• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    OlafSch
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    I don't really know anything about AROS for 68k, and still have a lingering (probably misconception) thought that it is not nearly as small, fast and efficient, as the Commodore versions of AmigaOS (v1.0 to v3.1), so it isn't really useful on actual Amiga hardware, but is better suited to emulation.

Can anyone here update me on the status of AROS for 68k and give me an idea how far it has improved and how far it still has to go to be considered as good or better than AmigaOS3.1?

Also, does AROS for 68k have all the same limitations as AmigaOS3.1, memory protection lacking, single user, etc. I am guessing that it does have all the same limitations, as it aims to duplicate AmigaOS3.1, not invent a different operating system for old Amiga hardware. Probably not many users would be interested in an alternative operating system for Amiga hardware, that was incompatible with all of the Amiga software, and therefore didn't have any compatible software in the beginning.

[ Edited by amigadave 29.05.2016 - 21:27 ]

Aros is aimed to be source-compatible to 3.1 so implementing many of the libraries and thus of course inherits the weak points too. Aros is more than just 3.1, it includes additional components and features, f.e. implementations of AHI, CybergraphX and MUI (Zune), Poseidon (USB) and much more. The 68k branch is binary compatible so you do not need special compiled software and often can mix 68k 3.1 software (f.e. libraries) and Aros components, partly even replacing the Aros components. And yes, the old 3.1 is better suited for the old hardware, nothing beats the original there (and propably never will). Vampire could be fast enough but my impression is that the users want 3.1 and nothing else, even if the other OS would be better.
  • »30.05.16 - 13:58