the right hand side are pretty visible. And when you play around with them the "All Files" option is quite guessable.
  • »15.06.16 - 06:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Well, it would make program dirs, system partition etc quite mess. The purpose of icon only mode is that user sees only the files which are meant to be accessed. It could cause confusion if all files would be shown, for example in the system partition where (clueless) users really shouldn't mess around that much. It actually is a good feature still and improves the normal user experience compared to other systems which just show all the mess.

What other desktop operating systems do that, though? Microsoft Windows and Apple macOS do not. For instance, Windows differentiates between normal files, hidden files and protected files. (The latter category is specifically for operating system files that are likely to cause issues if altered.) By default, Windows hides both "hidden" and "protected" files.

Quote:

But maybe if it would be default mode for USB drive icons, that would be good I guess.

I think it makes sense to aim for even smarter and more universal solutions than this.

For example, Ambient could be extended to show ...
    Code:
    There are X hidden files in this folder.
    <button>Show all files</button>

whenever someone views a folder that contains absolutely no icon files (which is common for resources originating from non-MorphOS systems, such as digital cameras, etc).

This should make life a lot easier for new users trying out the OS without distracting experienced users. (Plus, you could always add an option to disable it entirely, of course.)

In fact, one might even go one step further and trigger Ambient to show files that have certain mimetypes, specifically media files such as known image, video and music types, even if they have no icon but this idea might require more extensive considerations.

Quote:

I also think that if user doesn't find this feature, he's been quite rushed to test the system. At least I would imagine that if someone doesn't see the files, he'd start looking the options, and cycle buttons on the right hand side are pretty visible. And when you play around with them the "All Files" option is quite guessable.

Most Mac or Windows users have never had to look for any hidden files on these systems so it can be a stretch to expect them to intrinsically know they have to do so on other systems.

Besides extending Ambient, as usual, it should be very helpful if experienced users extended the MorphOS Library with more beginner tutorials that explain the basics of file management as well as where to change window decorations and other UI-related settings.

It can be very informative to see what users like Ozfer struggle with as it can be challenging to get into the mindset of newcomers if you are an oldtimer who works with MorphOS every day.
  • »15.06.16 - 08:19
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Besides extending Ambient, as usual, it should be very helpful if experienced users extended the MorphOS Library with more beginner tutorials that explain the basics of file management as well as where to change window decorations and other UI-related settings.

Boot_wb has already started a section for it, but it's still unfinished and he hasn't updated it for over a year now. Some help might be needed there :)

http://library.morph.zone/First_Steps_Using_MorphOS

[ Edited by jPV 15.06.2016 - 12:55 ]
  • »15.06.16 - 08:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    deka
    @ASiegel:

I think, the files without icons treating as hidden is not a good approach, since every file is hidden by default.
    For example, on Linux only the config files or app's private folders are hidden. This is a bit different story.

Somebody wrote here earlier, that some tutorials would be good for starters. Maybe, this could be the best solution. This could be a video presentation about the basics of the OS, placed on the install CD. There is a lot of free space on it yet.

The install CD could contain more documentations too. MorphOS library has the lots of useful docs.

[ Edited by deka 15.06.2016 - 11:57 ]
  • »15.06.16 - 08:56
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Boot_wb has already started a section for it, but it's still unfinished and he hasn't updated it for over a year now. Some help might be needed there :)

http://library.morph.zone/First_Steps_Using_MorphOS

Sorry. As Paul Simon would say "My life was on fire". Took the rather drastic step of abandoning my digital existence for a while to deal with the physically near things (postings to the Guardian excepted in some form of Prospero/Canute-esque rant against the world's rising barbarism). Starting getting back on top of things earlier this year: still got a lot of backlog to deal with, but have cleared the weeds a bit at least.

On the good side, I've been gittin' me some book-learning: discovered the joys of C through the RKRM, ADCD's C Programming Manual, this really good explanation of pointers which I keep revisiting, other people's questions/answers on stackexchange, a variety of man pages (linux, BSD, apple) on every common C function, unpicking a piece of forked code (for which I had all dependent libraries, just not all the functions in those libraries), and Coder's blog (RIP) for some insight and moral support from a former traveller on the same path.

PS - a little script/package should be easy enough to remove those Youtube woes: just a bit of wget, disable/remove the plugin and rename/replace prefs files with included 'working defaults' (progdir:conf/userscripts.prefs, maybe envarc:mui/owb.config if spoofing settings still prove instrumental). Will put something together in this regard.

No idea if location plays any part in peoples' problems in getting YT working...

... also I didn't know about the 'don't click fullscreen until it loads...or else reload the page' tip, thanks for that.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »15.06.16 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Yes. Thanks for the invitation, but me visiting USA is unlikely unless your Congress finally allows Polish citizens to visit the country without having to apply for a visa.
  • »15.06.16 - 13:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Yes. Thanks for the invitation, but me visiting USA is unlikely unless your Congress finally allows Polish citizens to visit the country without having to apply for a visa.

Why, if you have a passport, would you be required to apply for a visa?
    That doesn't seem right as I would have no problem visiting Poland (although I now have to have a Passport to visit Canada which is an irritation as we used to be able to cross the border with only a drivers license).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.06.16 - 14:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Why, if you have a passport, would you be required to apply for a visa?

Polish nationals need a passport and a visa to enter US.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 15.06.2016 - 12:44 ]
  • »15.06.16 - 15:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

clr666 wrote:
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

It just has to work.

I'm tryin to setting up OWB on both my PB1.67 and MM1.67 (overclocked) and still have about 100% cpu load.
    Maybe some other tricks you missed?

Step-by-step from nothing to Youtube:
    This works(TM) (At least insofar as the windowed-fullscreen mode goes):

1) Download OWB, Fab's Youtube script, and Fab's fullscreen script:

http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/owb-morphos-1.24.lha
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/scripts/YouTube.js
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/scripts/YouTube_Fullscreen_Fix.js

Install OWB, and place the .js files in the "scripts" directory in the OWB's main directory (eg sys:applications/owb/scripts)

2) If you have a previous Odyssey installation, rename/remove the config file:

envarc:mui/owb.config
    env:mui/owb.config

3) Start Odyssey

4) Add the user scripts in the scripts control window

RMB>Windows>Scripts
    - Add both the Youtube.js and the youtube_fullscreen_fix.js scripts using the 'add' button;
    - Ensure both are enabled.

4) Enable all media formats in prefs (these are not enabled by default):

RMB>Settings>Preferences>Media
    - Enable all types
    - (Also recommended to set loopfilter to "skip all frames" for slightly improved performance at a slight cost to the video quality)

6) If you have adblocking enabled, either:

a) Disable it:
    RMB>Settings>Preferences>Content
    - Ensure 'content blocking' checkbox is empty;

or:

b) Configure it to allow Youtube content:
    RMB>Windows>Content Blocking
    (Add the following rule):
    Allow *youtube.com*

In addition, it's worth noting that fetching video over the network hits the cpu quite a lot. Video playback seems to be a higher priority than network, as it only start to 'stutter' once the buffer runs out.
    Pausing the video at the beginning to allow it to buffer as much as possible makes a huge positive difference.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »15.06.16 - 17:50
    Profile Visit Website