• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    I hadn't heard from anyone else that the video card drivers for the Radeon HD cards were difficult to use ("have to add special boot parameters to get to the desktop").

I was thinking that I will try out Ubuntu Mate for PPC on my X1000, when I get time to set it up and play around with it again. I haven't set it up at the new house, so it hasn't been booted up since last year's Amiga30 and AmiWest 2015 events. Do you know if Ubuntu Mate for PPC supports certain Radeon HD video cards better than others, such as HD4xxx and HD5xxx, instead of HD6xxx & HD7xxx cards?

My machines use Radeon 9650 (AGP) class hardware. That's 5 years before the Radeon HD series was released. ;-) On Linux the r300-driver is used. For Radeon HD cards r600 is used.

I don't know how well PCIe cards run. IMHO the should work more flawlessly since r600 still recieves regular updates.

You may ask specific questions at the Ubuntu MATE ppc thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2301608&page=22
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »24.04.16 - 21:34