• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

OlafSch wrote:
    Vampire could be fast enough but my impression is that the users want 3.1 and nothing else, even if the other OS would be better.

Thanks for your perspective Olaf, I was hoping you would reply to this thread.

I don't get that impression at all, but you would know better. Yes, some of the fans of the Vampire accelerator are hardcore "Only the original is good enough for me" fanatics, but many of the users interested in the Vampire will be more tolerant and be interested to see how AROS 68k performs and what extra features it has. I believe that if/when AROS is significantly better (not that it isn't already), AND it suits the needs of the user on the specific hardware or emulation being used, more people will adopt and use it. For one thing, I am pretty sure Internet browsing will be better on AROS 68k, than it will ever be on AmigaOS3.1. From what I have learned over the years by skimming through news about AROS, it has advanced greatly the past few years, but still has some missing elements, or undesirable traits, which turn off the average Amiga enthusiast. It obviously has certain advantages as well, but only the smaller user group and developers working on AROS fully appreciate it after all these years. I have stated in the past, on many occasions, that AROS is the most likely candidate for long term success, but I could be wrong, and interest in it might fade away before it is ever popular with a majority of current and former Amiga users. I also advocated a merger of MorphOS and AROS programmers, when the switch to a new ISA was to be made, but that obviously isn't happening, and in hindsight, my wish for that to happen was naive and uninformed.

Edit: If users of 68k hardware, FPGA, or software emulation are only interested in playing old games, then the advantages of AROS 68k are wasted on them, and there is little reason to switch to AROS 68k from AmigaOS3.1 (or 1.3).

[ Edited by amigadave 30.05.2016 - 13:55 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »30.05.16 - 18:51