• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Been using Ubuntu MATE for a while on amd64 and ppc and it runs really well on ppc if you have about 1 gig RAM and some G4 horsepower

The only downside is that it seems to 'like' NVIDIA cards more than the AMD Radeons, whereas on MorphOS its the opposite. On my Apple G4, G5 machines (with the exeption of a PB 5,8) I have to add special boot parameters to get to the desktop.

I hadn't heard from anyone else that the video card drivers for the Radeon HD cards were difficult to use ("have to add special boot parameters to get to the desktop").

I was thinking that I will try out Ubuntu Mate for PPC on my X1000, when I get time to set it up and play around with it again. I haven't set it up at the new house, so it hasn't been booted up since last year's Amiga30 and AmiWest 2015 events. Do you know if Ubuntu Mate for PPC supports certain Radeon HD video cards better than others, such as HD4xxx and HD5xxx, instead of HD6xxx & HD7xxx cards?

It sucks that Hyperion hasn't made faster progress toward completing AmigaOS4.2 with SMP (or their version of dual core support), and that it takes years for them to complete drivers and porting of AmigaOS4.x to the X5000 & Tabor boards, which seems to grind work on 4.2 to a halt (or what appears to be a halt, since they won't disclose what progress, if any, has been made toward finishing 4.2 for the X1000, or any other AmigaOne system. Sorry for wandering off topic, but my frustration with Hyperion flares up every time I think about my X1000.

[ Edited by amigadave 24.04.2016 - 12:55 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »24.04.16 - 18:41