• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    You seem to have a lot of "problems" that aren't problems at all. Let's get through this:

Quote:

The system randomly hangs and freezes to the point where it needs to be hard rebooted multiple times a day when I am using it.

If it does without you using some software then it's really a hadware fault. Try running "memtest extensive" from the console.
    If the system crashes because of some software you used - then you'd better not use this software.
    If the system crashes when you're surfing the web - make sure you didn't run out of RAM (it's easy to check - just enable the "memory" screenbar - right click on the depth gadget in the upper right corner of the screen and tick the "Modules->Memory"). If you see that your mem is running low - just close the browser and open it up again (sadly there's no other way to workaround the infamous Webkit memory leak issue ATM).

Quote:

I found the OS4 software compatibility thing for MorphOS and installed it to try to get some OS4 software running, so far I have tried OS4 versions of several different softwares and none work on MorhphOS with the OS4 compatibility layer all giving various error messages. Maybe this has to do with it not being updated in years?

Yes, that's it. It's pretty much useless now. Better use the native programs.

Quote:

I have also had issues using software designed for morphOS. Just browsing directories is broken sometimes and results show no files in a folder randomly.

I find that hard to believe. Have you tried setting the view to show/all files? On Amiga-ish systems every file can have an icon (a file with corresponding name and an .info suffix) - when the window display mode is in "show/only icons" mode you see only the files that have said icons. Otherwise you see nothing.

Quote:

Once I formatted a USB stick on morphOS put a file on it, brought it over to my windows computer and it showed up as FAT32, put a file on it, and now the USB will not work in morphos and is completely undetected.

You say the computer doesn't see the disk, or the file?

Quote:

Earlier I downloaded Cinnamon writer for morhpos and tried to get it to work and the file explorer tries opening the HLA file as a folder and it shows nothing in it, so then I extracted the HLA (I really have no idea what a hla is I am pretty new with this)

I strongly believe you mean an ".lha" archive, probably with no icons inside.

Quote:

the copy and paste/drag and drop acts very wonky compared to linux, mac, windows, haiku, and everything else I have ever used. Some times files simply refuse to be copied and no dialogue appears. Other times it works, and then other times it copies and promptly the file vanishes.

Probably the "missing icon" problem? I mean the file gets copied but you don't see it?

Quote:

The web browser has lots of problems. Flash seems to not work anymore

...and that's the way it is, giving there's no flash plugin.

Quote:

HTML 5 video supposedly works, but it stutters so bad on youtube is is unplayable in the lowest quality setting

Download and enable the youtube fullscreen fix plugin, spoof as Chrome32, add youtube to "trusted" in content blocking and put the video in fullscreen mode. PowerBook should handle 720p just fine.

Quote:

Actually how much of MorphOS is ACTUALLY Amiga? Is it 100% new code or does it actually use amiga stuff?

It's 100% new code, based on a few impressive classic Amiga software (CGX, MUI, AHI). The system file/directory structure is an Amiga derivative too. MorphOS has API compatibility and can run 68k binaries seamlessly thanks to JIT 68k compiler built in. The whole system is based on Quark microkernel.

Quote:

Also I am very confused about the JIT 68k emulations. According to what I have seen online this only works with some stuff. Amiga games apparently don't work at all?

Basically the built in 68k compiler gets the CPU sorted out, while the system structures remain compatibile with AmigaOS up to 3.9. If the software isn't written to run under operating system (like most, but not all games), or is hitting the "custom Amiga chips" in any way (no contemporary MorphOS machine has those) it won't work. However, there is much software that just works.

Quote:

Also the GUI (maybe since im not used to Amiga) seems VERY inefficient. Not being able to minimize a program (when I hit minimize IDK where it goes to)

You are able to minimize a program ('iconify' it).

Quote:

and not being able to have a box go even slightly off the screen

You are totally able to do this. Try moving the window with "Ctrl" pressed and if you want to have this option permanently turned on check the "IControl" in system settings.

Quote:

Having to go up to the top bar to do basic tasks in time consuming, and having to right click to do things that you should not have to hold down right click to do.

IControl again.

Quote:

(overall with a few tweaks the GUI is like 90% like mac, just add and bottom bar with a bin and you pretty much have a mac gui clone).

We don't want a Mac GUI clone. And you can have a bottom bar too (Ambient settings->Panels).

Quote:

What filesystem is morphos formatted in also? I have so many troubles converted files to pc and morphos.

That would be SFS. But you can use an ordinary FAT if you want to (especially on your removable drives).

Quote:

I hear rumors that there might be morphOS x64? I really hope so cuz ppc seems pretty dead...

It seems so and there are such rumours indeed.
  • »13.06.16 - 08:31