MorphOS 3.10 to be released in a week!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Isn't what I linked to ("My hobby activity has shifted lately towards classic Amiga and electronics.") enough? For more details (in case there are any) you should ask Krashan directly, I think.

As he wrote on Polish Amiga Portal (www.ppa.pl):

"MorphOS does so well in terms of software that it may be considered as their main system by many. But personally I've found a stumbling block, namely Bitcoin. Then the events took an increasing pace - as MorphOS ceased to be my main system I've longed for some electronics tinkering, assembler and stuff - hence the A1200. And if we're talking about electronics development, then the MorphOS looses again (no software). Your average web browsing on Firefox under Linux is a bit different than doing the same thing on OWB and MorphOS too. I've returned to classic Amiga for similar reasons people tinker with 8-bit computers - the hardware and software is quite simple and easy to understand by a single man, and you can work on both with a compiler and a soldering gun as well."
  • »16.07.16 - 06:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    As he wrote on Polish Amiga Portal (www.ppa.pl):

"MorphOS does so well in terms of software that it may be considered as their main system by many. But personally I've found a stumbling block, namely Bitcoin. Then the events took an increasing pace - as MorphOS ceased to be my main system I've longed for some electronics tinkering, assembler and stuff - hence the A1200. And if we're talking about electronics development, then the MorphOS looses again (no software). Your average web browsing on Firefox under Linux is a bit different than doing the same thing on OWB and MorphOS too. I've returned to classic Amiga for similar reasons people tinker with 8-bit computers - the hardware and software is quite simple and easy to understand by a single man, and you can work on both with a compiler and a soldering gun as well."

I had similar feelings about a year ago, and thought that I would cut back on my support and use of MorphOS, and instead concentrate more on using (and possibly writing a small bit of new software for) my original Commodore Amiga systems, as well as keeping a close eye on the ongoing improvements to Amiga cores for FPGA hardware, stand alone, and accelerators. I found that my interest in MorphOS could not so easily be set aside, and now both MorphOS and 68k Amiga compete for my free time on a fairly equal basis. Both are interesting, with me giving a slight edge to the 68k stuff at the moment, but only because I think it might be a small bit easier for me to create new software for (which may be a false assumption), and because of the work being done by the Apollo FPGA team. As soon as MorphOS becomes available for x64 hardware, I am confident that my interest will flip back in favor of MorphOS, and I'll spend significantly more time using MorphOS on x64, to discover all the advantages it will come with, and hope that it can soon after release, become my main operating system for most common, everyday computing tasks, like web browsing and email.

Since it may take years before MorphOS for x64 to arrive, that gives me a good amount of time to play around with 68k hardware and software, to find out if I want to devote much time trying to write new software for it, of if my time will be better spent devoted to writing software for MorphOS.

I wonder if the MorphOS Dev. Team can/will announce anything about how the x64 version will be similar to our current PPC version of MorphOS, and which development tools, or libraries will they be able to port to x64 with simply recompiling for the different architecture, so programmers will know if their software can be recompiled for x64, or if some additional work will be required to port their work to the x64 version of MorphOS? Maybe that long "run-on" sentence doesn't make any sense to real programmers, but since I am not one of those yet, I make stupid statements and questions all the time.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.07.16 - 19:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > How involved in the actual code was he?

MorphOS/C/Bz2
    MorphOS/C/Clone
    MorphOS/C/Debug
    MorphOS/C/Freeze
    MorphOS/C/OpenURL
    MorphOS/C/Play
    MorphOS/C/RXCmd (co-author)
    MorphOS/C/Time (co-author)
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Aboutbox.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/BetterBalance.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Chart.mcp (co-author)
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Cpumonitor.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Crawling.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Graph.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Graph.mcp
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Hyperlink.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Hyperlink.mcp
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Lamp.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Lamp.mcp
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Pantheon.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Rawimage.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Urltext.mcc
    MorphOS/Classes/MUI/Urltext.mcp
    MorphOS/Classes/Screenbar/Cpumonitor.sbar
    MorphOS/Classes/Screenbar/Debug.sbar
    MorphOS/Classes/Screenbar/Netlamps.sbar
    MorphOS/Data/Bienvenue
    MorphOS/L/debug-handler
    MorphOS/Libs/bz2.library
    MorphOS/Libs/mysticview.library (co-author)
    MorphOS/Libs/neuralnet.library
    MorphOS/Prefs/MPrefs/OpenURL.mprefs (co-author)
    Tools/Debug/Log Server
    Utilities/Fragment
    Utilities/Keystroke
    Utilities/MiniCalc
    Utilities/Tips
    Utilities/Commodities/NoCapsLock
    Utilities/Commodities/ShiftClick
    Applications/Elements
    Games/Shuffle

That is a fair amount of code to be removed from MorphOS, and I suppose much of it needs to be replaced by one or more of the other Dev. Team members, before MorphOS3.10 can be released. But maybe the post from Bigfoot means that the statement saying Tokai refused to allow the MorphOS Dev. Team to continue using his code listed above is not true, and none of that list now needs to be replaced by another programmer.

I hope that is what Bigfoot meant, and that the departure of Tokai was on good terms, with the possibility of him returning to the team in the future. It is really amazing that so many great programmers do work on MorphOS, for little, or zero compensation. Working for free, specially when anyone is having problems making enough money from a paying job, is hard to justify to yourself, and sometimes more importantly, justifying it to your spouse. No doubt about it, programming takes time away from doing things with your spouse and other family members, and if a person is not making enough money to live on, coding for free also takes time away from time that could potentially be used looking for other paying work, or doing other paying work.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.08.16 - 19:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I hope that is what Bigfoot meant, and that the departure of Tokai was on good terms, with the possibility of him returning to the team in the future.

Hope so too.
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »04.08.16 - 21:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I think the week has already passed? Perhaps it will be in two weeks?

:)
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »10.08.16 - 18:58
    Profile Visit Website