• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    Do not waste your time on him... he is not understanding and will never understand. There are already 200 cards delivered and lots more ordered, after version for A600 new cards for A500 and A1200 in preparation and I think there are also plans to support the big boxes. In amiga terms it is a very successful project and obviously satisfying a real need, all customers I read of are very happy. And if "never-buyers" like him like the project or not is completely irrelevant.

Yes, I am done with that idiot. I just wish there were a block function on this forum, so I could turn it on and never see any of his ridiculous posts again.

Like the FPGA Arcade Replay boards before the Vampire (and by a different person), I wish that both groups/persons responsible for arranging the manufacturing of those products would design and produce them using the cheapest and fastest production methods available, so the users who want to buy them did not have to wait for one or two people to hand assemble every board.

Once the cores for either product are stable enough to release to the general public, then it would be great if they were mass produced in batches of at least 100 to 200 at a time, and available for purchase from all the remaining Amiga retail outlets, who are set up better for distribution and shipping to all countries.

Maybe we would see one or two thousand boards already sold, instead of only a couple hundred for the Vampire 1 & 2 boards, and I think less than that for the FPGA Arcade Replay boards. I don't even see any news about the FPGA Arcade Replay board anymore, so I don't know if that project has been abandoned, or if MikeJ is still working on it and plans to release the daughter board with the socket for a real 68060, Ethernet port, additional USB ports, etc.

FPGA Amiga projects are obviously very popular these days and demand for them is far above current production capabilities of the people working on them. Just think of the possibilities if either product were cheaply available with no waiting, and how much faster they could improve, if they open sourced their core code, so they would get many more people working on fine tuning the emulation and adding the proposed SAGA features? Okay, not open source the 68060 core code, as that might have some commercial value, once they get it working well enough to replace real 680x0 chips in embedded products that still use such chips, if there is still any demand for any 680x0 chips, and if higher performance is even needed in those embedded applications.

I would just like to see any of these projects go beyond the 200 to 300 user base, by exciting a few thousand former Amiga users, and bringing them back to our community, with an interesting, new, powerful (in Amiga terms), and fun little hacker board, plus the already planned for accelerators for different models of the Commodore Amiga.

I for one would want a board similar to the Raspberry Pi, but using the tech that the Dennis VanWereen, Mike J. & the Apollo Team, have created on FPGA, instead of the ARM architecture. With the progress the Apollo Team has made creating a soft core P96 display, plus the already stable and fairly accurate emulation of the Amiga custom chips that is running on the MiniMig, Mist, Chameleon, Arcade Replay & Vampire1&2, plus the 680x0 soft core from the Apollo Team, I can envision a stand alone board being available in the not too distant future, that will be only slightly bigger, and more power hungry, than the original Raspberry Pi board.

Put the right size FPGA on it to allow a few extra input/output pins, and let the Amiga community create all kinds of great applications and uses for it, using the much more familiar and friendly AmigaOS3.x, that the user base refuses to let go of, after 30 years.

[ Edited by amigadave 01.08.2016 - 16:58 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.08.16 - 22:44