• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    the problem is that Amiga OS 3.X is unbeatable optimized for the slow 68k hardware with the specific chipsets like blitter. Aros always was obviously targetting much faster hardware (X86). That starts with GCC that is used to compile Aros but creates much bigger (and I do not know slower) binaries because 68k is not well supported there. I also did some testing and it becomes obvious that Aros is slower with less colours whereas AmigaOS behaves the opposite, the reason (as far as I know) is that it calculates 24bit internal so less means more calculations. To get it on the same level speedwise as 3.X certainly would need a lot of work there (when using it on say AGA). How the situation is right now when using it on truecolor is out of my scope because I neither own Vampire nor similar capable 68k hardware. It would be possible to backport components to 3.X of course (one legal way to get Poseidon on 3.X or RTG without P96) but that would require programmers to do the work and I do not see many left and motivated. Aros requires motivated users and developers participating, sitting back in chair and twiddling thumbs waiting for a perfect Aros 68k adaption will not work and not happen. Gutjahr from amiga-news predicted that but I thought different and believed the advantages of a open platform would finally persuade everyone. I was wrong there (we both learn :) ), so I enjoy what I have and am not too much involved anymore. I will be more user in future I guess :), perhaps do a little programming where interested (f.e. Hollywood) but do not try to persuade anyone in future.
  • »31.05.16 - 09:22