• Just looking around
    So I am new to morphos and new to Amiga but I have had many problems with using morphos. First off I am using a 1.67Ghz 2GB DDR2 17' PowerBook G4 with a fresh install. The system randomly hangs and freezes to the point where it needs to be hard rebooted multiple times a day when I am using it. Furthermore I am having a hard time running some software for the system. I found the OS4 software compatibility thing for MorphOS and installed it to try to get some OS4 software running, so far I have tried OS4 versions of several different softwares and none work on MorhphOS with the OS4 compatibility layer all giving various error messages. Maybe this has to do with it not being updated in years?

I have also had issues using software designed for morphOS. Just browsing directories is broken sometimes and results show no files in a folder randomly. Once I formatted a USB stick on morphOS put a file on it, brought it over to my windows computer and it showed up as FAT32, put a file on it, and now the USB will not work in morphos and is completely undetected. Earlier I downloaded Cinnamon writer for morhpos and tried to get it to work and the file explorer tries opening the HLA file as a folder and it shows nothing in it, so then I extracted the HLA (I really have no idea what a hla is I am pretty new with this) and it got the files out on the ramdisk, but when I tried copying them over to my hard drive, they appeared to copy but now the file explorer will not show them there... Ughhh.... this leads to my next problem where the copy and paste/drag and drop acts very wonky compared to linux, mac, windows, haiku, and everything else I have ever used. Some times files simply refuse to be copied and no dialogue appears. Other times it works, and then other times it copies and promptly the file vanishes.

The web browser has lots of problems. Flash seems to not work anymore and anything using flash is broken this leaves the Spotify web player, pandora, and most online games non working. HTML 5 video supposedly works, but it stutters so bad on youtube is is unplayable in the lowest quality setting (and I have the fastest powerbook ever released with high speed internet I cant imagine its too much better for anyone else?). As far as I can tell there are no plugins for the browser either would be nice to have adblock or disconnect? Gmail seems completely broken in the browser as it always says bad request or cookies disabled (they aren't). This means google docs, a very usable modern writer wont work at all either.

Across the whole system, I guess java is not supported. It looks like work was going into it for OS4 but I don' think it got anywhere. This leaves us unable to use any java programs or java web content :( add this in with many normal software packages for other systems not being available and it makes it harder to use.

I don't know about the Amiga Command line originally but the MorphOS command line seems very lacking compared to linux/BSD. Package management seems non-existant and basic things like ssh and telnet don't work from the terminal I would also have appreciated if it used more Unix style commands rather then windows style since they are typically shorter but if Amiga is traditionally like that its fine. Actually how much of MorphOS is ACTUALLY Amiga? Is it 100% new code or does it actually use amiga stuff? The inner workings seems pretty hidden from the general public...

Also I am very confused about the JIT 68k emulations. According to what I have seen online this only works with some stuff. Amiga games apparently don't work at all? Its all good and dandy to have UAE, but I could run that on almost any other OS with a better CPU.

Also the GUI (maybe since im not used to Amiga) seems VERY inefficient. Not being able to minimize a program (when I hit minimize IDK where it goes to), and not being able to have a box go even slightly off the screen does not help with multitasking. Having to go up to the top bar to do basic tasks in time consuming, and having to right click to do things that you should not have to hold down right click to do. Take for example in mac OSX, it would be very inefficent if for every program you opened you had to go to the top bar right click and drag up then go to the mac bar. Instead when a window is selected mac automatically puts those choices in the top bar. (overall with a few tweaks the GUI is like 90% like mac, just add and bottom bar with a bin and you pretty much have a mac gui clone).

What filesystem is morphos formatted in also? I have so many troubles converted files to pc and morphos.

Due to some of these reasons, mostly stability, and lack of software it seems hard for me to be able to spend $125 USD for a license. Also keep in mind I am coming from the point of view of someone who has never used Amiga before, and the nostalgia factor is pretty small some criticism may be unfair. At the moment I am highly considering purchasing this as I know a LOT of work has gone into this. And to not be completely negative here this is a AMAZING project. Making any new OS in general is no small step, especially working to THIS extent. Having custom web browsers, its own GUI, its own real flavor that makes it different is a really cool thing that lead me to try it. Even the fact it can run so well on a old powerbook is amazing. I hear rumors that there might be morphOS x64? I really hope so cuz ppc seems pretty dead... sorry this was so long lol

[ Edited by Ozfer 13.06.2016 - 06:59 ]
  • »13.06.16 - 04:58