• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

koszer wrote: That would be it, I believe. Alas, I don't have one (I admit I find it tempting to 'max' my PMG5, but installing a modem knowing I would never ever use it would be silly. Woudn't it?)

I suppose so, and I have to say my need for FAXing thesedays has 'dried-up' so as you say it would only be to 'max-out' the PMG5.

> NewSense wrote: I have also seen a listing for a Sunny MCX Male to SMA Female RG316 Low Loss Pigtail Adapter Cable, which may allow me to mount the aerial in line with the back of the case better than it just sticking out backwards from the back

Quote:

koszer wrote: ...and have a 3mm aluminium shielding? I'm afraid that would pretty much kill the signal.

OK, so I won't be getting one of those, thanks for explaining that.

NewSense wrote: So, what does the RP mean, Reverse Polarity - or something else?
    Quote:

kozser wrote: Yep. The Reversed Polarity are just... erm... reversed. Let me give you an overview:

Here's the RP-SMA. And "male" is to the left! (although it's so often mistaken that it's better to just compare the pictures)

The Male is on the LEFT :-? - I thought connectors with pins jutting out/exposed were all classed as Male connectors, so why are these aerial connectors terminals connectors assigned differently?
    Quote:

kozser wrote: Now here are our adapters and their corresponding SMA antennas in the back.

That is how I expected them to look I suppose.

Also, does the left-hand adapter (longer & thicker centre part) have a sleeved recessed connector inside the collar of the outer part of the adapter (on the side the photo was taken) which would slide into the G5 Bluetooth socket that has a small pin jutting out inside the connector on the back of the PowerMac, as that is what the adapter looks like in the photo ?

If I understand correctly, the one type of aerial is capable of capturing the signals for Wireless and Bluetooth - as long as it is plugged into the correct connector/adapter(s) and terminals. 8-D
    Quote:

kozser wrote: Assembled...

OK
    Quote:

kozser wrote: ...and ready to plug in (AirPort antenna to the right, Bluetooth antenna to the left).

So the connector on the left (of the 3rd photo - G9X28ak) - what is the MCX and SMA pin orientation - I thought it would be - Female MCX and Female SMA, but from what you said if it has a sleeved connector (no pin sticking out) then that is a Male connector - which seems very confusing?
    I know I basically asked the same question above, but, just to confirm what is correct, is there a difference to the aerial type or are they just the same type of aerial, but with the different adapters to handle the different signals?
    Quote:

kozser wrote: See? I even crawled under my desk to show them to you :)

You are tooooo kind, I really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to for me, and I don't think the numbers are offering anything of interest to anyone in reality, certainly not to me. Just a BIG THANK YOU. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »12.06.16 - 02:49